M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have recently acquired a very high end AR-15 barrel for basically free. The catch is that the previous owner broke off a boresnake in the bore. The bore is basically plugged from an inch into the muzzle, all the way to the front of the chamber.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get it out. Anyone have a clue? At first I was thinking of putting the barrel on a receiver, loading a blank round and trying to blast it out. But on second thought, that might not be best idea I've ever had.

Reactions: Eddard Stark

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If the "body" of the snake is still hanging out of the breech or the barrel (not the pull string part), soak everything in oil overnight and leave it. The next day, grab the body of the snake, preferably at the barrel end if that's an option, and begin twisting it. What I mean is, turn the body clockwise or counter clockwise (in the same direction of your rifling if you can figure that out) as if you were trying to wring the water out of a wet towel. Keep twisting like that and don't stop. When you get to the point where you feel like it's twisted about as tight as it's going to get, begin pulling. Keep twisting and pulling. Be patient, it might take a little time for the thing to work itself loose, but eventually it should.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Soak it with kerosene and burn it out a little at a time? Put the flame out by starving oxygen before it gets too hot.

Find some mild acid that won't hurt the barrel?

Drill it out very carefully. You could make a drill from a piece of brass or aluminum rod that would not hurt the barrel. It would not have to have flutes, just sharpen the end and drill and peck a little at a time.

I got a rag out of the bottom of a metal bayonet scabbard one time by brazing a small sheet metal screw to a rod. I would screw it in by hand and snatch a little out at a time. It took a while, but I got it out. (Bought it that way)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If the metal end of the Bore Snake was not lodged in the barrel, I would soak the barrel with penetrating oil for a few days, then try to use compressed air to blow out the obstruction. If oil blows by the obstruction, I would pack the chamber with grease and apply compressed air again and use hydraulic pressure to remove the obstruction.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Think on this.....
You can cut and straighten Wire Coat Hanger
Grind the end to a point and cut a barb into it, i.e. a Fish Hook
Then see if you can determine which end the BoreSnake's Loop is
If so, you'll want to insert the "Hook" into the BoreSnake, push it well into the Loop and pull from that end
It should pull it back out, since it's "wedged" in at the String end

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm looking for suggestions on how to get it out. Anyone have a clue? At first I was thinking of putting the barrel on a receiver, loading a blank round and trying to blast it out. But on second thought, that might not be best idea I've ever had.

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts
Another option is a bunch of short wood dowls about 4in long each, cut off the bore snakes cord and then drive one short dowl in at a time, add some oil for some added slicksion. A few raps from the BFH and your done

Reactions: XUSNORDIE

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Did this guy even put the bore snake in correctly?.....where is the "brush" end? That is the issue....the other end is a mute point...

"if" the brush end is a inch from the chamber I am in favor of the dowel method mentioned by Phil......push slow and deliberate letting the brush rotate the rifling until you have enough come out the muzzle you can grab to pull out....maybe by putting that end of the snake into a vice and pulling....

don't ask how I know.....but it works......

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The last resort.........

AFTER you have tried the other ideas..........

Soak the inside bore with some type of lube (10 weight oil, etc) from both ends.

Take a piece of all thread rod (smaller than the bore) and file/grind the end to a point and fashion it like a "tap". Work from the chamber end. Clamp the all thread rod into an electric drill. Slip something, loose fitting, like a drinking straw over the all thread rod. Lubricate the end of the rod and "drill" it into the bore snake. Clamp a "slide hammer" onto the all thread rod and bump the all thread rod out of the barrel. The barrel is chrome lined so it is harder than the all thread.

Again....... Use this method as a last resort. There are risk involved.

Hobo

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Please DO NOT EVER PUT WOOD DOWN THE BORE AND HIT IT!!!! When that wood shatters and REALLY wedges in the bore you have just bent over and grabbed your ankles!! Murphy is not known for using KY. (I've read about plenty of horror stories)

As ericscher points out, that snake is a fancy braided shoelace. Ever push a soft rope? It only gets wider. You will make things worse if you push on it! They are designed to be pulled only. It doesn't matter what direction. My snakes are pretty old (80s) but all were longer than the barrel so you could always pull one way or the other. I guess they got cheap. :-(

An inch from the muzzle begs for a variation of ericscher/MemphisMachinists/DenStinett/Hobo Hilton's idea: Tape a wood deck screw so it doesn't contact the rifling, screw it in an inch or so into the snake, pull it out.

However you do it, best bet is to pull.

If you ever have to put something in the barrel to tap on, use a piece of steel and wrap it with tape at intervals to keep it off the rifling.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I am assuming that the brush portion of the bore snake is still in the bore.

If so then I would pour some copper specific solvent down the barrel, if he was using the bore snake right this would be the muzzle. Do this for several days.

It should weaken the copper/bronze bristles and allow you to pull the bore snake out from the chamber end with out damaging the barrel...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Bore Snakes are sturdy. If the barrel donor broke a Bore Snake, it must really be wedged in there.

Let us know what works to remove the Bore Snake from the barrel. Hopefully it won't require a torch or band saw.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
How about giving it to me? I love a challenge. I have an empty lower and a few other "spare" parts.GI3 I am pretty sure I can drill it out with a hand sharpened brass drill bit. I need another AR like I need another hole in my head but....GI1

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,708 Posts
Find a piece of tubing that fits in the bore, find a aircraft drill that fits inside the tubing, cut a piece of the tubing that fit in the muzzle with about 1 inch sticking out, chuck the drill in a battery drill motor and drill the bore snake out make sure to keep the tubing against the bore snake. I would only drill about 1 inch and then try to push the bore snake out from the muzzle.
I used this same technic to drill out a broken lower butt plate screw in the rear swivel on a M14 fiber glass stock.

Casey

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Whatever you do.........................REPORT BACK!

GI2

You've got our attention now.

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: MemphisMachinists

·
Eye Master
3,867 Posts
I'd find an old bolt. Drill it, and screw in a grease fitting. Clip a grease gun on the back of the bolt, and start pumping the back of the barrel full of grease.

The bore snake is no way going to stand up to a few thousand PSI of grease being forced up the back of it. If it works and the guy wants his barrel back, you can tell him "Molon Lube".

The other thing is to see if you can find a cork screw that will fit in there and screw itself into the bore snake. They used to make these tools for muzzle loaders, so they could screw into a lead ball to pull it out of the barrel.

I must say, I am also tempted by your 'shoot it out' approach. Maybe start with just a primer, and go up by a half grain at a time. Ain't no way a boresnake will stand up to the kind of pressure a barrel sees as a matter of regular firing. I'd drink a bunch of beer before trying it.

If that scares you too much, get a brass dowel and pound it out. Brass is way softer than steel - you cannot mar steel with brass if you tried, so I'd get sections of 3/16 rod and bash them in.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Find a piece of tubing that fits in the bore, find a aircraft drill that fits inside the tubing, cut a piece of the tubing that fit in the muzzle with about 1 inch sticking out, chuck the drill in a battery drill motor and drill the bore snake out make sure to keep the tubing against the bore snake. I would only drill about 1 inch and then try to push the bore snake out from the muzzle.
I used this same technic to drill out a broken lower butt plate screw in the rear swivel on a M14 fiber glass stock.

Casey
This sounds like it might work, but like some of the others have said pushing it will only make it tighter. Ill bet there has already been some pushing and that thing is packed up like restricted bowels. Sounds like somebody got it stuck and ended up having to replace the barrel on their pea shooter. GI3 Got pissed about it and gave the thing away. GI1 I'm used to people bring me stuff after they break a drill bit or ease out off in it. GI3 A bore snake is nice and soft like a heavy duty shoe string aint it. GI1 I've never used one, but I have seen them at gun shows.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Repeated applications of red hot coat hanger will eventually do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts