M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarrassing but I want to let anybody who may consider the same deal in the future , think about what they are doing.
I was wanting a G17. The only pistol I was willing to part with was my G30. Had it 11 years , 10k rounds , Replaced recoil spring , take down spring , bla, bla. The opportunity came about to get a Para GI Expert , less than 1k , less than a year old , bla , bla .Always wanted a 1911. The trade took place last night. Shot it this afternoon about 13:00. Traded a dealer , it and $100 for a used G17 an hour later. The G17 still had the gold looking lube under the slide from the factory. Always thought Para was a good manufacturer (not saying their not , but the one I acquired put a bad taste in my mouth)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FTF first round of every mag but two. A lot of second rounds also. Third or fourth round about half the time the slide would hang up for a second trying to feed it. The dealer said the newer Paras were plagued with problems. I don't know if he was full of it or not but mine was. I need to quit being so impatient when I get a case of the " I Wants"

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey ben,,I had a new GI Expert for awhile myself & I really liked it !! Only reason I sold it was cuz I saw a Colt Combat Elite & the rest was History,,,LOL!!! Anyways,,my Para was a little fussy,,but once I got things figured out it ran great !! I Never had any trouble with Winchester White Box,,I shot close to 1K of that Ammo & it ran perfect !! I had some trouble with my Lead 230 grn Reloads till I got them sorted out,,bullets seating depth,,correct/enough crimp,,,etc !!! It needs to be Lubed good,,I mean not excessive,,but it needs its grease for sure,,the slide to frame fit is very tight,,which is good,,but ya need the lube to make it run,,,at least mine did !!

Also I think the Mags are so-so,,mine ran ok most of the time,,but try some Wilson Combat or any Quality New Mag & I think you will see a difference,,,I know its new and you shouldn't have to buy mags already,,but the Factory ones are at best,, OK !!!GI4 I also took my good ole dremel tool and polished the feed ramp till ya could see yourself in it !! Not sure if that helped or not,,but once I did that,,got my reloads running & about 1500 rds through the gun it ran great !!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned and lubed it with care Sunday. I was shooting factory Rem 185 jhp and my 185 rem golden saber recipe. Neither one worked. My G30 ate anything. I once even loaded up some swc for it , it ate them up. Although it looked as if the bullets were hitting the target sideways. The GI may have just not liked 185 jhp's. But if it wont shoot a 185 jhp , I don't want it - a .45 that is. I may buy the G30 back from him at the right price. I miss it already. Just had a bad 9mm habbit for the last couple years. The GI also had 6 Chip McCormick Mags.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Well... I guess your a Glock man.GI2

R chip McCormic good mags??

I use Tripp magazines

1 - 8 of 8 Posts