M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recently picked up a Ruger LCR .38 Special as for CCW. You didn't specify if this was for concealed carry, home defense, or what exactly but that said, so far I am pretty happy with the LCR. There are tons of videos and reviews on the LCR out there that could do a much better job explaining the pros and cons of the firearm better than I can but I'd recommend giving it a look as one option.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,075 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Until a number of factors have been addressed, as others have mentioned, best bet is vigilant awareness, a cell phone and a 12 ga.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How much shooting do you do? There is a big difference between what I carry and my blanket recommendation for people, but here is a fairly plain jane breakdown for an absolute novice.

In the house/night table
: 12ga pump (Rem 870 is fairly common and can be had reasonably), S&W K Frame 4" bbl .38/.357 (M-10,13,19,64,65,66). A 12ga and a K frame loaded with .38 Special, most people will be able to handle either.

Concealed Carry
: Carry the biggest (closest to full size, not a Desert Eagle) you can conceal comfortably. My thing is normal size guns are easier to shoot well, and easier to hit with. The same handguns as above, if you have to have something smaller try for a shorter barrel, or go to a Colt Detective Special or one of the S&W J frames. Whatever you are going to carry , practice practice practice.

In the end, it really depends on your skill level and what firearms you are comfortable with. I love the 1911 and think it is the greatest pistol ever designed, but I would not recommend it as a carry piece to a first time shooter.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
What would you recommend as a personal deffence weapon?
Something you can be fast and effective with. People say "oh well 9mm doesent have enough knockdown power". i can tell you it depends on shot placement. In the world of self defence, you hit- you win. you hit him in the arm? well guess what... follow up. If you cant hit anything with that .45, that 230gr JHP isent going to do you any good if you cant put it on target quick and effectively.

I carry both 9mm and .45. I am effective with both. I carry-

Sig 229
Springfield 1911
Glock 19

I practice with all three and change up as needed. Follow up is a bit faster with my 9mm's but still quick with my 1911. The one downside to my 1911 is that I am restricted to hardball for reliable feeding. I am sure it will do the job, but over penetration becomes an issue.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Something you can be fast and effective with. People say "oh well 9mm doesent have enough knockdown power". i can tell you it depends on shot placement. In the world of self defence, you hit- you win. you hit him in the arm? well guess what... follow up. If you cant hit anything with that .45, that 230gr JHP isent going to do you any good if you cant put it on target quick and effectively.

I carry both 9mm and .45. I am effective with both. I carry-

Sig 229
Springfield 1911
Glock 19

I practice with all three and change up as needed. Follow up is a bit faster with my 9mm's but still quick with my 1911. The one downside to my 1911 is that I am restricted to hardball for reliable feeding. I am sure it will do the job, but over penetration becomes an issue.

my 2 cents.
Correctamundo.

All handgun cartridges are weak. Find something 9mm and larger that you can shoot well with, and practice, practice, practice.

Want to talk about stopping power? Let's talk rifles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
All we can do is suggest- but for personal defense it always comes down to personal preference.

I have a S&W M&P 9mm with a big old light on it an 18 rounds in it next to me when I sleep.

I carry either a S&W .380 Bodyguard (supper tinny) or a Walther PPS 9MM depending on how I am dressed.

I practice with these weapons all the time and ensure they are always in working order.

3 things I will say is a must:
.Always carry Defensive Ammo (hollow points..ect...- no ball ammo)
.Find a range that lets you rent guns.. will be cheaper in the long run to find the one you like.
.Take a CCW class if your state allows CCWs.

Be safe and good luck- read a lot- use the web.. but it comes down to how it feels in your hand and how you intend to use it to defend yourself and family.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
In the home, concealed carry?
Your level of experience?

edit: nevermind. I just read your post history and am wondering if these are all subtle troll threads.
What? You've Never Designed Your Own M14 Receiver ???

yeah, i saw that too...

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
whatever you decide you need a tactical light 120+lumens i recommend.

Some have said that a pistol is for when your not expecting trouble , if you KNOW there is trouble you need a rifle (tactical carbine like an a r15/ak47) or a shotgun.

Shotguns require a certain level or proffiency for women to use or smaller men with no gun experience, But there highly recommended.

I'd go for an ar15/ak47 , a semiautomatic shotgun (pump in a pinch), or a normal capacity handgun 18-33rds (glock 17 with a 18rounds or 33rd is tons of firepower)

Best option for children in the house is a handgun with a normal capacity (anti-gunners call it high capacity i call it normal capacity) AND a gun vault biometric safe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What would you recommend as a personal deffence weapon? For my home and for road travel.
A Colt Monitor BAR and a Ma Deuce for home, and maybe a Solothurn 20mm for road travel. Can't be too careful, y'know....ahaha

Just kidding. If you're fairly new to handgunning, you may be best off with a revolver. I suggest .357 magnum or bigger in a double action. My latest carry piece is a Ruger Speed Six from the mid '80s. Ruger currently makes several good double action revolvers and I like their designs.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
12 gauge pump action shot gun and a 4" double action .357 revolver!

Both are bullet proof!

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid!

IMHO you can't go wrong with either of these choices!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.