M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a set of Pachmayr "SN-L" grips for my newest Model 57 S&W .41 mag. The info on the box says they are designed to fit this revolver and are pretty much identical to the set I've got on my other .41 mag. The grips are SN-L so I didn't pick up a box with the wrong set of grips in it.

The problem is that they don't fit completely around the handle and there is a narrow gap along the front seam and the bottom seam. I inspected the firearm and the grips and can't find any protrusions or flaws in either the gun or the grips that could be causing the problem.

Any ideas about how to get them to fit correctly? :?: :?: :?:

The only thing I can think of is the Dremel the grips inside a little bit but that is a project I don't want to take on unless I have no other choice.

Sure would appreciate some good advice here - this is a first for me and I've used Packmayrs for years without any problem like this.

Thanks,

duckbuck

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Easy way to check fit of the grips is with the old grips off use some of the wife's lipstick & mark the frame with it then try fitting the grips. The problem should show up on the inside of the grips.
HH

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Duck, I'll figure that you got the grips to fit by now. I just had the same problem with a Ruger Security Six that I've had for years. It had a set of Daley combat grips on it the last couple of decades, but they cracked the left grip last time out. Bought a set of Grippers for it. Had the same looking problem. Borrowed Lfox's emory board and touched up the channels and flats with a 100 and a 180 grit emory board. They now fit like a champ.

Just got a bid in for a Model 57-1, in 98% last night. Still has the Magna grips on it. I offered $310, and he took it!

Lfox is picking up an older Model 29, with a 6" barrel. This is also a 98% gun, for $375.00. Both weapons have been shot a little, then cleaned and lubed a lot. Also has the old style Magna grips.

Looked at a Model 30, Model 28-2, Model 14-3 from Maryland Gun Works as a PPC revolver, Model 19-2, and a Model 17. We will probably be buying some of them in the near future, too.

There was also a Colt Gold Cup National Match, a Manhurin-Walther PP, a Walther PPK/S American, and a S42 G marked Luger P08, with a correct holster and spare mag. Oh, and a Smith & Wesson Model 52-1.

This is part of a collection from a retired LEO. He's selling his "less than favorites" to expand his home/shop area. His loss, our gain. :D :D

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Model 57 - 1 for $310. 8O 8O 8O

Jr, my friend - You must be livin' right. :D :D :D What a deal!!! Model 57's are about as common as hen's teeth, if you can even find one.

Paid a bunch more than that for my Model 57 and I thought I got a good deal. You sure you didn't send in the "girl in the pink thong" to soften him up first???

Looks like you hit the "mother-lode" of handguns - send us pics if you get some of them.

Really like to see a pic of the Model 17 - bet that "little .22" is worth some bucks. Not familiar with a model 30 - what cal is it and when were they produced?

My first service revolver was a K-38 Combat Masterpiece, 4". Loved that gun even though it was just a .38 spl. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Most of us bought them when we traded them in and you are sooooo right - they made some outstanding PPC guns. Many happy hours at the range popping wad-cutters with my buddies. Best I could ever do was 2nd place though - he a friend that was just plain "nuts" when it came to shooting. The guy was scary good.

Have a good one and don't get too mouthy with Lfox - those 29's will put a hurt on you a Band-aid won't fix. 8O :wink:

duckbuck

BTW - still don't have the grips fitting exactly right. Those Pacmayr's are one-piece units and I still haven't figured out a way to remove the last little scraps of extra material because I can't get a tool to where I can reach them. Oh Well - another Saturday project.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Lfox and I are quite compatible, thank you. Both of us understand each other. I'm also the best shot of the two, so far.

Yes, we both seem to fall into these deals on occasion. The retired LEO has sent these up here to Md. because the prices in N.C. were even lower!

The Model 30 is a 2" in .32 S&W Long. I think that they used to be called Bankers Specials. Made between 1946 and 1970. Cute little fellow, in about 70%.

The Model 17 will more than likely come home with us. I have a soft spot in my heart for older .22 weapons. Just picked up a Savage Model 6D rifle, from the 1920-1930 era, in about 75%.

We'll try to get the collection of weapons back here again for a photo op. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until we buy as many as possible. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
hi duckbuck, thought i'de offer you a pic of my pre-model 18
love them .22 k frames
serial number puts it to 1954. got a extra set of mother of pearl grips with it.

let me know if you want to look.

shot

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You bet Shotgun - I'd love to see it. :D :D :D

Always enjoy looking at guns (especially handguns and battlerifles) and learning more about them. I'm not much of a collector, so I don't know as much about the different manufacturers and models as I would like to.

Because of my work, I've got just about one-of-every-kind of the most popular police calibers, but don't have the ability (read that as $$$$) to collect all of the firearms I'd like to have - so I have to count on my friends to show me what they've got stashed away and teach me more about them.

I appreciate the offer - I'm looking forward to it.

duckbuck

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Yeah - Now That's What I'm Talkin' About!!! :D :D :D

Very nice - Shot. Just love those classic Smith & Wesson "wheel-guns".

If that gun was made in 1954, it looks like someone really knows how to take care of a firearm the right way.

I always thought that .22's like this would be a perfect way to teach a new shooter how to shoot a Smith revolver. It looks identical to a .38 spl from what I can see.

Had a buddy that had a S&W "K-22" ??? ( IIRC that's what he called it). While we were slaving away over a "hot" reloading press, working our poor fingers to the bone loading up wadcutters, he would smirk at us, slip on down to the store and pick up a brick of .22's and drop by to tell us he was heading to the range. :p :p :p

How do you like the grip adapter? I've got one that is similar on my J-frame Model 36 that I just couldn't do without. Really makes a difference.

Anyway - great gun. Just love to see those pics :mrgreen:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get some paper towels to clean the slobber off my keyboard.

Dennis

·
Registered
180 Posts
duckbuck,
thats an old "tyler t", it really fills the grip, i like them. i do think they're still available, but kinda hard to find. i do like the older magna style grips, and the newer S&W combat grips are the best for me.
that old smith shows better in pics then up close, but all in all still in great shape for its age. those mother of pearl grips you gotta see in person. they aint that functional but remind me of how people used to dress up thier guns.
got one more for ya ! its a S&W model 13-2, 4inch pinned and recessed. bet you saw alot of them. this one is in great condition. mostly if you find one of these old guys its been a duty gun for so long its finish is hardly left. i'll send you a pic later or tomorrow.

shot

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Yes Sir, Bring em on. :D :D :D

Tomorrow - did you say? Good deal. That gives me some time to go to Walmart and get some more paper towels. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love those Smiths.\:D/

Dennis

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Hi! The deal is done! Lfox collects a fine S&W Model 29, and the S&W Model 57-1 is mine, and at the prices mentioned!

We also have first pick on the Model 28-2, the Model 19-2, and the Model 17. Yes, I'm a happy camper!! The Model 30 is going to a young man in his early teens, and the Walther to a female friend of ours. That leaves the Gold Cup NM, the Model 52-1, the Model 14-3, a Manhurin PP, and a DWM S42 G P-08 in a 1935 dated issue holster.

If I can figure a way to do it, the Manhurin and the NM 1911A1 will also come to live with us. I'm only marginally interested in the Model 52-1, mostly due to it's uniqueness, and the P08 is way out of my price range!

Now, if only a deal like this came through on an original M2 Carbine. Ah well, one can only hope. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All Right - JR and Lfox. :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new "goodies". A new life for some of Smith and Wesson' finest creations and some happy new owners. That's a "Win-Win" if I ever heard of one. =D> =D> =D>

When you get em home and all spiffied up, I sure love seeing some pics. Really love to see a pic of the Manhurin - don't know anything about em, but would love to learn some new "good stuff".

"Gotta love those Smiths." \:D/

Congrats again and you folks have a good one.

duckbuck

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
I don't normally post pics, my insurance has siezures at the thought of us broadcasting to any and all our collection, but these are sweet enough that I think an exception will be made. Due to Maryland law, it will be several weeks before we get them presentable.

The old Walther plant was located in the French sector of occupied Germany. The machinery was shipped to Manhurin, a French manufacturer, and PP-sized clones were built by them. They are of fine fit and finish, and all parts should interchange. Walther "licensed" them to build the pistols until the Germans were allowed to reopen their firearms capability. :D

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
OK, the Model 29 and Model 57 are ours. Now, we're headed for the Model 28 and the Model 19. Three "N"frames, and a "K" frame. Lastly goes the Model 17, and maybe the Manhurin. I'm growing nostalgic for a NM Gold Cup 1911A1. 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

While we were buying these, an unissued M39 Finn "B" just happened to tag along home. My kind of day!!! :D :D

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Congrats" - JR and LFox =D>

Don'tcha just love it when a plan comes together? \:D/

Hope you have many happy hours at the range makin' em go - BANG. I just love Smiths and I've never been able to make up my mind whether I liked "N" or "K" frames the best - so I just bought some of both.

The only question I have is: "Where do you find all these cool toys?"

Thanks for letting me know they are safe at home now. Made my day just hearing about it.

Dennis

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
I'm one of those people who have lived here for half a century. I've been active with the shooting sports for almost as long. I also deal with LEO, military, and Federal Agencies on a regular basis. This leads me to meet a lot of people, many of whom share my interest in firearms. When a deal comes around, or even when somebody just wants to know about a weapon, or it's value, I get a call. If I can afford it, it's mine. If I can't, I'll try to find somebody who can. My tastes are eclectic, as are those of Lfox, so we can usually find it in our hearts to acquire "just one more" inhabitant for the "JR and Lfox Home for Wayward Weapons." 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.