M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,400 Posts
I would rely in this Lt Gen, with balls, and retire the other's with a boot in the pants for not doing their job to the best of their ability. There may even be room in the pasture that the commander in chief should be awarded for his lack of service. I don't think an unlawful command that puts folks in danger, no matter how high the source, should be allowed to pass muster by persons we have trained to do better for so many years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
He's clearly resigning and going out with a bang. Any Marine knows how to properly utilize the chain of command, which he clearly isn't doing-nor is a public rebuke of the upper echelon ever considered appropriate by any rank.

It's hard to say why he'd do this other than a desire to bring attention to himself. In my mind, its not the right move. My advice to him would be to grieve for the lost Marines. Take care of your own where you're most effective, as an active Lt Col. Leaving the Marine Corps poorly and in disgrace will not help anyone.

What I do know, the non "mustang" officers were never impressive. I guess still not.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
"I was only following orders" is not an excuse. People in the higher echelons need to voice their opinions that there are problems that need to addressed. Saying yes to everything Hitler said got the German Army wiped out. There is a hollow figure standing at the podium repeating what the voices behind the curtain are telling him to say. We will lose more people with what is happening now. They can't relieve every general in the Pentagon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although his points were valid, he should have given that speech to the full length mirror, shut his mouth (to the public) and gone back to work. He shouldn't have lost sight of the fact that he is a team member. Now he is a pariah, and has lost his sway, respect, and ability to change things when given the opportunity. I am sure he is a damn fine Marine, but he let his frustration get the best of him.

Badge Crest Emblem Symbol Circle

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Although his points were valid, he should have given that speech to the full length mirror, shut his mouth (to the public) and gone back to work. He shouldn't have lost sight of the fact that he is a team member. Now he is a pariah, and has lost his sway, respect, and ability to change things when given the opportunity. I am sure he is a damn fine Marine, but he let his frustration get the best of him.

View attachment 457299
Would you say the same about someone in the upper level of the Biden administration if they were to speak out about Biden's incompetence? What about a whistleblower who tells all about corruption in our government? When do you throw out the mirror and speak up? When do you cease being a member of a team that has incompetent people at the top? How does any of this change when all the speeches are given to a mirror? There are times when speaking out is the only option. We need more who will speak out irrespective of being a member of the team. He is going to pay a tremendous price for speaking out, but I would be the last person to tell him to shut up and sit down, because then nothing will ever change..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Again the issues brought up are obviously real and weighing heavily on all, active and veteran. If he is a real leader concerned for his Marines he'd do better to stay and do the hard work of ensuring they're taken care of. I'd rather not have an exodus of competent leadership because the high brass is politically or otherwise compromised. But instead a facebook post and effective resignation is what he's doing. It wouldn't sit right with me if I were under his command, nor is it doing the unit cohesion or morale of his Marines any good. This is basic conceptual stuff understood by any young NCO team leader. Who by the way doesn't get to just give up and go home.

·
Forum Jester
7,931 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Great ethos, but everyone cannot forever remain silent because nothing will ever change.
I did not serve in combat in my short time in the Corps.. I did serve thirty years in the fire service , living with life and death every day, during that time.. Some times in your career you have to take a stand. We make decisions on the spur of the moment and those decisions have consciences..... I have no regrets . I did what I needed to do to save my men and would do it again...
Sometimes you need to take a stand even though you my not be in the best light....

Carry On !!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am a civilian, but why would he not simply resign, then speak his piece?
Sir: Have you ever heard of swept under the rug!!!! When you are not in the command position your view and point are under the rug forgotten and lost.. What about our men that were tested on during WW1 with Mustard gas effects, or the effects of common sexual diseases on our black members during WW2.. Or our members of the military that witness the atom bomb test in the 40's. I'm sorry but no disrespect intended but what political rock did you crawl out from.. Our politicians don't give a rats ass to you or the men that they send to defend our nation.. We are a number and thats all. Some chose to stand up and at great risk to themselves, god bless them.. I need to shut up or i'll be sent to Banned Camp, but we need to wake up to what is happening to our nation... We need to look outside the box.. A simple question, how many sides to a box... You would not believe the number of rookies that say a box has four sides.. What a shame...

Carry On !!

Carry On !!

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
No.
I simply asked why the resignation didn’t come first.

Now I realize there are obligations that might prevent that, but for you to suggest that every civilian and every officer is politically corrupt is absurd.

Tom Cotton and Daniel Crenshaw come to mind among others.
A simple question, how many sides to a box... You would not believe the number of rookies that say a box has four sides.. What a shame...
How many sides to a box?
That depends doesn’t it.
Opened or closed……

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If he is a real leader
In my book he has shown himself to have a higher quality of leadership than those who removed him. Displayed the qualities we should expect from those in leadership roles. Imagine he has held those under him to that same standard and caliber of leadership.

Brass creep should have been put in check years ago. The military has issues at the highest level on down. At least a few will at least be willing to admit it and ask where is the personal responsibility and extreme ownership. Especially when it come to the lives of Americans. Why aren't you asking for accountability? Do you honestly believe "it's above your pay grade"?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts