M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best paint to use to paint my fiberglass stock?

I have stripped the sai crinkle finish off of my stock and now I would like to paint it up in a green/brown color scheme.

What is the best way of going about this?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've painted a couple using Krylon paint from the hardware store. I don't know if its the best way, but its the only way I've tried.
I used Citristrip to clean the stock, then a primer coat, and paint to suit. I've had some wear and chips around the mag well, I never bothered with a clear coat.
Check out the "show off your painted M14 types" thread in the M14 photo gallery section...lots of good ideas. GI2

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Krylon markets "Camouflage" paints that seem to be good per what I've read on the forum.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check out the painted picture thread, I didn't know we had one.

I also stopped in the hardware store and picked up some of the krylon camo paint I am going to use tomorrow.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Brownells Alumahyde II.
I found that Krylon was not durable enough for a rifle stock.
pg
USA2

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
alumahyde 2

I lay down a base of alumahyde 2 as a base coat and use krylon camo paints for the details. Painters tape is good for stencils. You can throw a clear acrylic coat on top for added durability if you wish.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What is the best paint to use to paint my fiberglass stock?...
You might take a look at the Rust-Oleum MultiColor Textured line. The finish is totally non-reflective and has a rough feel, as if sand was embedded in the surface. Just spray the lighter color on, let it dry, then stripe it with the darker color. You could end up with a stock looking like the one in Black Hawk Down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Brownells Alumahyde II. Stuff wears like iron, and is much more resistant to solvents than other paints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts