M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you consider perfect or optimal op rod/gas piston/cylinder alignment? If you have pictures, that would be great.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
A lot depends on the op rod. Most are not exactly true. Adjustments can be made to the op rod guide to compensate, but note what KurtC said.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I’m no professional but if the two are making full contact, whether perfectly centered or not, you should be fine.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Off center contact between the op rod and piston imparts stresses on the op rod that can result in distortion and have a detrimental effect on accuracy. The rifle may still function adequately, but not perfectly. Not a big issue in a battle rifle. It is however an issue in a match grade rifle.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
^^^What Ted said^^^

The rifle is designed to continue functioning with a lost oprod guide pin, with just the USGI stock holding it in place.

However, a misaligned oprod will put excessive wear on the tab.

Keeping everything aligned and running straight is one reason a recommend a National Match style spring guide, for all but the filthiest of conditions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Decided to do Tony Ben's Tilt Test for the heck of it. Bored I guess. The rifle passed both tests, but in the process I noticed that the op rod and piston are not perfectly aligned. They're off maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Both the op rod and piston function fine as best I can tell. There is no apparent wear on the op rod or the guide. From what I'm reading here, this doesn't sound like it's a major issue. Any thoughts?

·
Read Only
840 Posts
2 weeks ago when I picked up my newly re-barreled Springfield at LRB Arms in Floral Park NY I asked the M14 Armorer there this same question. He said it is more important to have perfect alignment with the op rod tube and the guide than where the tube meets the piston.

He installed a good condition GI op rod and a new guide for me.

Sure enough my tube is perfectly centered in the op rod guide and slightly off of alignment with the piston. Makes sense to me. And she shoots like a new rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts