M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting down a set of sight protectors and read in several different places that the op rod protectors will not stay on.
The maker and source was not mentioned.
Don't know if reason was manufacturer or what.
Anyone have this problem?
Who makes a good worry free set of sight protectors?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gotten front and rear sight cover sets without the op rod protector. I just use thread protectors or short pieces of surgical tubing on the op rod--not so much to protect the op rod but more to protect stocks on other rifles from it.
"thread protectors or short pieces of surgical tubing" can you explain this please?
What is surgical tubing?
Where would I find this?
Where did you get your protectors from?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Likely only one vendor making the sight protectors. To tighten the op rod protector I squeeze together the plastic “inlet area” with needle nose plyers to tighten them, and often put a strip of black electrical tape inside the area for the plastic part. That will tighten the fit. (I need to find a few green ones to match my green front and rear sight protectors).

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Likely only one vendor making the sight protectors. To tighten the op rod protector I squeeze together the plastic “inlet area” with needle nose plyers to tighten them, and often put a strip of black electrical tape inside the area for the plastic part. That will tighten the fit. (I need to find a few green ones to match my green front and rear sight protectors).
Good idea!
I was looking at these, several places have the green, on gunbroker too, you can buy pieces or here's the set:
M14 Sight Protector Set (green)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know there are much cheaper options but have these on all my Garands and M14 oprod handles. They have never come off and follower the contour to the point it isn't obvious they are even on. I shortened the ones on the M14 oprod.to remove excess material.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep in mind that these protectors were intended for shipping, not for general use. They can mar the finish and promote rust if left on.

View attachment 463657
Well I'll be GTH!!!
Thwarted again!
I'm attempting to keep all my junk from crashing into each other and getting dinged up when I'm putting them in or taking them out.

·
Registered
13,102 Posts
If you look at many USGI stocks, there will be dings on the left side. This is caused by the next rifle's oprod, as it is quickly being inserted into a USGI rifle rack. Same thing can happen in your safe or cabinet.

However, the plastic protectors shown in this thread are not the solution. Those little synthetic caps shown in post #8 are better. Just use a loose fitting one and soak the inside with CLP.

The little USGI plastic protectors are simply used to keep the oprod handle from cutting into the cardboard box during shipping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts