M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canadian company is offering a weekend discount on Magpul M2 MOE 30 round windowed magazines, sadly but necessarily legalized for Canada. The only problem is that they come without the dustcovers Magpul usually includes, which makes me nervous. I mean, I never use the things but I don't throw them away either. Opinions on NOT having them for a set of P mags gratefully received!

·
Registered
939 Posts
1've got an even mix of Gen2 MOE mags (no covers) and Gen3 mags (with covers). Haven't used them yet, but in the future? I dunno - maybe?

If it's really important to you, use the Gen2's as training mags only.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I thought even current Mag-Puls don't come with dust covers anymore?

I have several Gen M2 in the wrapper with no dust covers.

The dust covers are no longer advertised as needed for storing loaded magazines.

·
Registered
290 Posts
MagPul offers the dust covers in a 3 pack if you want extras.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you buy the MOE line of pmags they will not come with dust covers. I found that out last year with all the hustle and bustle with getting the when you can. I was bummed when my mags came in with out them and realized with.. oh well

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Not sure if it would make any difference if mags are only loaded to 28 rounds. Remember USGI mags don't have dust covers and are aluminum bodied.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Electrical tape.
My understanding is that the dust cover's primary function is to keep the mag's feed lips from spreading if the mag is stored loaded. Some plastic/polymer mags are infamous for having this happen - the Israeli Orlite mags, for example.

Besides, electrical tape would leave a sticky residue, and begin peeling off after a while. Who wants to deal with that? GI2

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
My dust covers went in the trash when packing gear for Iraq. I know people that have used the same ones for 3+ deployments without them and never had an issue.

If you were storing them loaded for 20 years, maybe. But if they're being used atleast every few years, don't worry about it. Polymer doesn't stay bent out of shape like the aluminum mags do.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The dust covers do not matter. I've never used them and carried Pmags in Iraq and Afghanistan with no issues. Just take your mags apart and clean them every so often.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I bought 2 Gen 2 PMags and 2 Gen 3 PMags for evaluation. The dust covers provided with the Gen 3 mags are very difficult to get off. The back of the mag under the dust cover is straight. The mag cover pivots from the front. So, as the dust cover is pushed up and pivoting, it is being pulled toward the front of the mag thus making it more difficult to get off. Because of the material used, there's virtually no flexibility in the dust covers.

I think it's a bad design. I also see no reason to make the covers out of the same hard material as the mags. Seems to me a soft, pliable material would have been better.

Just use the mags without their covers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have 4 or 5 PMags with covers but I never use the covers.
Yes they are a PITA to get off and on.
One other point of why I find PMags a pain is one will drop free the others you have to yank out of the gun.
USGI mags or surefire mags work just fine for me.
Not a fan of any of the magpul stuff but the flip up iron sights those I do like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.