M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not the right place for this, but I wanted to pass this trick on. If you ever come across an old grungy stock that is black from years of abuse and you want to bring it back to the natural look then oven cleaner does an awesome job. All you need to do is put your stock in the bath tub and spray the oven cleaner right onto the stock til it is on thick ( you will want plenty of ventilation maybe a fan or do it outside) . Wait for about 15 mins. or more and you will see all the grime come out. Spray off with the shower and let it dry and you will see it looks like it is still in the factory ready to be cured with oil. If it is a walnut stock then you will even be able to smell the wood. I always use BLO to cure the stock when it's dried. I hope this helps it has worked for me many times.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
And wear latex gloves. Oven cleaner is a base and very caustic. It wreaks havoc on your fingernails.

I would also recommend not using the tub. The grease, etc will be left in the tub as a residual.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Reactions: pasote

·
Registered
50 Posts
Be careful though. Fifteen or so years ago when a mint condition M14 stock could be had for $50-$75 I bought a real beauty at a gun show and like a fool, decided I could make it look even better by drawing all the oil out, giving it a light sanding and then re-oiling. It was my first and last experience with Easy-Off.

I sprayed it on, let the time get away from me and maybe thirty minutes later washed it off to find a stock that was char-broiled beyond salvage. I would have had to have sanded who knows how deep to get rid of the baked outer shell of wood. Broke my heart.

If you use the stuff, do not exceed a few minutes.

DeWayne

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I use "Simple Green" or "Purple Power" might take a little longer but it's safer for you and the stock metal... if you don't remove the liner, sling swivel, and ferule

1 - 14 of 14 Posts