M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to springfield armory serial number 039902 was built by glen nelsons shop 01-07-1987 as a super match. stock is bedded. I can see the 2 in the stock channel of the 72 that is on the trigger group. can faintly see the number on the heel.Looks unfired or fired very little. metal is nice and the stock seems as if its thicker than a normal stock with a few handling marks. Im fairly new to the m1a and this group.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a April 1987 National Match Glen Nelson build. Mine is about 95% condition. The thicker stock is probably made by Boyt. They seem somewhat thick but there good to go. Glen Nelson M1a's shoot like a dream! Get yourself some good match grade 168 grain
DSC_8002.JPG
ammo and have a ball with your fine rifle. My M1a was made just under a thousand gun's later than yours's. Congratulation's sir.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you jog. I really like that dark walnut stock. I have m118LR 175 grain to try as well. Ill have to find the 168. most is 150 grain standard. This M1a is pristeen as far as the metal goes. Some rub marks from the safe I would say. I have a leather sling I can add also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to know kurtc. the stock by the butt plate is larger so the butt plate is not flush with the edge if that makes sense. I would assume it has a medium or heavy barrel to have that stock.
I did not remove the action from the stock to look for numbers on the barrel. It is only stamped NM on the top.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I believe there is a Service Rifle Competition requirement that the buttstock has to be wider than the metal.

A pre-1991 SuperMatch will have the heavy weight barrel, but not the lug at the rear of the receiver.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks' Kurt, I'm sure your correct. always apricate any info on the M1a's! I still have plenty to learn. That's why I'm on this sight! The knowledge you gentleman have on the M14 or M1a is amazing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts