M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having torn a muscle in my shoulder before Christmas, I'm experiencing the sensation of having a red hot darning needle laid along my upper arm every time I move a certain way, which is making me review all the OTC pain relief at my disposal, and out of that comes this little personal survey. I'm not an authority and no doubt there are other ideas out there- plus, I urge everyone to look stuff up without taking my word for anything, please.

1): Aspirin, aka ASA, aka Acetosalicylic acid: a derivative of willow bark, the original effective people's pain killer and so good that the conventional wisdom is that it would never be made over-the-counter if discovered in modern times. It reduces fever, relieves pain, reduces inflammation, and is a first rate anti-clotting agent. Drawbacks are that it is very hard on the stomach and can promote or cause ulcers, and worse that it can cause out-of-control fever spikes in young children and sometimes young adults ['Rheys syndrome']. Latest development is that daily dose ASA can prevent heart attacks and stroke, but enteric coating is necessary to prevent long-term stomach damage. EDIT, as per suggestion below: because of it's anti-clotting property, aspirin may be counter indicated where there is an injury involving extensive bleeding.

2): Tylenol, aka acetaminophen ('tylenol' is possibly a trademark, mods please remove the word if so): ASA's big-city laboratory offsrpring, it has most of the same benefits but does not fight clotting or damage the stomach. Acetominophen was well received as a problem free product, esp re Rheys syndrome, but it turns out to be unpredictably toxic to the liver, esp when taken with alcohol within several days [I personally never use it anymore after an annual liver test revealed liver enzymes that were off the chart (not a good thing) and I realized I had taken some the day before]. A more recent scientific survey showed that consistent doses even slightly over the recommended ones can lead to total liver failure, booze or no.

3): Ibuprofen - a modern aspirin derivative but much more powerful than the older product. Strong and effective enough to be referred to as "Vitamin i " by endurance athletes, it is like asprin hard on the stomach and is said to reduce the benefits of taking long-term aspirin on a heart and stroke regimen. The Sweets medicine chest is full of bottles of ibuprofen.

4): Naproxen sodium: almost a mystery drug to yours truly and the most recently approved for over-the-counter sales, it is a pain killer and anti-arthritic, very highly regarded by some users and the effects of which are supposed to last 12 hours per dose. This is the one I'm currently trying out on my torn muscle injury, with mixed short term results. Old Sweets would give a lot for a good old ibuprofen right now, but the experiment will continue.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don;t forget about Ice Packs...heat packs too.
If it's a recent tear...ice will keep down some swelling...and provide decent pain/numbing relief.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Having torn a muscle in my shoulder before Christmas, I'm experiencing the sensation of having a red hot darning needle laid along my upper arm every time I move a certain way, which is making me review all the OTC pain relief at my disposal, and out of that comes this little personal survey. I'm not an authority and no doubt there are other ideas out there- plus, I urge everyone to look stuff up without taking my word for anything, please.

1): Aspirin, aka ASA, aka Acetosalicylic acid: a derivative of willow bark, the original effective people's pain killer and so good that the conventional wisdom is that it would never be made over-the-counter if discovered in modern times. It reduces fever, relieves pain, reduces inflammation, and is a first rate anti-clotting agent. Drawbacks are that it is very hard on the stomach and can promote or cause ulcers, and worse that it can cause out-of-control fever spikes in young children and sometimes young adults ['Rheys syndrome']. Latest development is that daily dose ASA can prevent heart attacks and stroke, but enteric coating is necessary to prevent long-term stomach damage. EDIT, as per suggestion below: because of it's anti-clotting property, aspirin may be counter indicated where there is an injury involving extensive bleeding.

2): Tylenol, aka acetaminophen ('tylenol' is possibly a trademark, mods please remove the word if so): ASA's big-city laboratory offsrpring, it has most of the same benefits but does not fight clotting or damage the stomach. Acetominophen was well received as a problem free product, esp re Rheys syndrome, but it turns out to be unpredictably toxic to the liver, esp when taken with alcohol within several days [I personally never use it anymore after an annual liver test revealed liver enzymes that were off the chart (not a good thing) and I realized I had taken some the day before]. A more recent scientific survey showed that consistent doses even slightly over the recommended ones can lead to total liver failure, booze or no.

3): Ibuprofen - a modern aspirin derivative but much more powerful than the older product. Strong and effective enough to be referred to as "Vitamin i " by endurance athletes, it is like asprin hard on the stomach and is said to reduce the benefits of taking long-term aspirin on a heart and stroke regimen. The Sweets medicine chest is full of bottles of ibuprofen.

4): Naproxen sodium: almost a mystery drug to yours truly and the most recently approved for over-the-counter sales, it is a pain killer and anti-arthritic, very highly regarded by some users and the effects of which are supposed to last 12 hours per dose. This is the one I'm currently trying out on my torn muscle injury, with mixed short term results. Old Sweets would give a lot for a good old ibuprofen right now, but the experiment will continue.
Seems to me you are from Canada, if this is correct you have OTC pain killers not available here in the States. Go to your pharmacy and ask at the counter for acetaminophen, codine, and caffeine. Your country allows the sale of this OTC. I drive up every couple of years and pick up several bottles,they are suprisingly inexpensive. I believe this is equal to Tylenol #1 in the lower 48.
It is one of the only meds that helps my daughter cope with her migraines.

Jim

·
Registered
999 Posts
You can get DMSO,

you apply it to the sore area.

Comes in a jar and you can buy online.

They just approved it for knee application after 30 years.

I use it and it works real well.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
just be carefull on the amount taken daily.

ibuprofen 2400 mg
tylenol 5000 mg i think
exceeding these limits can cause liver damage/malfunction

also check out script diclofenac

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am nearing the end of my naproxen trial and am declaring the stuff mostly unsuccessful for a muscle tear type of injury. I mean, it's all right but nowhere near as effective as ibuprofen would be in the same situation. Always nice to have some of whatever is available for different types of serious pain, so of course I'm keeping a supply of naproxen in stock. Recommend Costco for that, as usual.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I only use Ibuprofen to get out of bed in the morning...

GI2

(Remember the scene from the old TV Show---Welcome Back, Kotter! ?)
Gabe Kotter is sitting on the side of his bed moaning and groaning...
All of a sudden he yells out---Oh No!
His cute Wife says---What's The Matter???
Kotter Says...
"That's My Father's Noise...I'm Making My Father's NOISE!"

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ibuprofen seems to work best for me when needed. After hours of cutting firewood, etc, it helps the sore muscles.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just be carefull on the amount taken daily.

ibuprofen 2400 mg
tylenol 5000 mg i think
exceeding these limits can cause liver damage/malfunction

also check out script diclofenac
Having Googled 'diclofenac', I see that I've heard of it, but under a trade name. It's sold for relief of arthritis symptoms. Good to know it's there and if it has any particular properties we should know of, please post them!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
How about getting a copy of, The 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution. You may be able to reduce your pain by performing the correct type of exercises.

Natrol, makes a supplement called MSM, which may be of benefit.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=7+minute+rotator+cuff+solution&sprefix=7+minute+rotator[/ame]

Regards

Ox

·
Resident Rascal
13,503 Posts
Don't forget Jack Daniels, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Reactions: m14nm

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How about getting a copy of, The 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution. You may be able to reduce your pain by performing the correct type of exercises.

Natrol, makes a supplement called MSM, which may be of benefit.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=7+minute+rotator+cuff+solution&sprefix=7+minute+rotator

Regards

Ox
I appreciate this and the other suggestions such as applying heat or cold. Always good to know alternate healing methods for when surgery may not be available. I've had rotator cuff issues before, and my current little thing isn't anything as bad as that. In fact in the multiple years when my r-cuff was at its worst, this would have been a welcome vacation. I more started this string as a survey and I was just using the torn muscle to test naproxin, a pain killer that was totally new to me- I'd been frustratingly pain free for several months after buying some GI1.

Naproxin does last for 12 hours BTW, and I know someone with osteoarthritis who assures me she couldn't remain at work without it.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems to me you are from Canada, if this is correct you have OTC pain killers not available here in the States. Go to your pharmacy and ask at the counter for acetaminophen, codine, and caffeine. Your country allows the sale of this OTC. I drive up every couple of years and pick up several bottles,they are suprisingly inexpensive. I believe this is equal to Tylenol #1 in the lower 48.
It is one of the only meds that helps my daughter cope with her migraines.

Jim
I didn't realise what a privilege OTC codeine tablets are. I tend to disregard them because the stuff is typically only offered together with tylenol these days, and I no longer use that. Also, I had a bizarre reaction to prescription pain killers one time, after dental surgery- they made the pain much worse. I don't know that codeine was specifically the drug that did that- but it probably was.

For sure, they taught us in the basic EMS training I took that codeine is normally regarded as a multiplier- it works better with ASA or tylenol than it does on its own, and also it is said to somehow make them more effective themselves. Except on me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts