M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
The weather was perfect for shooting, 65 and zero wind..

In this area, Honrday 168's are $10 less pre 100, so, I have been testing them agains 168 SMK's at 100 to determine if I'm gettiing a good deal..

Fired two 20rd. groups at 100 through the M1A, which has a frest K barrel, the ammpunition was the same except for the bullet and the cases one more times reloaded..

The results:
168 Hornaday----- 1.700"
168 SMK----------- 1.810"

39.5 3031 w/ fed 210 m primers, which have proveen, in this M1A, to group better than cci 34's.

Would like to hear other folks results... Art

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
When you do accuracy testing, do you support the rifle on bags at both ends, or is there a fixture you use to secure the rifle.... or are you doing this accuracy testing off hand?

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Off hand, I wish.

When you do accuracy testing, do you support the rifle on bags at both ends, or is there a fixture you use to secure the rifle.... or are you doing this accuracy testing off hand?

Most of the time use support at the front end, just ahead of the mag.. When testing ammo, like today, at both ends to support the findings a little purer..

I followed your approch uising the fed 210M over the cci 34's recently, shooting a box or so of bullets, the results are un-questionable at this time and this rifle, which is good one.

The odd thing is, using an old M84 scope now and than, there is little in favor of the scope. Twenty shots with iron sights is hard on my eyes nowdays, so I take breaks after each five rds..... Twenty under two with Irons is about all I can muster, called for a large DQ...Art

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wonder how the Nosler Custom Competition 168s compare to those?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
If you take your group size for 20 and divide the size 1.810 by 20 you get .0905" as an average between the shot placements. You would have to do 20 consecutive shots to do it, but would be interesting to know at what point in the string of 20 the spread become larger. Would the spread show up initially, first 1/3rd of the string, 2/3rds., last few shots?? For 20 shots the group is a good one and not sure such an experiment would prove anything but if it showed that the spread increased at say the last 1/3rd. for example each time you did such a group it would tell you that the first shots had better be tight for the last ones you know will spread out on you. Realize there are numerous reasons for such behavior but just brain storming.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting

During the 20 shots fired there were no single shot flyers, or unaccountable impacts. There were however, three let-offs with less tha a clear post, when this happens I circle the impact in a plot book. It was these three shots that prvented a better group. Using single direct chamber loading, with mag drop, keeps things at a reasonable pace.

I agree, 20 shots is accessive and not neessary, but it is always fun to try something different.. In this case I may have been testing myself rather than the rifle and load. Ten shots is the norm, or was the norm, for testing years ago..

As a side reloading note, there is a .010" difference between the Hornaday and Sierra MK 168 bullets in the COAL measurement in this barrel. The Hornaday 110 V Max bullets did not group as well as expected, the 5 shot group was over twiced as large as those fired in the M40A1.

Art

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.