M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching the entire 10 hr miniseries and all I can say is WOW! They tried to stay as true to history as possible while intertwining the lives of a number of Marines who served together or crossed paths during the different battles during WWII.

Lots of Garand, Carbines and 03s throughout.

I highly recommend it! I liked it as much if not better than Band of Brothers, but that's probably cause I'm a MarineGI2

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Yup...

Someday (when it's free) I'll get to watch it too!

I saw, and liked the 1st episode.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The series really helped me appreciate just how much #### my uncle Jack went through.

If you like reading history books, "The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose is almost as good as his father's books. The book also has the room for stories about more people and more details.

No love scenes for the Ladies, though. GI2

·
Registered
3,649 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought HBO just for the time it was on an taped them...have watched the series 4 times....it was hard to know the characters the first time around, so it gets better being watched again. When Sledgehammer came home an his Dad took him dove hunting...well...it really got me...for the many Vets of any war that just couldn't hunt or shoot afterwards...God Bless an Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
When I was in the theater when 'Saving Private Ryan' came out there was an elderly man who broke down and cried. I had to wonder what he'd been through, if he was a vet from that war who probably thought that he was over his experiences.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
When I was in the theater when 'Saving Private Ryan' came out there was an elderly man who broke down and cried. I had to wonder what he'd been through, if he was a vet from that war who probably thought that he was over his experiences.
I know what you mean. I made the serious mistake of taking my dad to see Flags of our Fathers on his B-Day. Big mistake!. He was USMC 5th Div. Iwo Jima

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I'm glad they didn't do Pacific similar to Band of Brothers. Both were excellent in their own way. I identified with Pacific both as a Marine and as my Uncle Tiny (Army) had got shot at strafed and bombed in Pearl Harbor and he fought across the Pacific until he was wounded on Okinawa.

A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to talk with Lee Emery about Firebase Gloria and Full Metal Jacket. I told him the character he portrayed in Firebase Gloria was the Quintessential Marine Sergeant Major and he took me right back to Boot Camp in Full Metal Jacket. I really appreciated that he always portrayed a Marine as a Marine.

The movie that physically moved me the most, though, was Gettysburg and especially Pickett's Charge. As the camera pans over the faces of the troops before the charge, I saw many good reenacting friends who were in the movie.

We re-enacted Company I of the 47th VA Infantry Regiment and our original unit was in that charge. We were actually allowed to do the charge over the original ground before the movie came out, when we participated at the Gettysburg Rememberance Day back in the early 1980's. I was offered the command of a regiment in the movie, but originally it was supposed to go for 45 days and I could not get that much leave. They actually filmed it in a week or two and I was very disappointed I didn't know that until afterwards.

Anyway, as the charge went on, tears started flowing down both cheeks. I was in a movie theatre around Temecula, California and it was I could do to restrain myself from giving the Rebel Yell and shouting other things that would not have gone over very well in that portion of the country. Grin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Band of Brothers and Pacific make my blood warm when watching. My kids gave me BofB for Xmas and watched some of it with me. After a while they told me they were waiting to hear me yell.
Their mom told them when I was at the theather watching Platoon, I jumped to my feet and yelled during the part when the GI's yell "Ho Chi Minh sucks donky d---s" to the VC running away. I was caught up in the movie, because I was never embrassed about everyone looking at me there.

·
Honor Guard
156 Posts
I enjoyed BOB much more than the Pacific. Now, the story of John Basilone was very good, but the stories surrounding the other two characters seemed to be missing something.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wicked series

I enjoyed both BofB & The Pacific. Hard to pick which one is my favorite of the two. It painted a good picture of what the 2nd theater of WWII was like. It amazed me after watching it how few people know about the battles fought by the Marines. I guess not everyone opts for the 20th Century Military History class in college. (though you should!)

My 2 favorite lines are #1:
When Sledgehammer's folks send him a care-package & his buddy tells him to be sure to thank his father for the revolver. How one shot from a .45 will put the enemy down better then an entire clip from his carbine.

#2: When they are in Australia on the train shooting the new M1 Garands & one Marine said he will stick with his 03A3 because the Garand wasn't accurate enough!

Those both put a DI2 on my mug!
Cheers

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Can't recall exactly where I read it , but the info said Marines most definately were NOT issued '03A3s in the pacific theatre. Yes , many were armed with their trusty old 1903s when the island hopping began , but most Leathernecks looked for every opportunity to beg , borrow or steal a Garand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts