M14 Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I finally got to the range today. First time for many things - new to Quail Creek range just north of the Texas Motor Speedway, first outting with the M21 DMR. Started out very overcast, light drizzle on and off, in the mid 70s. I just wanted to get some practice with the rifle and rough tuning sights so I selected the 25yd range. Loaded 10 rounds into the 20rd mag with PPU SP 150gr , sat down, placed front of rifle on the rest, chambered round, aimed and squeezed trigger. First shot went off, recoil was very manageable, my 71 year old eyes didn't see the hit. I forgot to bring my binoculars! 2nd attempt - squeezed trigger and nothing! Couldn't pull back the operating rod. Rifle was jammed. Range officer noticed what was going on and came by and was able to free the jam by tapping the butt against the table top while pulling down the op rod. We could see the first round was stuck in the chamber so he ran a rod down the barrel to force the round out. The extractor had tried to pull the cartridge out as evidenced by the gouged brass. We surmised that rifle being too new just needed more rounds to break in. So, back to next attempt and it happened again! We decided that I should just try one round in the mag a few times then go to two and so on. This worked well as after 2 single loads went off without any problelms and ejected properly, I tried loading just 2 rounds per and this worked fine. After this, no more jams!! My shots were hitting high so I lowered the rear sight serveral clicks and I could sort of see my hits closer to point in target. I lowered rear sight a few more clicks I think it bottomed out. Didn't have to mess with windage adjustment. But now my hits were very on target. Shot a total of 80 rounds today. Next time I will try to fine tune my sighting and at longer distance. I did noticed I was not aligning my eye with the rear sight properly as I could see the back edge of the sight hole when I fired. Once I jmade the correction I noticed my hits were more consistent and within the target circle. In conclusion, rifle needs a good break-in period, remember next time to bring binoculars and aim properly.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Did you scrub the chamber with a chamber brush before your attempt at the range?
I am mounting a new scope on one of my M21 DMRs in the next couple of days. 5-30X56mm FFP with a 34mm tube. Having more fun than should be allowed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
No, I did not scrub chamber. I was told all I needed was to make sure new rifle was oiled and greased in the right places.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Always a good idea to field strip a new rifle, clean and lube which would include bore and chamber scrubbing. Glad to hear it's running for you.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts