M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so Ive been getting some hot rounds. Im through reloading pistol ammo until I can reliably meter flake powder. Scary stuff.

I have a lyman powder meter, but it sticks a bit with the flake. I usually set it to 4.5 of 700-X powder, but sometimes its very inconsistant.... its sticking. Then, it dumps the "stuck" powder into the next casing. I cannot safely reload pistol cases with this thrower.

I was thinking of making a scoop that will only hold exactly 4.5 gr of powder and just filling each case manually. Any suggestions??

Oh yeah, and while im at it- i have a very mixed lot of .45 ACP brass here and some come out perfect and some seem "oversized" after bullet seating. I usually take apart one of my 1911s and drop each loaded round into the barrel to see if it fits- but id say 10 out of 50 are too tight for some reason. Am i over-flaring the case mouth before seating?? Im puzzed and a bit frustrated. It does this with lead SWC and FMJ.

I dont have any problems loading rifle ammunition, but I need some serious improvements in the pistol loading department.

Thanks for the help gents. GI3

DS K.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I used to believe the RCBS little dandy pistol powder measure was topnotch gear. I used one many years ago and it was dead on everytime with powders like bullseye, Unique, H110, 2400, etc.

A couple years back I bought one of my own and just can't get it to perform. Very inconsistent loads, usually way light vs. heavy. I've quit using it till I can sit down and figure out what the heck is going on.

The little dandy uses interchangeable bushings (kind of like a MEC shotgun reloader) that should give consistent volumes of powder.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I use Unique extensively in my handgun loads, another flake powder. I run it through my Hornady powder measure. The Hornady has 2 cavities, a big one and a smaller one for handgun-sized charges. It's pretty accurate and I don't have any problems using it while loading everything from the .380 to the .45's (ACP and Colt) with Unique.

I do have a bit of a 'technique' with it, though, and I operate it manually. I will jiggle the handle a bit to settle the powder, and then dump it into the cartridge. I do it the same every time, the idea is to allow it to settle evenly into the cavity. I worked on this 'technique' some until I got it down, and I have less than .2grn differences in, say, a 6.5grn load of Unique, a 3% deviation.

YMMV.

The scoop method is about the same... you fill a cavity (with an attached handle...) and scrape or settle it before dumping. It's about as precise, I would guess, but I would run some test scoops and see what your deviation would be.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Basically I don't know, but I'll take a stab at this...

You might clean your powder measure. My Dillon powder measure starts to hang up after a while.

You might change powders. Some are easier to "meter" than others. Flake powders (like yours) are notoriously for NOT metering well.

Can't you just visually inspect each case when it gets its powder? I eyeball every powder drop when I'm reloading.

You might ask over at Brian Enos or one of the other reloading forums...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Most issues powder measures have with flake powders is static electricity. Try taking apart your measure and wiping it down with a regular dryer sheet that you normally throw into the clothes dryer. Also spray your reloading area with Static Guard and do what other measures you can to eliminate static electricity.

As for the "bulging" issues, are you using a taper crimp die? If not, you should for any auto-loading pistol. Also get one of those drop-in case gauges. You don't want to necessarily create a "crimp" with the crimping die but just take the flare out enough so that the case fits into the case gauge. Due to case wall thickness variations, some cases will bulge more than others if you're using a mixed batch of brass. Also, brand new brass will be undersized causing them to bulge some.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I used to believe the RCBS little dandy pistol powder measure was topnotch gear. I used one many years ago and it was dead on everytime with powders like bullseye, Unique, H110, 2400, etc.
That's what I use, it's been very accurate down to a tenth. w296, sr-4756, universal, imr-4227 powders usually.
Am surpised you're having issues with your second one. Any ideas why?

No reason the Lee scoops wouldn't be as accurate as any other volume type measure.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
What charlie98 said. There's a technique that really helps with any powder measure. Try getting in the habit of bumping your handle - twice on the upstroke and twice on the down. Try to do it the same on every load. It really helps your consistency - keeps the powder from hanging or bridging. I've never had any problems with flake powders in my RBCS Uniflows (not that that measure is any better than the others).

Other tips include keeping your hopper full, drop a big washer on top of the powder in the hopper, clean the innards, the fabric softener, etc.

All I do is the bumping and keep my hopper full. For single-stage, I charge 50 or more cases at a time and look carefully for any that look different than the rest. I also weigh a random charge every once in a while. One Uniflow is on a progressive where I can't 'bump', so I use a powder checker die to watch for too much or too little.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent replies guys, and I thank you. Im gonna take the powder thrower outside and clean it with break cleaner, then wipe it down with a dryer sheet. ill see if this works,

as far as the sizing issues ill have to look and see. im using a three peice RCBS .45 ACP die.

Yeah, sometimes i have to PUSH my slide into battery with rounds here and there. If i try and adjust the die to make the size smaller, i end up crushing the case.

I had an overloaded case, and im still working up the courage to get back at pistol loading. Not afraid to admit that I make mistakes. Thank God my old Kimber is well built, and for eye pro.

K.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Definitely a +1 on bumping the handle as you drop powder - especially with flake powder. That's one reason I started using AA powders -

Is it possible you are over crimping your loads and bulging the cases slightly? That has happened to me, but far and few between with the TCD....let us know how you progress/succeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts