M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 170210

View attachment 170218 I made a target of opportunity purchase of a Winchester P14 this week. I have only started to look at the different SN and those have raised more questions.

The Receiver and Barrel SNs match. Early production 57XXX No asterisk on the barrel. The sight has different SN. The Safety is an Eddystone part. The bolt is Winchester but the original SN on the top of the bolt arm has been peened out with only a few numbers visible. The rifle's SN has been stamped on the bottom of the bolt handle with a W following the numbers. The metal has been through the WW2 Weeden Repair Standard (W.R.S.) rebuild as the rear aperture volley sight has been milled off.

Question on the Bolt. If this was a non * refurbished as an * would it have gotten a new bolt with change of numbers? Or could the bolt have been changed out during the WW2 W.R.S refurbishment?

The bottom wood is and Eddystone Fat Stock without finger grips. This was probably done by a collector as it still has the front volley sights. I will take advantage of that and have ordered a rear sight. One of the previous owner took care of it as it looks like it has been bedded a while back. I have not done a cleaning of the barrel but the lands and grooves are all visible for the length of the barrel and the barrel under the wood looks to be in very good shape.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"...would it have gotten a new bolt with change of numbers?"

Yes.

The Brits put the numbers on the bolt and if they re-bolted it, for any reason, whenever, they would renumber as well. The fact that the number on top of the bolt handle hasn't been ground off indicates an official replacement.

I had an early Winchester with a late Eddystone bolt and an "EY" (for "EmergencY") on the butt next to the roundel.
This bolt had had the left locking lug ground back to allow the bolt to work with the original barrel---and the grind marks were very, very visible. It was renumbered exactly like yours.
-----krinko

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"...would it have gotten a new bolt with change of numbers?"

Yes.

The Brits put the numbers on the bolt and if they re-bolted it, for any reason, whenever, they would renumber as well. The fact that the number on top of the bolt handle hasn't been ground off indicates an official replacement.

I had an early Winchester with a late Eddystone bolt and an "EY" (for "EmergencY") on the butt next to the roundel.
This bolt had had the left locking lug ground back to allow the bolt to work with the original barrel---and the grind marks were very, very visible. It was renumbered exactly like yours.
-----krinko
Thanks

I will be taking it to a gunsmith to do some measurements. My measuring of the bolt lugs shows it that they are the original short length. I will take a look for grind marks.

Chris

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update on the P14. It appears to be an Early P14, as there are no * markings and the bolt lugs are the same length. Evidently the British armorers changed the bolt out to a serviceable non * bolt when it was refurbished.

I am sure a collector restored it with the fat Eddystone stock with the front volley sight. The collector also bedded the stock. I have installed a rear volley sight replacing the one that had the arm cut off. The forward volley sight is missing the small bolt that provides the aimpoint on the sight arm. I may fabricate a replacement

Seems to be a very nice shooter at a 100 yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts