M14 Forum banner

How has your "Other" Mfr. rifle treated you so far?

• Runs like a well balanced top, no issues.

Votes: 36 34.0%
  • Runs great but changed some parts to suit myself.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Had some small issue(s) which I addressed myself.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Had some small issue(s) which I had the Mfr. or gunsmith address.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Had major issues which had to be addressed by the Mfr. or gunsmith.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Had small or major issue(s) and returned or sold the rifle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bought a receiver and it needed little to no fitting to work.

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Bought a receiver and it needed major fitting to work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bought a receiver so out of spec it had to be returned.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I have an SA Inc. rifle but wanted to vote anyway so I didn't feel left out.

Votes: 46 43.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like my poll regarding SA Inc., this is NOT a bashing thread, anyone bashing I'll ask the mods to delete your post, period.

This is meant to be an honest to goodness OTHER MFR. complete rifle functionality poll. So if you have had no issues right out of the box, say so. Small issues that you've fixed yourself like extractors, sights, loose/tight gas plug or similar... Or major issues needing to be sent in for repairs/replacement such as barrel indexing, safety bridge issues, damaged/broken parts or the like. Please include a post giving the details of your rifle(s), who built them and when, and if they've run fine or had issues. This is also a multiple choice poll so mark all that apply.

Also, please include any dimensional issues regardless of how the rifle functions.

Again, no hate, just a vote and details.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought one of the first 100 LRB M25 receivers made in 2006. Had it built up initially by Jon Tank who reported no major issues after gauging and assembling it. Later had it rebarreled by a fellow member who also reported no major issues. Has run flawlessly for the rifle's part since I first received it and after rebarreling. I did have one magazine causing feeding issues but have fixed it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought an LRB M14SA sent it to SEI all SEI parts.... Andy said the lugs needed to be worked on (pretty common I hear) and as soon as I got it back I went promptly to the range and fired the heck out of it... NOT A SINGLE ISSUE WITH ME LRB M14 Crazy Horse!!!! I love my rifle 110% all the way!!! its action cycles smooth... form, fit and function are like a well tuned clock!

·
Registered
421 Posts
My present shooter is an Armscorp rec. It started out with a china parts kit that I shot for several years before having an all H&R USGI kit installed. Rifle has always worked fine. I didn't shoot it for several years as I played with the black rifles and now that I've started to shoot it again I notice the barrel (front sight) is off center.

I had a pair of the rec. and on one the "ears" for the bolt stop broke off during the build on the second one. Armscorp replaced the rec., the rifle was built (all TRW USGI parts) with no problems. I haven't shot it.

Edit: mine were put together by Dan Geisert (?).

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Armscorp rifle was built by Jon Wolfe and I have not had any functional problems with it. All I've done is swap stocks and handguards, but only for aesthetic reasons. I am VERY happy with my rifle.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In all fairness, isn't this thread too broad based to compare it to the SAI poll?
It's not necessarily a direct comparison between SA Inc. and "X" manufacturer but more of SA Inc. compared to the one off custom builds which is what most other manufacturers are. The spirit of the poll is to show functional related issues regardless of make. We hear a lot of harping on SA Inc. (I'm guilty myself) and people saying get a 7.62mm rifle or LRB rifle or SEI rifle or Armscorp or Fulton or have Ted, Gus, Art, Jon, Hook or whoever build it... So the comparison is what's the functional issue percentage between SA Inc. and other makers? Not directly against a specific manufacturer. However, if you want more specifics that's why I asked people to post the make and builder so people can do their own research and have this info in two threads rather than 3000 different threads with rants or praises and all the bashing and such. I believe a great rifle can be built on any receiver that's close enough to spec that it only needs minor fitting. I've seen great shooting Fultons, Armscorps, SEI's, LRB's and even Fed Ord's. However I've also heard some horror stories about most of them too. This is that chance to get it all out in the open and see how the custom builds compare to SA Inc.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is that chance to get it all out in the open and see how the custom builds compare to SA Inc.
Yes, but this thread would allow unmodified Norinco M14's into the category, as well as a few other less common - but not hand fit and customized guns.

Just sayin'.

Personally, I'd love to see a bunch of Canucks chime in with how their Norinco M14's are put together. Last time I looked, those things were going for $400, or $500 bucks? I personally wouldn't buy a Norinco for boycott/political reasons myself, but I don't agree with not importing them into States.. others should be free to decide for themselves.

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see how quality control fares.

Thing is, if we conducted that poll and managed to get a significant enough number of votes, I think we'd find:

A "minor" issue on a $400 Norinco is a "major" issue on a SAI. Likewise, a "minor" issue on a SAI is seen as a "major" issue on a much more expensive custom build.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is more like a free for all, except SA Inc. If you have a chicom that's running great, say it. If it's been converted, say that too. Personally I'd say a soft bolt in any rifle is a major issue.

Here's where I'm going with this... People have said SA Inc. puts out the most rifles than all the others combined so we see the most problems from them. So here's a chance to see which are the most trouble free, have the most issues and of what type. We'll let the numbers do the talking.

If I broke this down into manufacturers you'd have about 15 polls with maybe 5 to 50 answers each to go through. That just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I voted "runs like a top, no issues"

I bought a used rifle here in the PX in 2007.
LRB M14SA #12** built at SEI in 2003.
17 5/8 Douglas med. weight non chrome lined barrel, SEI GLFS (hooded), TRW bolt, op rod and trigger group with SEI trigger job and unitized gas cylinder. It now sits in a Whamo Camo stock with a Hawk dummy selector kit.
I've had this rifle for three years and you still can't wipe the smile off my face...DI5

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have rifles made by the following.

Fed Ord.
Smith Enterprise.
SAI.
LRB.
Armscorp.

All have been 100% GTG.

A good friend had an early Socom that needed to go back. It did not function at all out of the box. SAI did a LOT of work and returned it in about 3 weeks. It has been flawless since then.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I bought an LRB barreled M25 receiver (SAK profile barrel and TRW bolt). Finished it up myself with mostly GI parts I collected over a year or so. No issues whatsoever in assembly and it's been 100% functional.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've got a Poly that I bought new and the only thing I ever did until re-barrel was replace the springs after 8 years. Rebarreled after 12 years and beaucoup rounds. My Norinco I was the second owner (1st had run maybe 200rds. through it) that I sold had spring issues and would double quite often until I put a heavy set of springs in it and then it ran fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I (have a IDE imported polytech , no issues at all. I did change out the recoil spring and guide rod just because as well as stock (s) and flash suppressor. I have a spare hrt bolt, complete trigger group and rear sight if I ever need them or might install them just because I like the idea of USGI parts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
My two LRB built M25's are absolutely beautiful, smooth cycling, with no issues at all.

To be fair, I have hardly shot them, but they function flawlessly. I have two M25's to be built, and two more coming from LRB. Ted Brown is to build two, and I will build the final two.

I like the LRB receivers, builds, and customer service very much.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Polytech M-14S, the only issue I had, the stock broke at the pistol grip because the top cleaning kit hole was 1/4"+ too high and 3/4"+ too deep. Otherwise magazine issues only.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts