M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
MY BIL just ordered a ORC Bushmaster and got a nice Deal.
Being Optic ready there is no place on the hand guard to mount a front sight.

I have a set of pop up Picatinny front and rears he can use until he decides if he is mounting a Red Dot or some other sighting device (if at all).

There is a Picatinny rail on the receiver but the sight radius would be pretty small!

My question is thee are dozens of rails that all claim to bolt on the top of a stock AR/My style hand guard using the existing holes.
Do all these run pretty standard like my Colt?
Some are pretty cheap and made of metal so if i need to drill I don't care.
I only need 2 to 5 inches to get this done.

What do you guys suggest ???

·
Registered
661 Posts
You could put a centurion or Troy they use the factory barrel nut but you still need to remove the delta ring. Or you could remove the front sling loop and put an extended rail so you would have more room for your hands and extend your sight radius with the flip ups. Troy makes the Charlie and delta hand guarded for soldiers who can't mod. There weapons, I've owned the delta and can say it works well with the delta ring but it's designed so that the front sight can sit thru the top. I guess you could put a rail cover over the gap where the front sight would normally be, just a thought.

·
Registered
939 Posts
A DD Omega would be the easiest to install since it doesn't require removal of the delta ring, and it free-floats to boot. You could run the 9" version easy, with a flip-up front iron on the end.

Plus, even though it's an older design, it's still lighter than 75% of all the other rails out there.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Omega-Rail-Mide-Length-Free-Float-p/dd 10002.htm

Only downside (if you want to call it that) is that it's not a truly round rail. It's oval-shaped. I like it better, but that's just me and my take.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks CPT but at $285.00 it is 1/2 the Price of his Gun.
He really is not into it that much yet.
At this point I am going to just bolt a Rail to the top of his M4 hand guard for $16.00!

I'll post how it turns out.

·
Registered
Quite a few of them at one time, before the boating accident.
108 Posts
A DD Omega would be the easiest to install since it doesn't require removal of the delta ring, and it free-floats to boot. You could run the 9" version easy, with a flip-up front iron on the end.

Plus, even though it's an older design, it's still lighter than 75% of all the other rails out there.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Omega-Rail-Mide-Length-Free-Float-p/dd 10002.htm

Only downside (if you want to call it that) is that it's not a truly round rail. It's oval-shaped. I like it better, but that's just me and my take.
Excellent suggestion right there. ^^^^^^^^

Reactions: ArmyCPT

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could see if it was a Colt but it is a Bushmaster GI3

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picatinny rail $7.95
3 washers and 2 cap screws from Home Depot 0.98
Cheap but not really bad Pop up front and rear sight set from Ebay $17.00

$25.93 All done!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Picatinny rail $7.95
3 washers and 2 cap screws from Home Depot 0.98
Cheap but not really bad Pop up front and rear sight set from Ebay $17.00

$25.93 All done!

Let us now how hard it is to keep it zeroed as standard handguards move, and sights moving=bad. If your fix doesn't work try the above mentioned idea to get the Daniel Defense one that freefloats w/o removing the delta ring. A free float wont move and is fine for adding on irons or you can change the gas bock to a railed one, or with a built in front sight, some even flip up

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We finally got to the Range yesterday.
It seems the "problem" is the rail on the hand guard is slightly higher than the Rail on the receiver.
I had to bottom out the Front sight as there is no elevation adjustment on the Rear. $17.00 sights are like that.

This being said his last 13 Rounds were in the Black Bull. Since he will not be Shooting over 200 Yds and will be going to a Red Dot soon these folders will just be a back up.

If he was a serious shooter of course we would have bought better sights and done things differently.
I just wanted to get him going until we decide what Red Dot to get him.

Right now His $449.00 Bushmaster is GTG.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Can he trade that one back to LGS for one like in the photo with standard "F" front sight base-gas block? Shooters who purchase carbines nearly always wish they had done that at the start. Lo pro gas block is what you want on a spacegun or varmint long barrel. On carbine you want metallic sights you can shoot with out of the box and/or co-witness if you add an optic. Good luck.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That's interesting, and thanks for the idea, but I would be afraid of the plastic personally.
My rec'd is on the previous page. The OP's looking for a very cost-effective solution...essentially, do it as best as possible, as cheap as possible. If it didn't say "Safariland" on the product, I wouldn't have posted anything.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am behind Enemy lines right now (up north).
I will get photos of the AR when I get back.
I believe photos will show the whole deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My rec'd is on the previous page. The OP's looking for a very cost-effective solution...essentially, do it as best as possible, as cheap as possible. If it didn't say "Safariland" on the product, I wouldn't have posted anything.
And you're right ... it definitely looks like a cost effective, temporary, solution for someone who might not have the means to do it the right way.

I guess I'm just hard-headed about molded plastics EXCEPT when it comes to PMags. In that regard I'm being hypocritical.

Would like see some reviews of that little gadget. See how it's holding-up to abuse. It's very interesting and I've got a couple of Bushies sitting around that I might try one on - wonder if they would send me one to put through the paces.

Reactions: ArmyCPT

·
Registered
839 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts