M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I can say it doesn't like 55gr ammo..

I think the trigger needs some oil or something.. any help will be appreciated..

I think the serial number says it was made in 1991..
Eyewear Tints and shades Bumper Composite material Automotive lighting
Wood Musical instrument accessory Air gun Trigger Gun barrel
Air gun Wood Trigger Musical instrument Guitar accessory

Jay

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
While it will probably work, the appearance is less than stellar. How about a hex-head screw, retained by loc-tite? That would present a better appearance IMHO.

What's the twist rate of your barrel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While it will probably work, the appearance is less than stellar. How about a hex-head screw, retained by loc-tite? That would present a better appearance IMHO.

What's the twist rate of your barrel?
I am new to the forum and not real faimilliar with this model gun.. Dad bought this thing and sent it out to Texas somplace I think and a smith there put the barrel on it and apparently the trigger job..? I am looking for info on what might have went on here and maybe what to expect? I have some 75gr match shells so I can see how they shoot soon.. I am not sure they will even feed?? I read where some improvements were made after this gun was built?

·
Registered
825 Posts
So it looks like someone replaced the barrel because I've never seen a Mini without a front sight. The trigger stop, I don't quite get. There are better ways to accomplish a nice trigger on a Mini

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am new to the forum and not real faimilliar with this model gun.. Dad bought this thing and sent it out to Texas somplace I think and a smith there put the barrel on it and apparently the trigger job..? I am looking for info on what might have went on here and maybe what to expect? I have some 75gr match shells so I can see how they shoot soon.. I am not sure they will even feed?? I read where some improvements were made after this gun was built?
Could it maybe have been Colorado? Accuracy Systems is there and they do a lot of mini work. You may want to call them and give them the serial number to see if they worked on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it maybe have been Colorado? Accuracy Systems is there and they do a lot of mini work. You may want to call them and give them the serial number to see if they worked on it
Thanks, I thought he responded to an ad in the NRA magazine. Certainly worth a call. Thanks Jay

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks, I thought he responded to an ad in the NRA magazine. Certainly worth a call. Thanks Jay
They placed ads in all kinds of gun magazines. Because mini's benefit from tuning and struts.

FYI, don't post the same questions all over the forum. Most people that have the knowledge you want check out the whole site. Search Mini-14, there is a couple good threads on tuning

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
As for your Mini "not liking 55gr" bullets, do you know the twist of the rifling? Would suggest you try some 69gr match grade ammunition and see if there is any improvement in the accuracy department, or reload for the rifle is another approach. Early production Mini 14 had a barrel twist of 7 and accuracy was not that good with 55gr bullets and results created a bad reputation for the rifle. Ruger today builds the Mini 14 with a heavier barrel which is of course stiffer and accuracy is improved. Keep in mind that the rifle is not designed to be the proverbial "tack driver" but rather a light weight carbine which is easily carried and dependable, it is a "take off" of the M1/M14 design. Quality ammunition of heavy bullets should show marked improvement. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Regarding bullet choice - first determine the twist rate of the barrel, and use bullets that are appropriate for that twist.
If the trigger stop mechanism works properly and is reliable, then there's no need to change it.
My only experience with a Mini-14 was shooting a few shots at the range with another shooter's rifle that he was having trouble zeroing. The trigger was quite heavy and required a LOT of concentration and control to get it to fire when the sight picture was good - but it seemed accurate, and I got a decent group.
Learn how much trigger pull weight you can apply WITHOUT firing, and use that as a guide when aiming.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Seeing this on a PC is much better. It looks like you might have the target model. I saw some other pictures of target models with a larger muzzle device on them whereas yours has a regular crown and no muzzle device. The receiver looks like the same type the Ranch Rifles have. I have the Stainless Ranch Rifle, with the regular barrel. Does it have anything indicating 'target' on it?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Seeing this on a PC is much better. It looks like you might have the target model. I saw some other pictures of target models with a larger muzzle device on them whereas yours has a regular crown and no muzzle device. The receiver looks like the same type the Ranch Rifles have. I have the Stainless Ranch Rifle, with the regular barrel. Does it have anything indicating 'target' on it?
Not a target model (I have one and the heavy end piece is a harmonic damper. The barrel is threaded to adjust it like a micrometer). The serial number is taped on the stock. Poster states it is a early 90's gun. It's a reworked ranch rifle.

I'm surprised whoever worked on it didn't put a adjustable gas block on it

Reactions: brianns

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,117 Posts
Is there any thing stamped on the barrel? Maybe the Smith that did the work left a mark on the barrel.

eQ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carl at Accurcy Systems in CO. looked at it and stated it is from ARS out of Odessa, TX. I am assuming they made the barrel? I really dont have any infomation on what exaclty they were doing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bull-barrel, huh? I think it looks its best w/ the regular barrel on there. The bull makes it looks constipated. But hey - if that is how you want it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts