M14 Forum banner

Platte County sheriff’s department M-14 rifle recovered in Arizona

3071 Views 19 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Seventh Fleet
A rifle registered to the Platte County Missouri sheriff’s office was recently recovered from a firearms dealer in Arizona by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The rifle, an M14, was purchased by the sheriff’s office during the administration of Sheriff Tom Thomas, who served as sheriff from 1969 to 1996. The weapon was no longer part of the sheriff’s office inventory when Sheriff Richard Anderson took office in 1997.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,393 Posts
Yeah, that's weird. I know of weapons that have walked out of the evidence room and people get caught with them 25 years later, but that was actually registered to the department?
m14brian

· Registered
4,084 Posts
I have to wonder if that is the rifle that someone posted a thread about a few weeks ago that was spotted for sale on one of the auction sites. The auction was abruptly taken down after members here contacted the seller about it's legality.

I'll see if I can find the thread about it.

Found it:
http://m14forum.com/m14/108645-real-trw-m14-sa-gb.html

I can't see Gunbroker at work so I can't see if the seller is from AZ or not.

· Registered
4,744 Posts
I don't see how that M-14 could have walked off and not been missed during an audit. I know for a fact that the M-14's and M-16's that I got for my agency from the 1033 program were audited from time to time by the BATF and each one had to be accounted for by serial number.

Back when I retired from law enforcement I had my evidence room thoroughly inventoried as well as all of our 1033 weapons we'd gotten from the Feds. You had better believe that I kept a copy of the evidence room inventory and a copy of the receipt where my Deputy Chief took custody of the 1033 weapons by serial number.

7th

· Registered
4,021 Posts
I don't see how that M-14 could have walked off and not been missed during an audit. I know for a fact that the M-14's and M-16's that I got for my agency from the 1033 program were audited from time to time by the BATF and each one had to be accounted for by serial number.

Back when I retired from law enforcement I had my evidence room thoroughly inventoried as well as all of our 1033 weapons we'd gotten from the Feds. You had better believe that I kept a copy of the evidence room inventory and a copy of the receipt where my Deputy Chief took custody of the 1033 weapons by serial number.

7th

That's the way to do it, to eliminate any problems down the road. Also having limited access to your Arms Room, except for those that have signed for the weapons would be a plus. dozier

· Registered
4,084 Posts

7th
There might have been a "good ole boy" like the one below in charge of the arms room inventory.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/09/1516394/grand-jury-indicts-whitley-sheriff.html

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Well, this is clear and empirical evidence that police departments can't be trusted with firearms. I think that Schumer/Holder/Feinstein/Brady should start a campaign immediately to disarm all cops. It would make the world a safer place.

· Registered
671 Posts

· In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,869 Posts
http://www.kctv5.com/story/16993500/platte-county-sheriffs-office-rifle-found-in-arizona

interesting outlook from the TV report,
"The M-14 is known partly as the weapon used in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare."
you gotta be kidding me?

gotta wonder if maybe this thing came from the gunbroker ad and was tracked down to arizona, after all it was for sale in West Plains Mo. and that's only 275 miles from Platte county.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270454862
what a weird thing to say. about the call of duty thing. It doesn't even sound like something a gamer would say. more evidence some professionals believe google = research. "it got lots of hits it must be true"

· Registered
50 Posts
in utah

kind of unrelated but couple of years back a humvee from Hill AFB dropped two cases of M16A3s on I-15highway. Question- if you saw this would you return them? I leaned toward the "finders keepers rule" myself when it happened. GI1

· Registered
5,177 Posts
Isn't taking guns home considered a perk in some departments?

I used to know guys who brought guns home that had been confiscated during arrests/incidents (not all guns were obtained during arrests - sometimes the officer would "buy" the gun off the person for $5 or $10 in exchange for not arresting the person for carrying a concealed weapon).

When the city judge got a new job in another city he took all the guns in the evidence locker with him when he left. He filled out the letter transferring "ownership" of the guns from the city lockeup to himself, he signed the letter and he ordered the officer on duty that last night he was in town to open the safe and help him carry the guns to his car's trunk (boy they were pissed about that but I'm not sure if it was more from the idea that lack of evidence at the upcoming trials would cause them to lose the case or if they were mad because now they would not have a chance to take the guns home.)

· Registered
2,180 Posts
I have to wonder if the rifle was sold to purchase new equipment for the Sheriff's department. It could be someone did not realize the rifle had to go back to the Department of the Army. A good example would be our local VFW chapters selling 1903 Springfield and M1 Garand rifles, then the post commanders die of old age and no one knows the whereabouts of the rifles.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
7th you are absolutely right, we have three 14s we got from the State of NC, every year they have to be packed up and taken to Raliegh for verification by serial number. If one of us wants to use one of them, we have to sign it out from our property clerk as none of them are issued to anyone.

· Registered
4,021 Posts
It is VERY possible the M-14 did not come from the military. Police Departments can buy class 3 weapons from the manufacturer or importer.

Marty

Even if the PD had a class 3 license, and bought direct from the manufacturer it can only be sold/disposed of to another Class 3 dealer. Not some typical Class 2 gunshop dealer for sale to the general public. dozier

· Registered
571 Posts
Even if the PD had a class 3 license, and bought direct from the manufacturer it can only be sold/disposed of to another Class 3 dealer. Not some typical Class 2 gunshop dealer for sale to the general public. dozier
Dozier, I didn't talk about how it ended up where it was. Just how the SO may have gotten it. Just so you know, Government agencies are not required to have Class 3 licenses.

Marty

· Registered
4,744 Posts
They can also be traded to another police agency. Since I retired as the chief, they've come up with an idea of swapping our three M-14's to an agency in another county. Since I'm now on the city council and over the police department, I quickly nixed that stupid idea. We already have three M-16A-1's that I bought when I bought the M-14's. They were wanting to trade three like new M-14s, one of which I'd added the selector switch to, for one 1033 program M-16A-1. How stupid can you get!

7th

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.