M14 Forum banner

Parts To Replace to USGI on Springfield Armory M1A

11K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  gas_gunner 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, first post, really like this forum

any how, I would like advice on the basic things that should be replaced on this gun. I would like to unitize my gas system. I was thinking of buying a refurbished USGI gas cylinder, taking the parts i need off the Springfield one to the USGI and have it unitized to a USGI front band. Also going to install a sadlak gas piston and sadlak recoil spring guide. Its a 2008 manufacture, with a USGI recoil spring guide and trigger group. I believe the trigger group is USGI since the trigger group has the winchester number mark on the housing, an HRA safety, and OM-N marked hammer. I don't know if there are any ways to make sure its completely USGI. Anyway, suggestions I will gladly take and if I missed the thread telling me which parts I should replace, call me an idiot and point in the right direction. Thanks!

#19 ·
I agree there, maybe not even changing the extractor out either. Make sure the extractor leg doesn't protrude out from the bottom of the bolt. If it does, shorten it till it doesn't. If you have problems with the extractor, then do change it. You paid for the other parts, you might as well get some use out of them, then change them if and only if they become a problem. You might not have any problems. I'd say, go beat the _______ (fill in favorite explicitive here) out of it, enjoying it, seeing if you can make the SA Inc. Parts wear out, then replace them if they do.

Danny

#5 ·
That's really good advice, you'll be money ahead if you listen. Well, maybe not money ahead if you count more ammo! GI2

#7 ·
Since I am also on my first M1A I went through a similar thought process but decided to get my weapon zeroed both with iron sights and a scope first. I feel that this will give me a baseline to see what results any enhancements have on the rifle. I plan on pushing through a couple hundred rounds before doing anything. Just my $.02.

#8 ·
This along with previous post are very good advice, it would be kinda bad to do all the mods to it , only to find that it shot better before you touched it.

If you are using Sadlack piston and G.I. GC, and getting a USGI barrel band, then the only SAI part you move over would be the gas lock, the spindle valve w/spring and pin, and the gas plug. you can most times find an entire gas system ready to go in the PX if you watch it, then you won't have to move spindle valve or other parts, just think about it, you got almost another rifle going, all you need is to pick up an SAI take off barrel from someone that went heavy, with some assurances of accuracy for their barrel, then bolt ,TG, and op rod,.....receivers are around. Ta Da !!....second rifle when put with your gas cylinder swap job.

Answer to your question, I would change out the extractor, extractor spring and bearing, ejector and spring....make certain you are buying G.I. to replace them with !!! Buy a spare set when you do, you need a spare...around here, those are known as rifle seeds.

#9 ·
Buy a USGI extractor, you will need sooner or latter from what I hear. Other than that I would run the rifle stock until something happened and then send it back to SA Inc for repair.

Now if you are after a "Walter Mitty" rifle I would send it off to one of the respected M14 smiths on this site to have the bolt, bolt internals,gas cylin.,op rod, and trigger group replaced with the newest old stock USGI parts you can find an afford. I would also change the springs, spring guide, and piston with aftermarket parts from Sadlak, and either Tubb or Wolffe springs. But that is just my opinion.

#10 ·
thanks for all the good advice, I was going to buy the extractor/ejector and necessary springs but figured while I was at it, might as well order other USGI parts I want. Is it recommended to use the SAI GC for the unitize or USGI? My rifle has shot about 60 rounds or so(308 is very expensive especially in CA) and it functions perfectly.

#18 ·
Agreed!! Don't start to change anything unless You have Problems from the Git Go, I am a firm Believer in:" Don't Fix It unless it needs Fixing"!!!!!

#12 ·
Shoot it first then replace parts etc later on. It gets expensive to start replacing things too soon. Better to wait until you know what you want. Changing the way your rifle interacts with it's parts in total could be a good thing or a very bad thing. Changing out the bolt guts for usgi is the only thing you really need to do at this time.

#14 ·
You might want to do some research into ammo. There are lots of threads here with recommendations for places to shop and types of mil surplus ammo that, if chosen properly, is excellent and relatively cheap to shoot. Over the counter stuff in this state will keep you in the poor house forever. Research, research, research.

#15 ·
For surplus ammo in So CA try Ammo Bros in Cerritos. They usually have some surplus and American Eagle 308. Also keep your eyes out for the Costa Mesa and/or Ontario gun shows. I got some South African there and it shoots fine. Ammo Bros has ATI ammo and it's very accurate.

#17 ·
Replace everything that breaks......after it breaks. You've got to have parts anyway. If the rifle runs stock for about 400 rounds it's good, keep the spares for spares. Do accuracy mods if you need them but take it easy on replacing parts just to make yourself feel better. My experience with machines is if they're gonna run or not you'll find out pretty quick, give the rifle a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.