M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a set of LaRue LT-719 rings with a 50mm objective scope?

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-ultra-low-mount-rings-qd

I have an M14 with a Sadlak mount and want to install a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50. The LaRue mounts elevate the centerline of the scope 0.875" above the top of the rail, which my calculations tell me should be enough clearance. I just want to make sure before I drop the coin for the mounts.

TIA.

D3

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
The real issue is the recoil lugs are small and in the center, same place as the channel in the Sadlak mount. LaRue does not recommend using their mounts with any rail that has a channel down the center. I've seen several incidents where the steel mount/channel has chewed up the recoil lug pretty bad and caused the rings to shift.

Just a forewarning about the combo.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The real issue is the recoil lugs are small and in the center, same place as the channel in the Sadlak mount. LaRue does not recommend using their mounts with any rail that has a channel down the center. I've seen several incidents where the steel mount/channel has chewed up the recoil lug pretty bad and caused the rings to shift.

Just a forewarning about the combo.
I've read similar reports about LaRue not fitting Sadlak mounts. How about some ARMS 22 QD instead?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I've read similar reports about LaRue not fitting Sadlak mounts. How about some ARMS 22 QD instead?
ARMS 22's are okay. The lug goes side to side. Just personally not a big fan of ARMS 22's after owning a couple sets. Rather have a bolt on set of rings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, Sadlak and Larue 719 setup owner here, no problems. I run a Bushnell elite tacticool that has an front bell O.D. of 60mm. Mount is the aluminum version. No problems with return to zero. Lug is long enough to grip the channel.

EDIT: channel is ~7.30 mm, lug is ~10.00mm

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Could be due to you having aluminum on aluminum. Similar hardness so no ill effects. Aluminum on steel is a little different.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
No worries, just pointing that out. It's good info for others with aluminum mounts that want LaRue rings or something similar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the answers and advice, FWIW:

1. I will not own an ARMS product - they are perceived as the SEI of the AR world - I wouldn't take one of Swan's products if someone paid me, if it was the last mount on earth or if my life depended on it. If the Supreme Court ordered me to take one I would go to jail rather than comply. If someone gave me one for free I would cut it into pieces and throw them down my driveway (inside AR15.com joke for those who follow the site).

2. I thought the LaRue crossbar would span the Sadlak channel but had never thought of the possibility of a steel mount versus aluminum, thanks for the advice.

I'll do some more research and maybe make a different ring choice. Return to zero is important to me as I usually remove my scopes when I store my rifles in the safe.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I've been using cross bolt style rings for a while and as long as I've torqued them down the same, they've returned to zero each time. I also have witness marks on them in case I remove/install them away from my torque driver. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I appreciate the answers and advice, FWIW:

1. I will not own an ARMS product - they are perceived as the SEI of the AR world - I wouldn't take one of Swan's products if someone paid me, if it was the last mount on earth or if my life depended on it. If the Supreme Court ordered me to take one I would go to jail rather than comply. If someone gave me one for free I would cut it into pieces and throw them down my driveway (inside AR15.com joke for those who follow the site).

2. I thought the LaRue crossbar would span the Sadlak channel but had never thought of the possibility of a steel mount versus aluminum, thanks for the advice.

I'll do some more research and maybe make a different ring choice. Return to zero is important to me as I usually remove my scopes when I store my rifles in the safe.
Funny...I've been building AR's for over 10 years...I feel the same way about LaRue as (you do) about ARMS.
Just sayin...LOL...

·
Registered
67 Posts
American Defense makes some VERY nice QD mounts that work well with any type of rail. I use a recon sl mount on my Fulton scope mount, with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, just received the Burris QD rings and they are heavy, 9ozs. I should have paid more attention to their weight. :) Looks like I'll try again.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Ya those rings are crap i have a pair i cant get rid of.

In the french ita garbagè

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As an update, I returned the Burris rings and went with the LaRue 719s. I've not fired this one yet, but here's the rifle with a Sadlak mount and the LaRue rings with a 50mm objective lens optic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts