M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Son in Law has a .40cal Glock and wants to Reload some ammo for it. I have heard that you should not fire Lead bullets through a Glock's Polygonal Rifling. I was wondering how plated .40 bullets such as Berry,or Ranier would work. Anyone have any experience with plated bullets in a Glock?

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Plated is fine. I've fired thousands of Berry's and Xtremes through my glocks.

I like them better than FMJ, actually. Cleaner since the lead base isn't exposed like in FMJs.

Plated (indoors) and lead (outdoors in appropriate barrels) is pretty much all I shoot nowadays.

Reactions: Herr Trigger

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Plated are fine. I too use either Berry's or Rainier in .40 and 9mm in both my Glocks and my H&K's, which have similar type of rifling.

I also bought aftermarket barrels from KKM for my G17 and My G22 with cut rifling, so cast bullets are now possible with no problems. Brownell's has them for about $150, and they drop right in. I found them to be more accurate than the stock barrels with both cast or jacketed.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've shot thousands of lead bullets through my .40-cal Glocks...

Check out the .40 forum on Brian Enos's website for more info on reloading .40.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've shot over 12,000 rounds of Berry's and ExTreme plated bullets thru a G17 with no problems.
I clean the gun after firing 200-500 rounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have over 2000 plated through a G19 , no problems here, anyone have any Titegroup they want to get rid of would love to find an 8lb keg.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I too have used plenty of plated bullets in my G20 & G22 and other 9mms I have. You will find a caution to load to less than maximum velocities due to, I think, the possible deformation of the bullet under a hot load. See Barnes' or Berry's website explaining that. I can't remember off hand which had that recommendation. Also I read that you load similar to load tables for lead bullets of similar weight. But read from Berrys/Barnes.

I used to shoot lead SWCs in my G22 before I noticed somewhere or someone mentioned that you weren't supposed to shoot lead projectiles. I reread in the manual and haven't done it since but I didn't experience any issues luckily. Probaly due to decent cleaning.

I think the plating prevents the lead fouling that would cause the safety issue/caution in the polyagonal barrels.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
FWIW plated bullets have not been as accurate as lead or FMJ for me in .38 Special and 9mm Luger. For whatever reason, accuracy has been OK in .45 ACP. However, that accuracy difference may not matter in many handgun applications.

The other consideration is that plated bullets used to offer big savings vs. FMJ. Now, Precision Delta and Montana Gold jacketed bullets cost only a little more than big name plated bullets.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Plated bullets are just about all I use in my Glock 35. Here are some good handloads. The 180 gr. RNFPs by Rainier, Bullet Works, and X-Treme Bullets are almost identical.

Bullet: Rainier 180 gr. RNFP
Powder: VihtaVuori N320 4.3 grs.
Primer: Federal 100
Case: CCI
LOAL: 1.130
Average Velocity: 891.82 fps
ES: 22.89
SD: 8.54

Bullet: Bullet Works 180 gr. RNFP
Powder: IMR SR-4756 6.3 grs.
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol
Case: Winchester
LOAL: 1.135
Average Velocity: 950.91 fps

Bullet: X-Treme Bullets 180 gr. RNFP
Powder: Winchester WSF 5.6 grs.
Average Velocity: 958.76 fps
ES: 44.84
SD: 14.69

Bullet: X-Treme Bullets 180 gr. RNFP
Powder: Winchester WSF 5.9 grs
Average Velocity: 1007.90 fps
ES: 29.02
SD: 9.38

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I only have one Glock. A M31. The factory barrel grouped like a shotgun pattern. The Lone Wolf barrel will shoot the Rainier plated 124 grn. HPs pretty decent, but the Berry's tumble.

May be the .357 SIG is a little too fast for the plated bullets.

I do shoot plated bullets in my XDMs and M&P 9MM and they shoot just fine in those. My M&P FS 9MM really "likes" the Rainier 147 grain HPs.

The slower velocity guns, like the .40's and .45's (even the 9MM compared to the .357 SIG velocities) are most likely good to go.

I will be trying some plated bullets in my new .40 S&W (CZ, not a Glock) to see how they do.

Good luck with your efforts.

Reactions: Herr Trigger
1 - 11 of 11 Posts