M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this sling at the local hospice thrift store. I was pretty sure it was an M1 Garand/M14 canvas sling based on the lower attachment clip, it was just missing the upper hinged buckle. But I figured, for $1.50 I pretty much can't go wrong. When I got it home and compared it, it is the same as other M1/M14 slings that we have in both dimensions and the canvas web. What I cannot identify are the markings that are stamped on it. They appear to be an Asian dialect lettering. I believe it may be Korean, but have only been able to find one picture online with the same markings and it was questioning the country of origin as well. I figured the guru's on here might have some answers. MCORPS1

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looks like a ROK sling to me, I have a South Korean Carbine sling around here somewhere, I remember the markings being very similar. The emblem had an anchor in it, which I think I found out was ROK Marines, I later picked up a pack with the same emblem on it.

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
Yes, it is a cotton web sling from South Korea. I have one just like it. Rather unique item.GI1

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most Vietnam era Garand and M14 slings will be MRT marked and dated. You will find faked MRT look alikes, but the weave on the sling will be noticeably different if you compare it to an original GI MRT marked sling.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Gentleman! I googled the ROK Marines and their Eagle and Anchor emblem does indeed look like that on the sling. Definately a nice find for my first trip to that Thrift store. Now I just need to find an adjustment buckle for it and throw it on one of the rifles! MCORPS1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts