M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that this rifle was purchased new in 2007. It reportedly has less than 200 rounds down the pipe. My questions are:

How can I tell which, if any, parts are USGI?
Did SAI ever use USGI bolts or barrels in their Scouts?
If I want to replace a non-USGI bolt with either a USGI or an LRB bolt what do I need to do? Do I need to worry about headspacing?
What is bolt lapping?

Ultimately I would like to end up with a USGI bolt and barrel, a USGI or LRB op rod, and a Saldak piston.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I believe that there is no chance you will get a USGI bolt or barrel. I don't believe the scout ever had a GI barrel.
I am not sure of a GI source for a scout barrel or are you converting to a 22"?

Just an fyi, you are looking at buying $700 or so worth of parts to replace your scout parts. Roughly $300 for complete GI bolt, $200 for an op-rod and at least $200 for a barrel. Piston is like $45 I think.

You might want to just shoot it for a while and see if it meets your needs before you drop all of the cash.

FYI, I have an SA scout in the 2006 timeframe (if I remember) and it has some GI parts in the trigger group and that's it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that there were no GI short barrels, but if I had thought about it I guess I would have figured that one out. I wanted a GI one because I want a chrome lined barrel, but my plan is to just replace the one that's on it with a chrome lined one once I shoot the current one out. After doing a little more research I have decided that the SAI bolt should be just fine, and if I do have issues I'll send it back to Springfield for replacement. Right now I'm just going to buy the Saldak piston, and maybe a spare SAI oprod.

I'm just starting to worry about my purchase after reading so many of the negative things people say about the SAI M1A.

Due to current financial issues this is going to be my only .30 caliber battle rifle and I want it to function 100%

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Honestly, I can't say there are no GI short barrels just that I have never seen one. Others will know more.

But shoot what you have till it fails rather than replacing it straight off. Spend the money on ammo instead as the .308 gets hungry and is not cheap to feed. The Scout is the only completely straight SA I have (others are builds) but it has functioned reliably. My only mods are a (really cool) Whamo Camo stock, armorer built NM spring guide. Also, you may decide for some kind of optic (depending on your application) on the scout so remember that you might have that investment.

I (personally) don't get added value from chrome lining. I keep my rifles clean and in a dry gun safe so they just don't suffer the abuse that I believe the chrome was meant to impede. Again, just make sure of what you are trying to accomplish and that what you have won't do it.

Enjoy your new purchase!!! There's noting like the feel of the first rounds through a new toy.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
First of all, don't worry about your purchase until you have a problem. As for parts replacement, you might want to replace the op rod spring guide with a Sadlak or Badger, the mag release with a Sadlak tactical, and at least consider replacing the op rod spring with a Tubb's. I am not sure why you want a spare op rod now, but when you do replace it the best value out there is the Smith Enterprises forged one piece unit.

Do some research on this site and find TonyBen's article on proper greasing of the rifle, then get out there and put some rounds down range. I think I would invest in magazines and ammo after the op rod spring guide and mag release, IMHO.GITEN

·
Registered
36 Posts
welcome

+1 +1 +1

Congratulations on your new platform! I'm alway envious when someone new get their 1st.

I know it can be overwhelming for when you make that decision for a Springer--I certainly was and had so many, too many, questions and questioning my choice. Guess what? It was the best thing I could have done!

Here's my recommendation as a relative new-comer to this platform:

1) come up to speed on your new rifle (operation, lube, take-down, etc) there are excellent guides available here for download

2) extra magazines, at least 5 if not 10. CMI brand only from 44mag.com

3) ammo ammo ammo

4) glass--if you chose that route. something nice. something strong. I like Vortex Viper PST

5) digital camera so you can report back to us on your progress, range sessions, snap shots of anything you may need to ask about

6) get out there and have fun!

--Flatirons M1A

Bonus tips from experience:

7) don't forget appropriate tools / lube / workspace

8) storage--you'll need some type of case whether hard (I prefer Pelican) or soft (useful to range trips)

9) the forum has a wealth of knowledge and experience, so take advantage

10) if you don't like your Scout for some crazy reason, let me know and I'll be happy to take it off your hands!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. The rifle already has the Saldak mag release. I'm going to order 1k rounds from AIM and mags from 44mag next week. As far as why for a spare oprod- I like to have whatever spare parts on hand that I would need to keep the rifle running if for some reason I couldn't get it to SAI or a smith to be repaired right away. What spare parts do you guys consider necessary for an M1A/M14?

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Bolt guts x2 (extractor, firing pin, ejector and extractor spring assemblies)
Gas piston
Sights (front and rear)

That's what I keep as spare parts. Some may have a more thorough list, but I don't worry about it being down any more than it being a nuisance. I have plenty of other rifles to use if necessary until I get it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.