M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a decent place to shoot 100 to 300 yards or more (600 would be awesome) outdoors in/ near "happy valley" ?

I've only heard of.. i think the Orem gun club near the alpine loop, but their only open one day a week, a day that I happen to be working. I've heard of the Thistle sheriffs range, but they're always closed. I have a brother in law that has some property up against BLM land out near Elberta, but it's a bear to get to, and if its raining, forget it, you'll only get your truck stuck. On top of that I can never remember how to get there. (*sigh*)

Is there anywhere else to go? Anything on the other side of Utah lake? I remember some brush fire out there that was started by some steel ammo a couple years back.

I'm a bit tired of indoor 25 yard ranges. I need some sunshine, a light breeze, and the smell of morning dew and burnt powder in my nostrils.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest, I was about to post for a shooting buddy. My NM M1A needs to be taken out for a walk. To answer your question, I have heard the range in Price runs out to 1000yds. I am looking for a closer place too, and wouldn't mind joining forces on this one to find a place to shoot and a shootin' buddy (just moved here from Washington State, and had 3 outdoor ranges 15 mins from the house).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just remembered, I completely forgot about hearing last winter that there's a range on the northern edge of Nephi, right off I15 facing to the east. Look it up on a satallite map like google maps. Looks like there's 4 lanes total, but only 1 lane looks like it might be a 100 to 200 yards.

I'd wager you'd be up at the crack of dawn assuming that range is still there and the sat map not outdated.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Apparently you CAN shoot on the other side of Utah lake, if you drive south past the usual places where you have to wear a flak jacket, keep going south, until you get to an entrance in the fence. There are signs all over the place forbidding shooting. but if you drive in past the power lines it's legal to shoot there. I see people up against that hill all the time. You'll have to shoot a slight incline to get 300 yards, but should be okay.

this is not guaranteed info but a buddy of mine swears he called sheriffs, rangers, BLM etc. and that's what he was told.

It sucks that a supposedly gun-friendly state has posted every frickin' place within an hour's drive.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I just remembered, I completely forgot about hearing last winter that there's a range on the northern edge of Nephi, right off I15 facing to the east. Look it up on a satallite map like google maps. Looks like there's 4 lanes total, but only 1 lane looks like it might be a 100 to 200 yards.

I'd wager you'd be up at the crack of dawn assuming that range is still there and the sat map not outdated.
I believe there's somewhere up Ogden canyon also... the utah long range shooters are up there I think.

But I have no specifics. If you're looking at going to Nephi you may as well go to Lee Kay in Salt Lake. I know they have a 100 yd range and I believe a 300 as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts