M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the deal. Please help make up my mind. Lol
Bought my first Loaded M1A this past Jan. Awesome!! Got about 600 rounds through her and this past weekend I wanted to push her past my normal 200meters. So, I make the proper adjustments(clicks) for 300..350..and bam...
The clicks started to act weird. So, I took a closer look at the rear aperture when I got home.

I Wanted to see why my rear sight elevation nob was sluggush(clicks not very positive like those on tonybens video on rear sight disassembly).
I get her apart and find that the teeth on the elevation nob are worn and not because of me wearing them out. The teeth on the receiver are worn too.

Of course when I bought it I tested them and they seemed fine. Not to mention this is my first WW2/vietnam rifle and I was a bit excited to have one. Now i'm wondering if they were like that when I bought it. I guess what i'm trying to say is, maybe they were played with to much before I bought it. Maybe folks that were looking at it( at my LGS), before I bought it, had worn them out.

Then, after its apart, I find out that the damn elevation nob is cracked just above the 6 on the nob.

Before today I hadn't touched it(the rear sights) with any type of screwdriver. Basically I have just shot the rifle.
Shes all back together now but the issue remains.

What should I do?
Get a new nob? Take it back to my LGS? (I have bought all my guns(6) from there and I guess I know them.
Get a new reciever? Call SA and see what they will do? I have no Idea what my first step would be in the process to remedy the issue. Lookin for some help.

I was frustrated...and now i'm so tired I have started to kinda laugh at how frustrated I was.
I have watched countless videos online and have seen how positive the clicks should be and my clicks have never been that positive. Kinda mushy..like..(was that a click, cause I heard one but the sight didn't move) kinda mushy.

To quote the Dude..."this will not stand man"

Just looking for a some one to help a brotha out.
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I suggest a copy of "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee. This book explains in detail and simple language how to set it up. Your local gun store may not have any idea how to set up a rear sight. Typically what happens is the bevel spring gives up or the on the elevation drum gets worn and your average Joe over tightens the screw to compensate. Or in your case the drum is cracked allowing it to spring. Again the wrong solution for most is to over tighten the screw. The drum may have been cracked by Joe and his big screwdriver.
I have a big pile of junk rear sight parts I bought before I figured out it is better to spend the money and buy new stuff. If the receiver is worn they make a washer that can be glued in place. These thing are questionable at best, but if you need a new receiver it might be worth a try. The commercially available ones appear to be stamped by a punch press. I have seen pics of some that were custom made by a skilled machinist, but I don't think they are available to the general public. It's a time consuming task to say the least.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I'd start by trying to 'dress' the nub on the elev knob back into a shape that will be a better fit with the serations on the receiver. Use a small square or triangle sharpening 'slip stone'. If that doesn't work, then a new elev knob & pinion assembly.

If the serations on the receiver are not serviceable, then install a disk - it is epoxy / loctite onto the existing serations.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
I agree with HOBO HILTON. You should contact Springfield first. Their rifles are warranted for life and they will probably replace the damaged part. If that doesn't work, you can always buy a new pinion assembly.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. Will do. Thanks guys

Deuces

1 - 6 of 6 Posts