M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing up my taxes and I had to go digging for a receipt and came across a piece of paper that I had written down all the drawing numbers from my M1 Garand. I was hoping some of you guys might be able to look it over and tell me if these are the correct parts for the SN or not.

Thanks, Chris

[http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/M1 Garand/e03f1c26.gif]

Springfield Armory M1 Garand SN: 3288xx

Drawing Numbers:

• Receiver: D 28291-13 SA

Barrel: D 35448-7 (might be a –3 can’t tell)
    SA Dated: 8-41

Oprod: D 35382-3 SA

Bolt: D28287-2 SA RE1

Safety: C 46015-6 SA

Hammer: C 46008-2 SA

Trigger Guard: C46025-1-SA

Trigger Group Housing: D 28290-5-SA

·
Registered
170 Posts
yes it looks right. damn that's a pretty stock. any cartouche? wrong rear sights though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the best I can do for a pic of the rear sight, it’s not a lock bar and I’m not really sure what the rifle is supposed to have as far as rear sights go.

[http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/M1 Garand/05d404a8.gif]

As for the stock, it looks pretty good in the pic but not that great in real life. There are no cartouches on it and bubba had gotten a hold of the rifle at some point as he stamped Miami Rifle Club on the bottom side of the stock as well as scratch it onto the left side of the receiver heel as seen in the first pic.

Bubbas brother had also scratched his SSN into two different places on the trigger housing and used a small drill bit to make some tiny holes in an order that represents the same SSN.

[http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/M1 Garand/5c8b6f26.gif]

I have been thinking that I might have the rifle restored. The Miami Rifle Club on the side of the receiver just looks like it wore the finish off. The receiver is too dang hard to have a little hand held dot-matrix etching do too much damage. I might look for another trigger housing, one with the same drawing number but with out the SSN. And refinish the stock if I can get rid of the blemish to the receiver.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you will be surprised at how much you might be able to steam out the stampings in the stock.

The receiver looks refinished already, no harm in refinishing it again. Dean at DGR can do a bang-up job and prolly hide the EP "bubbgraving" but he ain't cheap.

You need "flush nut" rear sights. Hope you got $500 - $800 burning a hole in your pocket. Of course, repros are out there for $100, I know that's all I can afford.

You will also need a narrow base gas cylinder, a plug over the front sight screw, and an arched lower band. I see you have the grooved HG band. You will also need at short fork follower rod and a single-slot gas plug. Northridge has those for $30.00 NEW and Gen-U-Wine USGI, that's as cheap as those get. Repro carbon steel plugs are out there if you want, US armory has decent ones for about $15.

Have fun and good luck. Post more pix and I will help you out as I can.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks delloro, I’m not too sure about most of those parts, but I do know the rifle has a single slot gas plug.

With any luck, I’ll be able to swipe my cousin’s digital camera again this weekend and take some much better pics. If you can give me an idea of what you would like to see, I can get the pics to share.

Thanks again, Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.