M14 Forum banner

Pictures of my Glen Nelson

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  tgoldie00 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Please refrain from using the M14 Firing Line as a substitute for each individuals responsibility. Any threads asking for a value will be deleted with this Sticky.

Also if you should decide to answer one of those questions, please refrain from giving a value. Without seeing the item in your own hands to inspect, you can be doing an injustice to either the buyer or seller by stating a value.
You can research the Sold Classified Listings (SPF) section below here which has over 7,600 listings, or other auction sites across the internet to come up with a general price for an item(s).

See less See more
#3 ·
Apologies to the mods here for my original post. I admit it’s been a while since I brushed up on my forum rules but gladly stand corrected. Enjoy the pics of my rifle...as it stands I’ve decided to keep her with me. Her first home treated her very well as will her second (mine).

#10 ·
You have a standard profile National Match M14 barrel. In the mid 1960's, they were only made by SA and TRW. They are extremely rare on the commercial market. If the TE is still low, it is worth hanging on to.

Under the handguard there should be a P stamped. If there is a punch mark in or near it, it was on an M14. If there isn't, it may very well been installed as a new barrel.

#11 ·
You have a standard profile National Match M14 barrel. In the mid 1960's, they were only made by SA and TRW. They are extremely rare on the commercial market. If the TE is still low, it is worth hanging on to.

Under the handguard there should be a P stamped. If there is a punch mark in or near it, it was on an M14. If there isn't, it may very well been installed as a new barrel.

#14 ·
The part number for a standard chrome lined barrel is 7790190.

The part number for an an unlined standard weight National Match barrel is 7791362.

The part number for the extremely rare chrome lined National Match barrel is 7791173.

There are additional part numbers for medium and heavy unlined barrels, from the early 1980's.

#15 · (Edited)
I got super lucky with this rifle. When I bought it just about a year ago it came to the shop (I work there one day per week) via an estate sale. The previous owner had all manner of nice pistols and rifles. 1950s - 1970s mostly. Lots of Colt GCNM pistols, a few rifles of similar quality to this one. Almost all of them barely shot or unfired believe it or not.

This rifle may have never been fired out of the factory. When I detail stripped it the gas piston had no evidence of scorching or residue of any kind (sans a tiny bit of oil). Best I can tell it sat in the safe from 1979 until I picked it up. The shop was interested in a quick turn so I bought it at a rate they have been regretting since (less than a new SAI standard ballpark). If we’re being honest I didn’t know it was a Nelson either but folk on this forum perked my ears up when I posted pics, and I then verified though SAI and have provenance now.

I appreciate the further insight on the barrel. That’s some color I did not have previously. There are some oddities about the rifle versus other Nelsons as I understand it. The front sight is a standard USGI sight, not NM. Also the spring guide is USGI and not upgraded. Those are the only two odd-ball things I’ve found to date. The firing pin is USGI black...but that didn’t rub me as strange for the era.

I’ve put a mere 60 rounds through her and she’s a peach for sure. At present I just keep her greased oiled and happy in the safe and will bring her out on rare occasion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.