M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I visited a smaller gun show yesterday with another forum member that was visiting the area and we poked around a bit, had lunch, then I took him to a local gun shop (LGS) then back to the show.

Here is the day's booty. (NO, not that kind...that came later when I got home and lied about how much I spent)

pic 1...I found an old combo knife that I used to carry as a boy scout for $25. I shot of CorrosionX and a little light cleaning should make it look new. I also found a thing made by a local guy called a LUCKY's LOADER ($25) that loads any kind of high cap pistol mag by moving the top piece around to fit the mag. It was pretty fast the way he demonstarted it. Faster than any of the others I have seen. Here is a link to his website.

http://luckysloader.com/

pic 2...I found a DEMOONER for $14. I already have one and they work really good for popping the brass out of a full moon clip. I got an extra because one is none, and two is one.

pic 3...Two belly band holsters. One for $25 and the second for $20. I got the first one early one and as I was trying it on it made my back IMMEDIATELY feel better. I bought it and never took it off all day. Later when I came back I got a second one for the same reason as stated above. It was an older guy and his lady selling them and they were happy I came back for another one but they did not have my size so they sold me the one on display a bit cheaper.

pic 4...Five (5) ar plastic spoon mag loaders for $2 ea and an FAL spoon for $5, plus two rolls of 3/32 TACTICAL (because it is black) cord. I forgot how much the cord was.

pic 5...It Happened To ME articals from Outdoor Life. I really enjoyed reading about these real life encounters and was happy to get this book for $8.

NO PIC...but I also got a box of Federal JHP 9mm 115 grain loads for the new pistol I got in the next post.

AS AN ASIDE: NONE of the items I was looking for originally were I able to find.

IMR 8208 XBR powder 1 - 3 pounds
CCI 450 Primers 1000 minimum
an AR barrel nut wrench
an aluminum AR vice clamp
100 round BERRY Blue-in-color 223 boxes 5ea

yet STILL I managed to blow a hole in the budget. I need help. Mental, not financial.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Local Gun Shop (LGS) visit

We also went to a LGS and I showed him around.

It is funny when at the gun show most of the prices from dealers are at least 10 to 20% OVER RETAIL. I noticed this trend right after Clinton got elected. It has never stopped and only gotten worse.

As an example....

At the gun show I saw a Star BM that a guy wanted $459 for. I have had two of these in the past and told him they used to sell for only $150 each. He said, yeah, but at one time you could also buy a new car off the dealer's showroom for $3,000 also. I said, YUP that is true, but I am talking only about three years ago you are talking about over 50 years ago. No new friend made there.

OK, we get to the local gun shop and are poking around and guess what I see. A Star BM in the display case for $299 !!! I really enjoyed them and went ahead and bought it.

I also found a bubba'ed 8x16 loading block for $1.

We drive back to the gun show and I just could not resist taking the pink sales tag and waving it in that guy's face as other people were watching.

NO, a nice guy would not have done it, but I am getting more sick and tired of this kind of behavior at gun shows from dealers that I could not help myself. He needed a reality check and I was none too happy to show him.

AS AN ASIDE: That Star BM is a very well made gun and is all steel. The other member that was with me did not seem to have any respect for them, but during Aparthied in South Africa, only Israel and Spain were supplying SA with guns, and this little BM is a very nice CCW piece. It recovers from recoil very fast and I have had ZERO issues with the two I had owned previously. That is why I got this one. It is in cherry condition.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS...I did not mention the other M14 Forum member's name because I did not yet ask his permission to use it in the above threads.

Just being courteous and considerate.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
We also went to a LGS and I showed him around.

It is funny when at the gun show most of the prices from dealers are at least 10 to 20% OVER RETAIL. I noticed this trend right after Clinton got elected. It has never stopped and only gotten worse.

As an example....

At the gun show I saw a Star BM that a guy wanted $459 for. I have had two of these in the past and told him they used to sell for only $150 each. He said, yeah, but at one time you could also buy a new car off the dealer's showroom for $3,000 also. I said, YUP that is true, but I am talking only about three years ago you are talking about over 50 years ago. No new friend made there.

OK, we get to the local gun shop and are poking around and guess what I see. A Star BM in the display case for $299 !!! I really enjoyed them and went ahead and bought it.

I also found a bubba'ed 8x16 loading block for $1.

We drive back to the gun show and I just could not resist taking the pink sales tag and waving it in that guy's face as other people were watching.

NO, a nice guy would not have done it, but I am getting more sick and tired of this kind of behavior at gun shows from dealers that I could not help myself. He needed a reality check and I was none too happy to show him.

AS AN ASIDE: That Star BM is a very well made gun and is all steel. The other member that was with me did not seem to have any respect for them, but during Aparthied in South Africa, only Israel and Spain were supplying SA with guns, and this little BM is a very nice CCW piece. It recovers from recoil very fast and I have had ZERO issues with the two I had owned previously. That is why I got this one. It is in cherry condition.
Good find RNS! That is one of the pistols that I wish that I kept when I had the collection sell off during the divorce! They are very well made, handle just like a 1911, very compact and because of the weight, the recoil is light and they shoot quite well. I think that I will keep my eyes open for another one.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good find RNS! That is one of the pistols that I wish that I kept when I had the collection sell off during the divorce! They are very well made, handle just like a 1911, very compact and because of the weight, the recoil is light and they shoot quite well. I think that I will keep my eyes open for another one.
Glashaus...there seems to be another "surge" of them going to our shores. Maybe if you look around you might match or beat my price, but someone asking $459 is just damned stupid.

During a bowling pin match in NE my son used his to wipe out the competition. The quick recovery made all the difference. It is one fast little shootin' iron.

It is what I would call a SLEEPER GUN, like a sleeper movie. Really good quality but no one knows or has heard much about it.

TECHNICAL IMPORTANT NOTE: The serial number is actually along the left side grip going up the frame. NOT the two matching numbers on the slide and the frame. It is a bit confusing but that is just the way it is. See pic.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I went to a small show yesterday with my uncle looking for an older Redfield/Weaver for me and a Blackhawk 357 in Stainless for him. Like you, lots of prices about 10-20% above retail. Mostly new retail firearms, a few used retail firearms. Only a couple Blackhawks in Stainless and all were priced above 600.

One gentleman had a couple of Redfield 2-7x but wanted north of 2 bills for them.

The last table had a side stamped poly. I looked it over…TRW bolt and barrel. I am not in the market for a poly, just wasting time and the guy flops a basket of parts on the table that came with the poly…tells me 1,300 for the gun and parts. I tell him I have no interest in the rifle other than burning time but will flip through the parts. 2 chinese barrels, 1 SAK 69 barrel (did not bring gauges), various chinese parts, 1 HRN trigger assembly, 1 WRE RS, 1 LRB bolt and guts unused.

I ask what he wants for the trigger, RS and bolt. 150 he says. I pay him and leave.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AWESOME....sometimes the price is so good there is not reason to even haggle....and THAT is the reason I put up with the foolishness, gougers, Rambos, political tables and go to the gun shows anyway.

That Outdoor Life "It Happened To Me" book, and my old boy scout knife was worth the price of admission IMHO.

I did notice something else, here lately at this one gun show. There seemed to be one hell of a lot of KNIVES at this show than guns. Custom made, bayonets, fantasy, and late-night TV el cheapos.

The guy with me found a really good new Gerber for only $25 from a private seller. Those guys, the private sellers, seem to be the ONLY ONES that have any down-to-earth, anywhere reasonable, prices. Just exactly like what you experienced.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I should go to the gun shows more often but it seems that the shows here rotate between Houston, Pasadena, Conroe with the same vendors with the same stuff and overpriced firearms. I did just win a Gunbroker auction on another Mossberg 500 with a rifle front sight and a ghost ring rear that I was the one and only bidder on, Mossberg 500's and 590's to me are like M14's to other's on this site, I can never have too many of them and I have enough spare parts, stocks, etc to make them interesting, and they are cheap.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A good summary of Gun Shows at the present time.

I should go to the gun shows more often but it seems that the shows here rotate between Houston, Pasadena, Conroe with the same vendors with the same stuff and overpriced firearms. I did just win a Gunbroker auction on another Mossberg 500 with a rifle front sight and a ghost ring rear that I was the one and only bidder on, Mossberg 500's and 590's to me are like M14's to other's on this site, I can never have too many of them and I have enough spare parts, stocks, etc to make them interesting, and they are cheap.
Glashaus...I noticed that too about the gun shows when I was living in Deer Park/Pasadena. The same old usual suspects. That was when the thrill was gone, when I was there at the Pasadena gun show after Clinton got elected.

After Clinton got elected, I noticed a totally different "mood" at the shows that was not there before and I have not seen or felt since.

The usual, "hey, whatcha got" friendly atmosphere was gone and replaced with gold chain, eight ring wearing Guidos with their pawn shop owner attitudes and gouged prices.

This is exactly how I see ALL gun show dealers now, along with their 10 to 20% over retail markup. BACKPAGE is also just an on-line gun show from what I have seen.

BUT...I will keep going and seek out this little guy with the table that has some of his items in his collection he does not want any more. Guys like us that want to let go of some stuff so they can get some more stuff.

They are the ones that usually have the Lyman Nutcracker tools, the old powder measures, the Lee handloaders, and maybe, just maybe that prestine, like-new S&W K-38 with six inch barrel and target sights for $300, or the Colt Woodsman with 2 mags for $250 because he feels he is making a $50 profit over what he paid for it. I will be there with the cash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts