M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats. Welcome aboard. You'll enjoy your rifle so much the only upgrade I can think of would be to your savings account for the ammo you'll be buying.
ph2

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Congratulations on making an excellent decision on a rifle. I think you will really enjoy the quality and function of one of the premier M14 producers.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Many here will recommend a good cleaning and lube before the first range trip.

Another recommendation is shoot it, after cleaning, a few hundred rounds before doing anything to it.

Get a base line first of how it shoots, then make changes one at a time and see if the change improves the rifle or not.

Too many changes at one time and you won't know which one caused the problem.

No need to fall into the "change everything to USGI parts" rabbit hole.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I second the recommendation to shoot if for a time before making and decisions on changes. You may very well find that this rifle does the trick. The M21 DMR is one heck of a tool right from the get go.
Mine are cherished.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All are great replies. I knew this was the right forum to join. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some weakness from Bula/JRA right out of the box that would have reliability issues. Thank you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
This rifle wouldn't be built by JRA. Bula hasn't supplied M14 parts to JRA in almost 18 months. Before your rifle is built, would be a good idea to change the order to NM spring guide and unitized GC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks deuceguy. I will consider modifying rifle once I have a baseline. I called Bula and they are only taking orders by phone and there is a 4-6 week lead time.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Were I driving, I would take directions from the guy who used to build Bula's rifles...

But I'm not driving, so I will now get into the back seat.

Please share pictures when you can.:love:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I ordered one around April 1st, they said delivery in 3 to 4 weeks after order.
Shelley said mine was 1st in line of 5 going to build.
Called around mid June, " . . . behind due to G contracts."
Called 2 weeks ago, Shelley said I'd get it in about two weeks after test firing.
I really wanted this rifle, all built by Bula, and not an erector set build off of gunbroker or armslist or the likes.
In the meantime I actually bought a 5 Line SAI & TRW USGI build (by very reputable guy here) off the PX because I'm such a child with little patience.
Still itching for the Bula though! LOL!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shelley at Bula emailed me that a wood hand guard would not fit the M21 DMR rifle with NM barrel. She said they could sub the modified GI Barrel and the wood hand guard. The Bula website shows all their models with the wood hand guard. Wood hand guard really enhances the look of the rifle but NM barrel enhances accuracy. Hate to have a piece of large plastic on my rifle! What do you all think I should do? Thank you.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Every M14 made between 1960 and 1965 came with a fiberglass handguard. ;)

Some folks have installed them on medium and heavy barrels, but they had to route out a standard one by hand.

You can have them install a fiberglass handguard, but ask them to also send you a matching walnut one for you to play with.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My Bula parts kit came with what could be considered an enhanced spring guide, and it was just a cheap Independence Day sale kit.

The kit was paired with an M21 DMR with their modified USGI profiled 19.25" barrel in a heavy commercial stock, with walnut handguard. The USGI gas cylinder isn't unitized, and the action isn't bedded. It produces 3/4 to 1" groups with the second handload recipe I tried, and under 1 1/2" with my standard 308 accuracy load.

I suggest you try it as it is, and modify it if it doesn't meet whatever standards you have. I have absolutely no plans to modify mine at all.

I have no doubts that it'll be reliable right out of the box.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts