M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am in the middle of cleaning my 14 and as usual I do a close inspection. Today I found pitting on the side of the piston where it smacks against the gas plug.I do not see any cracks on the end of the piston though.

The pitting extends about half way from the end to the first groove. Its also about a quarter of an inch side to side with varying amounts of pitting.

I see a little bit of scoring on the gas cylinder wall where the piston is pitting and the rest of the cylinder is perfect. The piston has about 2500 rounds on it.

So I'm thinking it's time for a new piston, probably a Sadlak, but would like to know what the experts have to say on this matter.If pics are needed I can post em' up later.

I have a Fulton Armory double welded front band NM cylinder and I hope it is not damaged bad enough to need replacement.

Thanks

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,298 Posts
Pitting on the piston is not uncommon even through the pistons are supposed to be stainless steel. Measure the outside body diameter. It should not be under .4965". However, if the rifle still functions OK the gas system and piston are still good. Pitting should not cause a functioning issue by itself. A Sadlak TN coated piston is a good choice.

·
Read Only
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I measured .497" all around the piston so it does not seem to be worn out. Even around the pitted area. The rifle is shooting great as last Monday I shot 2 MOA at 100 yds with irons and it was a little bit windy that day.

So while I'm at it I'll replace the piston and gas plug. Ya know, the might as wells.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have 2000 rounds on my piston and think that it is still pretty good. Don't discard it early. These parts aren't cheap.

You are lucky that's all you found. On my recent clean, replace op rod spring and lube, I found a glass smooth left bolt lug with a divot worn on it (famous maker factory rifle). I thought that I should maybe check headspace even though it is a factory build.. No close on a GO Gage. I once dropped one of the gages with no aparrent damage. I bought another GO Gage just in case. Same result. Headspace looked about .003" short. I lapped the bolt out to correct the engagenent then reamed it to proper headspace.

Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.