M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a chrome parade rifle from a Calguns member yesterday and finally uploaded the pictures from stripping it down to clean. The rifle is a Winchester with a Remington 11-18 barrel. Most of the small parts are marked E with a few W parts. I think only the barrel/sights and trigger guard are Remington.

He bought it last year when Sarco was selling them for 250. I have the pictures he took when he got it before he stripped the pant. It still has some flecks of white paint, but I'll get those out someday.

I had considered finishing the job and having the chrome stripped and reblued. But the collector value is gone. Considering it's part of it's history now I'd feel like a bubba removing the chrome.

A have a few questions. I ordered a new safety from Numrich since I don't like the idea of a broken safety, but does anyone know where to source a chrome one? I don't mind so much the trigger guard not being chrome, but the safety would really break it up. I also emailed Sarco to see if they had any left from selling them last year.

The barrel has a proof mark. Does that mean it's original to the receiver? Or just taken from another rifle and installed?

Also, were the parts ever painted? My buttplate has paint that is severely chipped and pitted. The rear sling swivel is also painted. I'm tempted to take it off but I don't want to mess with it if it's original.

I've cleaned the majority of the brown mud/oil like gunk off the parts but I still have some light rust under it. I was hoping to keep it under control by having it well oiled but if someone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Its all in spots I can't or can just barely fit my finger in.

Anyways, pictures of the complete reassembled rifle are at the bottom. Enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/JBaUv

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,613 Posts
What a project rifle you came away with phungn. The work you have put into it's far is great. Next to see how it will do on the rifle range. Good luck, great looking 100 year old rifle now.

DI5

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a pretty cool rifle. I vote leave it as is and shoot the mess out of it. I always thought parade rifles were non-firing
Thanks! My understanding was that drill rifles were deactivated but parade rifles continued service firing blanks. I saw it posted for 265 and figured he would take 250, at which point made it irresistible.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Typical barrel for most M1917's. I have 4 and 2 of them look like that. Two of them look like any other rifle I own. I've been told it was a combination of corrosive ammo and improper/no cleaning.

They still shoot good once you get them cleaned up, they're just a little harder to clean after shooting since stuff gets into the pits/gouges when you shoot it.

I've really only seen one blued M1917 and have no idea if it was original or a reblue.

If it was mine and I had the money, I'd have it stripped and parkerized. Your stock looks really good and fresh park job would make it look like a "brand new" rifle.

Shoot it and come on back with picks of the target. Oh, my last one shoots about 5 inches high at 25 yds. using the battle sights.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Is that the stock it came with cleaned up? If so great job!! I to would have the rifle stripped and reparked. GI2

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow nice work. I think it looks great with the wood redone and the chrome. Wouldn't have thought so but there it is. It has a story now. Cool rifle, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you planning to shoot that? How does the chrome plating process affect the underlying steel?
Yes I plan to shoot it. It seems there are a few people on the CMP forums who use it for matches. It seems the only concern brought up was for removing the chrome but even then, I think the consensus was that it's safe as long as it's done properly. Seems like there are a few people with reblued/parkerized parade rifles on CMP.

I think I'll keep mine chrome. Messing with it too much defeats the point of getting such a cheap 1917. The money I'd put in refinishing it would be the same as buying an unmolested one with some hunting.

I saw someone get a mint one on GB for 400. Made me pretty jealous.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That looks sharp, I wonder if the barrel will turn shades of blue, orange and purple as it gets fired and hot, similar to an exhaust pipe? It would be pretty cool if it did, hell it's cool either way!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd scrub the heck out of that bore and shoot it for sure. Then use the old hi pressure, hi speed copper lapping technique. I think it looks very cool like that. I have a mutt Rem/Winnie but it looks and shoots real nice. Most folks at the range don't have a clue what it is. Thanks for the pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.