M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 1943 Springfield Garand with a Fulton Armory .308 barrel,in a laminated stock.The rifle has an SA bolt and trigger group.Upon teardown,I have discovered that quite a few of the small parts are marked Beretta,from the clip latch to the rear NM sight.Is there a reason someone would choose to build a rifle using foreign parts over USGI?
It seems curious to me given the availability of US parts.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Beretta and Breda made Garands and later BM-59s for the Italian army and parts for Denmark. Lots of Beretta parts came here in the 90s when Denmark returned hundreds of thousands of Garands that were loaned after WWII. They are of equal quality to USGI parts.

·
Registered
451 Posts
They are made to the same specs as USGI parts,however, they were made in Italy not the USA . That is the only difference.
I would prefer a Italian made part over a cast repro from China or Taiwan due to the better quality of the Italian made parts.
Just my .02

·
Registered
851 Posts
PB Parts

Top quality parts. Seems only fitting in a way to have them on a 308 garand since Italy converted many garands to 308.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Used to be able to buy a Danish Garand parts kit for $100, included a mix of USGI and Italian parts. Very good quality parts. No need to fret about it.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
My guess is it was a CMP Danish that somebody had Fulton rebarrel for .308. The Italians rebarreled some Garands for 7.62 NATO but they used set-back .30-06 barrels, hence the stocks and op rods are 3/8" shorter than original. A Beretta or Breda Garand would have an Italian receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts