M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d start a new thread title. It’d be great to see some of the pictures all of you have taken over the years, and some from recent shipboard reunions/conventions/events, etc., if you have them.
So Post em’ if you Got em’!!!!

I’m starting it out with some pictures I posted over on http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/

And hey add a “sea story” to the pictures also… I know you all have them, I sure do…

U.S.S. LEAHY (DLG-16) 21 Mar 70 - 05 Aug 71, homeported at D&S Piers, Norfolks, VA.

U.S.S. JOHN ADAMS (SSBN-620)G, 10 Jan 72 – 26 Jun 73, homeported at Pearl Harbor, HI, crews were swapped at Squadron 15, Apra Harbor, Guam.

U.S.S. PINTADO (SSN-672) Temp Duty (TAD, two weeks) Aug 75, homeported at Ballast Point, San Diego, CA

May You All Have Fair Winds and Following Seas….

· Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snipes Rule!!!!

Good see it was a fellow “Fair Weather” Snipe USN2 IC Electrician that ponied up with a reply and some great pictures of his time in the Gator Navy… BRAVO ZULU Indiangoldeagle!!!!

· Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
USMC Related...

This ex IC-2 will add a couple shots of his former homes.
USMC LVT arriving off Morehead City NC
Great picture of the LVT entering the well deck while the PLYMOUTH ROCK is ballasted down.
Yes, I hope we have some contributions from our USMC brethren who all got free non-paid cruises courtesy of us. I'm sure they have many great pictures and stories to share also... Which reminds me… On another website a few years ago I saw where a guy scanned a picture of a PI made up patch. It had the picture of a bridge with shanty type buildings in the back ground, at the bottom it proudly stated 100 Trips across the S%^t River Bridge in Olongapo…. He had some kick azz scanned pictures too accompany it, which all of us 55-60+ former Sailors can relate to.

· Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shared thoughts, no more no less…

After last night’s very successful USSVI local “base meeting” I figured I’d post a couple of more pictures, in tribute to one of my fellow Navy Veterans, Dave, ICCS(SS)(Ret.)

But before I do I wanted to mention our guest of honor who attended our dinner. We were blessed to have a Gal whose father was the COB (Chief of the Boat) in the U.S.S. SHARK (SS-174), lost on February 11th 1942, the fourth U.S. submarine lost in WWII, and the second lost do to direct enemy action. Her few comments to us all at our meeting and during a private offline phone conversation I had with her were crushingly HEAVY emotionally to say the least. It really brought it home to me how many children born right before and during WWII grew up without ever knowing their Fathers. Here below is a link to her Father’s crew list of the 174 Boat.

http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/uss-shark-174.htm

And here are two pictures of the 663 Boat, the U.S.S. HAMMERHEAD (SSN-663)…. At the North Pole Nov of 70. It was a tour by my IC “A” School buddy Dave of his boat earlier in August of 70 at D&S Piers, Norfolk, VA which got the ball rolling to cause me to finally put in a “Chit” for SubSchool sometime around March of 71… Probably the best military career decision I ever made.

· Registered
3,405 Posts
Here are a couple of my favorites:

First PBR ties up at Long Xuyen, summer '66.

Both cans i served on tied up together: DD718 & DD716

Highlining the Chaplain

My favoritey guard duty pal, . . . my M60.

May God bless,
Dwight

· Registered
9,086 Posts
Really enjoyed all those pics fellas. Those boats are awesome machines. You guys sure have been to some far away places and done some kick a$$ stuff.

Thanks.

· Registered
4,744 Posts
I don't have any pics on this recently crashed and reconfigured computer but I have a link to my ship, the USS Rainier AE-5's website with lots of good pics and history. I served on her from Oct62-Aug66 as a Radioman 2nd Class P.O. with a crypto NEC, that I never got but that's another story for another day.

http://ussrainier.com/

7th

· Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OHIO Class Boomers!!!

USS ALASKA SSBN732
BRAVO ZULU!!!!!...Many Thanks!!.. Great Pictures of the 732 Boat!!! Especially of the topside maneuvering watch on the missile deck heading into Pearl Harbor!!!

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
A few photos from RVN 67-68. 1. Playboy club An Hua Village I corps Just outside the base I was at, Chu Lai 1967. 2. Dogpatch outside base at Danang early 1968. 3. Fishing with frag granades Danang Harbor early 1968. 4. Boats in Danang harbor early 1968 , don't know what the are, I was a Marine and only look at ships,I hate salt water.
Semper Fi
Sgt. USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Awesome pictures fellas!

· Registered
12 Posts
A few photos from RVN 67-68. 1. Playboy club An Hua Village I corps Just outside the base I was at, Chu Lai 1967. 2. Dogpatch outside base at Danang early 1968. 3. Fishing with frag granades Danang Harbor early 1968. 4. Boats in Danang harbor early 1968 , don't know what the are, I was a Marine and only look at ships,I hate salt water.
Semper Fi
Sgt. USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68
Great shot of a couple LST's. The one on the left in your photo is USS WHITFIELD COUNTY LST-1169 http://www.hullnumber.com/LST-1169 . Can't make out the number on the ship on the right. These are old Tank Landing Ships, diesel powered, flat bottom rough riders.

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
Thanks Indiangoldeagle. Never new what they were. That's interesting. My Dad served on an LST during the time of the Okinawa landing. He never talked about it much except that he had a lot of respect for the Marines that went ashore. Oh yea he did say that he got to spar with Joe Lewis on one.
Semper Fi
Art

· Registered
3,405 Posts
Thanks Indiangoldeagle. Never new what they were. That's interesting. My Dad served on an LST during the time of the Okinawa landing. He never talked about it much except that he had a lot of respect for the Marines that went ashore. Oh yea he did say that he got to spar with Joe Lewis on one.
Semper Fi
Art
And here is a little extra information on that LST: pick when the photo was taken, . . .

"Underway on 22 January 1968 with a cargo of two pontoon causeway sections, the vehicles and men of BMU-1, and a CH-46 helicopter, with its accompanying Sea Van — an experimental housing seeing its first operational test and evaluation aboard Whitfield County — the ship headed for Vietnam. Touching at Naha en route, Whitfield County reached Danang on 31 January 1968, transferred the Sea Van to USS Vernon County, and relieved Vernon County as support landing ship tank for Amphibious Ready Group Bravo. With the relief and transfer of the Marines and equipment completed, Whitfield County took on board the men and mail to be transported to Amphibious Ready Group Bravo and got underway on 2 February 1968

Over the ensuing month and a half, Whitfield County operated with Amphibious Ready Group Bravo within various operating areas off the DMZ, occasionally returning to Danang for mail, fleet freight, and passengers for delivery to the other units of the ready group. Whitfield County also sailed to Subic Bay as part of the task force for upkeep between 21 February 1968 and 28 February 1968 before she returned to Vietnamese waters. Landing ship tank USS Terrell County (LST-1157) relieved Whitfield County as support landing ship tank at Danang on 14 March 1968.

After a subsequent port call at Hong Kong and a quick run to Yokosuka for restricted availability, Whitfield County returned to Vietnamese waters for a resumption of operations with the Mobile Riverine Force in mid-July 1968 at Dong Tarn, again relieving Vernon County. During her deployment with Task Force 117 in ensuing months, Whitfield County operated on a nearly non-stop, 24-hour-a-day basis, supporting the U.S. Army's 4th Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment), 9th Division, and three helicopters of a U.S. Army aviation detachment, as well as the boats and men of River Assault Division 92. By the time landing ship tank Westchester County relieved Whitfield County on 23 September 1968, Whitfield County had travelled over 900 nautical miles (1,667 kilomters) within the Mekong Delta, processed over 25,000 hot rations, and handled roughly 4,000 tons of cargo.

Subsequently visiting Bangkok, Thailand, for rest and recreation and R, Whitfield County then headed for Danang, where she side-loaded tow causeway sections for transportation to Okinawa. She then returned to Yokosuka for repairs before again heading for Vietnam toward the end of November 1968. Touching at Subic Bay en route, she reputedly became the first landing ship tank to use water-filled causeway sections to serve as armor along the thinly-armored sides of the ship. The causeway sections were intended provide a water-filled barrier against recoilless rifle projectiles and rockets.

After relieving landing ship tank USS Washtenaw County (LST-1166) at Dong Tarn on 30 November 1968, Whitfield County spent the rest of 1968 as support landing ship tank for Mobile Riverine Group Alfa, Task Group 117.1, one of the two task groups that made up Mobile Riverine Flotilla 1. Other ships of Mobile Riverine Group Alfa were the barracks ships USS Benewah (APB-35) and USS Colleton (APB-36), the landing craft repair ship USS Sphinx (ARL-24), and the barracks craft USS APL-26 and USS APL-80 . Embarked in Whitfield County were elements of the Army's 9th Infantry Regiment and a Cyclops aviation detachment, equipped with Hughes CH-6 Cayuse helicopters. The ship herself performed a fivefold role: (1) maintaining a round-the-clock, air- and water-mobile resupply readiness to provide field units with ammunition, rations, fresh water, and fuel; (2) serving as a mobile base for helicopter operations; (3) providing harassment and on-call gunfire support when necessary; (4) supplying boat service among the ships of the Mobile Riverine Group; and (5) providing subsistence, berthing, and services for embarked personnel." (preceeding information compliments of Wikipedia and a squid)USNA

May God bless,
Dwight

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
That is so cool. I did not know that info was even available. Sorry for the slides that were in the digitizer backwards. At the time I had a Ricoh 500 35MM camera that I bought from a friend that was going back to the world and all the slides were in my attic for the last 40 years in a Chock ful o nuts coffee can. I never had a slide projector so I had not seen most of these. I am having a ball now. Thanks for all the great info. If I come across more ships and water, I will share them with you swabbies.
Semper Fi
Art

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
Found a few more sailor related. 1. Handing arround Danang while goofing off. Navy pickup in photo. 2. Medivac coming in at hospital Danang while I was there hanging out. 3. River patrol boat. 4. Shuttle boat thingie. 5. For the Sea Bees. Looking for more.
Semper Fi
Art

· Registered
3,405 Posts
I took a look, . . . here are a few more that I always liked:

There are 5 young women in the first pic, . . . by noticing their "eye-zow" (dress) does not have a print or decoration, you know they are all single. The lady at the extreme left has a design in her's, . . . she's married USNA

The traffic scene is somewhere northward of the PX in Cholon (Saigon) and in it you can see some of the many means of transportation that was used then.

The next one is the Long Xuyen version of McDonalds. It was a roadside restaurant, looking out over the river to your left.

You sailors will recognize the next one, . . . and our kids all worry about having a room of their own USN3

The last one is the US Navy @ Long Xuyen version of "Inside the Wire"

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.