M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 M1a NM, serial 04xxxx, 1987 production based on chart I looked at. The gentleman I acquired this rifle from used it competitively. Has not been used for some time, probably since the '90's. He either couldn't remember, or didn't want to bother with lots of details on the rifle and i didn't push. Built (or enhanced) by an armorer in Illinois National Guard or something like that, not clear, Obviously very closely bedded. I am not sure what barrel it has, I can see Geneseo on the barrel at chamber area. Wood looks like it is polyurethane type of finish, quite shiny. Hinged floorplate is covered with something like black shoo goo.

I have been reading posts on how to handle heavily worked M1a's like this, and that is what I need to know. I want to disassemlbe, clean, etc before i take it to the range and I don't want to do anything stupid with it.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,639 Posts
It looks good Kendall.

DI5

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few more questions:

Suggested tools for maintenence?

How do I tell if the receiver is forged or cast? Does it make a difference other than warm fuzzies? The bolt looks like it has military numbers on the top of it.

Gas pressure- is the rifle sensitive to pressure curves similar to the Garand? Recommended bullet weights? 150 gr? 168 gr? 175 gr? I am a handloader and have thousands of 7.62 LC cases on hand.

Am I safe running foreign milsurp through it? South African? Australian? (Eat your hearts out, I still have supplies of both. :) )

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,639 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Rifle looks very nice. I would take it down and thoroughly clean it since you don't know how long it's been since that has been done. You'll need the drill bits to clean the carbon from the piston and plug and the rest is normal cleaning and lubing (no lube on the piston or in the cylinder). I assume you've seen this thread, but if not, check it out: http://m14forum.com/reference/96750-m14-detailed-lubrication-instructions.html

tonyben also has some excellent vids on the M14.

Your receiver is cast, but it is GTG! In addition to the drill bits, you'll want to pick up a flash hider wrench to get the castle nut off.

When you disassemble it, take some pics of any markings you find and I'm sure the good men here will let you know what you have. Prob'ly many USGI parts on 'er!

You'll have to let us know how she shoots!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
great looking rifle! be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
How do I tell if the receiver is forged or cast? Does it make a difference other than warm fuzzies? The bolt looks like it has military numbers on the top of it.
Forged receivers do give you the warm fuzzies. Even the Chinese ones, apparently. Your rifle more than likely is assembled from USGI parts, the real military M14 stuff, except for the receiver, of course.

You may have an issue removing the action from a glass-bedded stock. Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Southern IL.
If your rifle has been bedded, then I would not break the action from the stock. It can be maintained without removing the action and as stated check out Tony Bens videos they are an excellent source of information.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would agree as well not to pull the action out of the stock. There really isn't a need. Also, leave the flash hider on. No benefit will come from removing it. Clean the gas system, pull the trigger group and ensure it is clean and lubricated, clean the barrel and chamber. Review the chart on lubrication. Bottom out the sight, count up about 5-8 clicks and sight it in. Start at 50 yds to build confidence and then move onto 100.

When you clean it, take pictures of the parts. Visually inspect for unusual wear patterns. These rifles are meant to shoot. You don't need to be gentle, just become informed about handling, proper loading techniques, safety, and what the rifle's capabilities are. The videos referenced earlier are superb. Then when you have additional questions, come back to this site and ask away.

Bruce

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I was 18 in the mid-'80s and shooting in one of the two required matches to qualify for a DCM M1 rifle, the shooter to the left of me was a middle-aged CA Army National Guard competitive shooter firing his issued M14 NM-conditioned rifle. I spoke with him for some time about his rifle, and he told me "you don't field strip a NM M14 like you would a standard issue rifle. If you pull the action out of the stock, it degrades accuracy since it was bedded, and there's no need to clean it other than running a patch through the bore". I was fascinated by that. You could see the carbon mixed in with the grease, but he was completely unconcerned. Of course, he didn't have any malfunctions, either.

BTW, the ID ANG still uses M14 rifles NM-conditioned by their armorers for their state rifle teams. When the 116th deployed to Iraq, those rifles went with them DI2. So much for being "obsolete".

I don't have any experience with NM M14 or even M1 rifles, but I've never heard of one being field stripped for routine maintenance.

Enjoy your rifle. If she shoots as good as she looks, you have a keeper.

ETA: You'd be just as well off if you found a trained gunsmith or National Guard armorer (I say National Guard because they're still familiar with 'em) that had a complete set of gauges that could inspect your rifle (TE, ME, barrel straightness, flash suppressor alignment, firing pin erosion, etc.) rather than pulling a match conditioned M14 rifle apart for an LTI-type inspection prior to firing it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Beautiful piece...enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks much everyone, have some reading to do, and a few items to purchase. Couldn't resist this morning, ran a swab down the barrel, lubed it and put ten rounds of South African through it. Two inch groups off truck hood sandbags, but about one foot low. Rear sight set at 200, but I am going to shoot some 168 Fed GM match through it to check elevation before I change sight settings.
Thanks again for the welcome and helpful info.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Black shoe goo, if sticky could be what it called position in a can(Hawkeye). Spray a small amount on the stock and its sticks/clings too the shooter's shoulder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
m14 maintenance

Hi. For your m14 maintenance, Google Glen zediker. He has some of the very best articles on the m14. He is great. Also I would not take anything out of the stock for a glass bedded national match m14. You will just degrade the accuracy. Have fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts