M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this might be a "loaded" question that will be difficult to answer... maybe not... so here goes:

At what point would I reasonably need to look for possible issues that effect accuracy in a set up using quality ammo?

I ask because my brother and I have basically matching rifles and we both shoot equally. The rifles are Norinco Receivers with Mil parts (Win barrels, TRW bolts, USGI gas parts, etc).

They function 100%, and for sake of argument, they were assy by a well known place. We put them in SAGE stocks with Leupold MK IV 4.5-14x50 scopes with TPS rings. The base is a YHM spacer that bridges the gap between the receiver and the front of the SAGE stock... it's solid as solid can be.

I have the USGI FS while he insists on using a vortex FS.

Using facory Fed GMM and Hornady 168 A-Max, along with handloads of various flavors, mine shoots an honest @ 1.50" at 100 yards, with occasional groups at 1" and his just won't seem to get better than about 2" to 2.5"... at times, it gets close to 2.75"... not REALLY BAD but just not what mine will do.

We have taken everything apart, checked, double checked, etc... it is what it is.

I'm not too sure that it a BAD thing, perhaps mine is on the "better side of what can be expected" but at what point would you consider "might be something else going on"?

Justv throwing this out there... thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
if YOU or HE shoots BOTH rifles on the same rests, etc., do the groups stay the same size for each rifle using the same ammo? What I'm getting at here is trying to eliminate one shooter as the variable before getting to other "what if's"....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
For yours with the GI FS, it might be possible to get a little more accuracy, but it would probably be costly. I'd just enjoy the rifle as-is.
Learn to shoot it with a sling and from various field positions.

Similar for the one with the Vortex FS, except 'maybe' remove the FS and test it again.
At least that will show whether the FS is making a difference.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if YOU or HE shoots BOTH rifles on the same rests, etc., do the groups stay the same size for each rifle using the same ammo? What I'm getting at here is trying to eliminate one shooter as the variable before getting to other "what if's"....
Yes, we have switched to make sure he did not suck...GI1

We have removed the Vortex and tried w/o any FS to eliminate that issue. One thing we have not done too much of and that's mess with the barrel tension screw. Perhaps some extensive testing is in order.

Today I went and shot mine some more, I got a perfect 1" 5-shot group using Fed GMM and several 1.1" to 1.3" groups using handloads of Sierra 168gr HPBT and 43.0grs IMR-4895. My barrel tension screw DOES NOT touch the barrel.

I'm just thinking I'm lucky with my set up and his, while not overly bad, simply is what it is.

I did not get a chance to take his with me today, wished I had. Weather was great and it would have been nice to verify pervious data. Thanks for the replies... I'll keep tinkering with it...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For yours with the GI FS, it might be possible to get a little more accuracy, but it would probably be costly. I'd just enjoy the rifle as-is.
Learn to shoot it with a sling and from various field positions.

Similar for the one with the Vortex FS, except 'maybe' remove the FS and test it again.
At least that will show whether the FS is making a difference.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
I'm TOTALLY pleased with mine, it's the other one I'm wanting to improve upon...

·
Premium Member
20,850 Posts
For a standard barrel , you are lucking out. I had to go with a Kreiger heavy to get 1" goups.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a standard barrel , you are lucking out. I had to go with a Kreiger heavy to get 1" goups.
I kind of figured that I was fortunate having my rifle shoot below 1.5". I've read that getting the M1A to 1.5" is a good goal (I mean w/o doing expensive alterations, etc)... I'm sure others do better and worse, but I've read that the 1.5" range is considered quite good and I agree.

Before I switched to the SAGE stock, I fired some groups that were well under 1" (.700") but they were VERY HOT and I was well-advised to stop before I damaged my rifle. They were 150gr Nosler BT's with 49.90grs W-748 chronied at an average of 2947 FPS. Even with a gas plug, I've been told it's still hard on the bolt, etc. So all in all, I think I'm blessed with my barrel.

Some pics of the groups...

·
Premium Member
20,850 Posts
Took me 45 years to get 1" groups. Finally did it this Spring. Photo has first rnd low and to the right. Second is a 10 rnd group, just about an inch in the green. Correction on the scope down 2 and left 2 put them right where I wanted them another 10 rnd group in the pink just about an inch. That target is hanging in my office so I can show everyone that an M14 can shoot 10 round groups. My spotter is still dancing a jig and telling everyone he runs into, just like me.
Semper Fi
Art

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.