M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THIS IS AN OLD THREAD, BUT IF YOU LOOK TOWARD THE LAST POSTING, THERE'S A LOT OF UPDATED, CURRENT INFORMATION.

These and the originals have been a hobby and avocation since retirement, and of course, these are historic and very functional, too. My "mutt" Breda M1 just went out the door wearing one, with an Italian-style rigging permutation. THEY ARE REPRODUCTIONS/RESTRIKES, albeit roughed up some, they can appear quite original and authentic.

I've been using these for decades now, and they're far sturdier than 70-year-old originals, many of which are worth way over $100 each. I've seen rarer ones go for $250!!

Price? Two for $50.00. I CHOOSE THEM MARKINGS AND FITTINGS AT THAT PRICE.

Want to pick from markings you see? They then become $30.00 a pop.

Premium? JT&L 1942, ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL 1918, and UNMARKED, all $34.00.

Fatiguing or neatsfoot conditioning on any non-pigmented dye type is $5.00 per sling.

I pay postage.

The Swiss "K" slings are $25.00 a pop, but if you order with any other sling or combination of slings, I'll knock off five bucks. See last couple of postings for images, or use the flickr.com links.

Again: If you use the two for fifty, I choose 'em. You don't. The whole idea is to get my gross numbers of straps down, and I have far more WW2 dated than I want. I always thought the unmarked ones with the matte phosphate finished steel hooks were particularly cool--and they can look a whole bunch of different ways.

Most are black hooked, lots of variations.

Dyed WW2 style unmarked with black fittings:

https://flic.kr/p/RBSwXs

Unmarked WW2 style sling with phosphated steel fittings:

https://flic.kr/p/2bX2Kq6
https://flic.kr/p/2bX2Kpz

https://flic.kr/p/2bX2Kpe
https://flic.kr/p/2bX2Kox

BLACK-HOOKED MILSCO:

hook profile M1907 unmarked ( yes, they're full weight, but not semi-circular configuration--easier to adjust!!)

hook profile M1907 unmarked ( yes, they're full weight, but not semi-circular configuration--easier to adjust!!)

MILSCO 1944 004

MILSCO 1942 dark 003

dyed MILSCO 1942 brown with blk ftgs

BRASS-HOOKED MILSCO 1942

Brass Milsco 1942 013

Brass Milsco 1942 008 (repros)

slings Milsco 1942 brass

ROCK ISLAND 1941:

RIA 1941 sling 004

RIA 1941 sling 001

Rock Island Arsenal 1941 WW2 format M1907 sling (3)

black 1907 mkg RIA 1941

Still have plenty of WWI dated slings. Mainly HOYT 1917 and Rock Island 1918. If you want, those are $30.00 each, and I even have a premium or two, but those are $34.00 a pop. The premium ones are drum-dyed, from selected hides, and have been compared to the "super-premium" ones at almost three times the price. Yes, you can choose markings on those. In the premium, I have unmarked and JT&L 1942. May soon have more "ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL 1918" in the premium units.

This--the "two for $50--is about getting these down to sensible quantities. Again, these are NOT the premium ones or WWI style, and they're MOSTLY blackened steel hooked. No, at the "special" price, YOU DON"T CHOOSE, I DO.

Best way to view this stuff is to sign in with any flickr.com or Yahoo i.d., and you can then search and view the entire collection. One can also enlarge and so on. No, there's no spam, and no one asks for your information beyond sign-in.

I pay the postage, unless you're in a huge hurry.

ALSO NEW: On the lighter units, I can neatsfoot specimens with one hefty coat for $3.00 each ADDITIONAL. That also involves an extra day, by the way.

I'll try to attach a few shots here, but using the links and browsing around gives you a lot more information.

I do have drum-dyed premium M1907's with brass fittings at $34.00 postpaid, unmarked and marked "JT&L 1942" that many compare to slings costing over twice as much.

Extra keepers are running low. They'll be sold ONLY with slings, at $2.00 each, but check first. I have more of the "long" extra-strength keepers than of the G.I. type.

Again: IF you choose by color and marking, slings are $30 each, postpaid. Add for oiling, etc., as noted.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jim what do you have for extra long. I need 2 for my vintage match rifles dark color but very usable. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Jim what do you have for extra long. I need 2 for my vintage match rifles dark color but very usable. Thanks Tim

Sorry. I had 54", 60", and even 70" in a marked-off (hook detent numbers) , upgraded B.A.R. sling style with three hooks. Those came from the same manufacturer, and he appears to be GONE.

We were negotiating a deal to make them in a version dyed on one side, matte/rough-out on the other, and that was April. The company seems to have just disappeared. Too bad. It messes up my tinkering.

UPDATE, 10/1/2020: I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND ANOTHER MAKER.

So no more of those until or unless something changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember, please. IF YOU CHOOSE A PARTICULAR MARKING OR COLOR, the price is $30.00 each.

I am low on some, awash in others, and the idea is to lean out my total.

Indeed, I've already had to reserve part of an incoming order.

Not to worry: These are all high quality products.

Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
En route

You should have tracking. Had a family member drop it off.

Thanks.

Other orders extant should go out by Saturday, if anyone is impatient, will try to get moving earlier.

Thanks.

Still have plenty remaining.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless there are complications, everything not already sent goes out Saturday.

You should all have tracking information.

Plenty of slings remain.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just for the heck of it, for those who prefer the WWI style, I'll extend this to "WWI brass" and "brass anonymous".

But MENTION THAT when ordering, and do so by the pair.

I still have LOTS of World War II units, including the brass-hooked MILSCO 1942.

And of course the premium jobs.

The special does NOT apply to the premium- drum-dyed units.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironically, have sent out more premium slings than standard, which was never my intention.

However, I am about six units ( three "two packs" ) from where I want to be with my standard items.

The G.I. length for the long strap is 49-51". The short strap with "D" ring is supposed to be 25-27" including the metal loop and "frog" or "hook". These conform to the specification. So does hook weight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bitter weather here. Ice storms. And car issues. Things may run a day or two late for a while.

As most of you know, stuff is generally out of here in 24 hours, maximum.

And MAYBE that will continue. Maybe not.

Will advise.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Note that the hooks on these are not the continuously curved units ( about 165 degrees) common with most actual military versions. That's because, long ago, Lawrence and others who made these determined the strap was awkward to adjust (slow) and required too much time when used as a shooting brace.

Many shooters bend the hooks to stiffen up the fit, others use extra keepers or simply tension the strap. Most find the reconfigured hook style--which WAS used on some very early slings and some very late, too, apparently--must quicker to use and adjust when going from use as a carrying device to use as a shooting aid.

Many, likewise, rig these "upside down" (with the points of the hooks AWAY from the arm and bottom of the butt stock), and/or "backwards" (short strap through front swivel) as a matter of course.

I comes down to style and convenience.

Bear in mind, I am also able to offer the brass-hooked WWI style under this special, and will do so as/if requested. Some of the WW2 ones ALSO have brass fittings.

Today is the 15th. Not much time remaining.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm out of a few things, and at the inventory point where I wanted to be, but my new shipment arrives shortly, so unless someone orders way more than I anticipate, I shall continue this until the 20th.

Might as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Some new items came with the shipment I got today.

ALL HOYT ARE NOW SOLD OUT, BUT THE KERR 1917 IS ALMOST IDENTICAL. DO NOT HAVE KERR IN BLACK HOOKED, THOUGH, JUST BRASS.
(updated early 2020)

https://flic.kr/p/2euz74T
https://flic.kr/p/2euz73F

https://flic.kr/p/2euz73a

https://flic.kr/p/2euz72P
https://flic.kr/p/SmrYxC

vertical mkgs hoyt 1917

The locals liked these neatsfooted, and bought quite a few.

Some remain.

And yes, with allowances for brutal weather, time and shipping and prices apply.

Note as above, and I'll try to load some shots here. Works best if one signs in to flickr.com with any yahoo i.d. One can then search and enlarge and look around. There are many millions of images there.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sale described above is concluded, but I have other M1907's in pretty solid quantities.

These all look real good neatsfooted. You can do it yourself, or I can do it for
Also have the premium UNMARKED ones, and of course the JT&L 1942.

The Premium ones last longer and hold up better, albeit in competition, it's smart to have extra keepers or learn to baffle the standard, older ones as they stretch.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I am again slightly overstocked, but as spring approaches...well.

Standard items are still regular price. I'm getting rave reviews on the super premium units, but they're not involved in this inventory reduction.

Will have another "two for $50.00"--I CHOOSE 'EM!!--but this time, want to start it on the 19th of February and run it until March 16th OR when I get my inventory where I want, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

Don't forget, I can oil these for $3 each before sending them out, and some of the "pre-oiled" Hoyt will be included in this reduction.

Usually I try to provide some variety on these pairs, that is, they'll rarely be two identical straps.

Another note: This tail end of this winter has been kind of erratic, so outflow may take a day or two longer than usual. If someone needs upgraded shipping, that can also be done, but is rarely worth it since weather causes more disruption.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts