kinda crappy pics, but whaddayagonnado?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Kinda crappy pictures, but ... looks good from here!

What does MK 1 signify?? A new one on me.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MKI rifles were modified to take the Pedersen device, a nifty little mechanism that replaced the bolt, and allowed the rifle to fire special .30 pistol cartridges from a 40 round magazine that stuck up out of the receiver to the right, and ejected casings through the hole in the left side of the receiver.

A very forward-thinking idea, but unfortunately it came too late in the war (Produced 1918-1920) to make any real impact. IIRC about 65,000 devices were made for a few years, but nearly all were destroyed by the Army in the early 30s because they didn't want to store them.

Anyone got one lying around? I'll give you 50 bucks... GI2

More info fyi

John Pedersen, a long time employee of Remington Arms, was aware that the US would be entering the war at some point. Concerned about the inability for troops to effectively fire on the run while attempting to cross "No Man's Land", he decided to start studying the problem of semi-automatic fire that would allow them to fire from the hip without stopping. However, he also realized that there would be no way the Army would accept a totally new rifle design, as they were already struggling to produce enough Springfields, contracting to produce millions of M1917 "American Enfield" rifle with Remington and Winchester and were importing Ross rifles from Canada for training purposes.

This led him to the final design, which replaced the bolt of the standard Springfield with a device consisting of a complete firing mechanism and a small "barrel" for the small round. In effect, the "device" was essentially a complete blow-back pistol minus a receiver/grip using the short "barrel" of the device to fit into the longer chamber of the M1903 Springfield. The mechanism was fed by a long 40-round magazine sticking out of the rifle to the top right, and could be reloaded by inserting a new magazine. New sights were provided at the rear of the device. The system did require one modification to the rifle however, a hole had to be cut in the side of the bolt area to allow the ejection of spent rounds.

By 1917 his solution was perfected, and he traveled to Washington, DC to demonstrate it. After firing several rounds from what appeared to be an unmodified Springfield, he removed the standard bolt, inserted the device, and fired several magazines at a very high rate of fire. The evaluation team was astounded, and an immediate secret classification was applied. To deceive the enemy, the Ordnance Department decided to call it The US Automatic Pistol, Caliber .30, Model of 1918. Plans were put into place to start production of modified Springfields, which became the US Rifle, Cal. .30, Model of M1903, Mark I. Promises were made to have 500,000 ready for the 1919 Spring Offensive. The use of the Pedersen Device in the 1919 Spring offensive was to be in conjunction with the full combat introduction of the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR).

The Pedersen Device was also modified to fit the US Rifle, Model of 1917 (the American Enfield), and the US Rifle, Model of 1916 ( The Remington Mosin Nagant). Neither of those were ever put into production, although samples of both were made.

·
Registered
300 Posts
nice looking M1903 mkI rifle , congrats on a good grab ,

one of those is conspicuously missing from my collection , but then i have no hope of finding the pederson device so its not really the end of the world for me

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Nice score!!

I had a Mk 1 receivered bench rest rifle that was built by P.O. Ackley. It was a 1 1/2" barreled action chambered in .257 Ackley Mag ( a .264 Winchester Mag necked down to .25 caliber). It had a 10x Unertl shock mounted scope and a Bishop heavy bench rest stock. Back in those days the 03's and O3A3's were fertile actions for customs. If we only knew then what we know now.......................................

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... my dad's deer rifle ( now mine ) is a custom .270 built on an 03 action. Polished bolt, etc... action like buttah.

I guess when there are 8 bazillion 03s around and people want scoped deer/target rifles, you use what's available.

Now I need an original A4 (that'll be the day...)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice addition to your collection. I have a sporterized in my safe that belonged to my father in law. He took many a deer with it then passed it along to my son before his passing.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nice! That straight stock looks so "right" on a 1903!

CX

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
mk 1

hey nice rifle! how does it shoot? i have a rock island mk1 sporter i am building an a4 out of. while i was in afghanistan i read in a really out of date shotgun news of an estate sale that had among other goodies a pederson device. showed piks of it in the ad. they also had a garand clip loader in the lot also. no tellin what all they had that was really rare stuff.
andy

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dunno how it shoots yet; I just got it. Hopefully I'll be able to get out next weekend and confirm my status as a crappy rifle shot.GI1

·
Registered
398 Posts
As a practical matter I think the MkI is the safest of all the 1903's and 03A3's to shoot because the ejection port will vent gas in the event of a case head failure. It's a heck of a lot bigger than a Hatcher hole!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qpu1zUQqI[/ame]

video intro for those interested

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I recently picked up a SC 1903A3 and am restoring the stock with a oil soft scrub followed by some Toms 1/3

Here is what it looked like before I did anything, I will post up some pics when I get the stock done

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please do... and post details of your stock cleaning/restoration procedure. This one has a tung oil finish that's okay but I'd like to clean it up a bit.

·
SGT of Marines
332 Posts
I got my Mark 1 from CMP the last time they had them for sale about a year ago. Still trying to get the junk out of the barrel. Tried everything on it, Hoppe's 9, breakfree, foam bore cleaner, bore brushes, shoots well but the bore looks like it has crap in it and the patches always com out black. Must have had a lot of blanks fired through it.
Oh well!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well here is the Stock after doing a soft oil scrub with a 50/50 mix of BLO and Mineral Spirits, I plan on doing one one tomorrow and then give it (3) coats of Tom's 1/3 Mix

·
Retired
4,701 Posts
Nice video of your '03 Mk1. Your barrel was made by a gun company named High Standard. I think they were mainly a handgun manufacturer. They were to originally get a contract to produce the 03-A3 rifle during WW2, but it went to Smith-Corona (typewriter company) but all of the barrels for the S-C rifles were made by High Standard, even though they were marked S-C on the barrel. They made a lot of replacement barrels for the gov't, and they were marked H-S, with date, etc.

The Mark1 rifle I had still had the original barrel, as well as the very hard to find Mark1 cut-off and sear. The cut-off had a different milling grooves in it that was used to lock the Pedersen device in place.

I'm pretty sure that the inventor, Pedersen, is the same guy in the company Irwin-Pedersen, that had a contract to make the M1 carbine in WW2.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Old Sarge!GI5

Panther that stock looks great... I may try that. What's tom's? What are you mixing it with?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts