M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see what most people were running optics-wise on their Scout rifles. I just picked up my rifle last Friday and wanted to mount some form of optics. I'm not sure which way to go and wanted to collect some opinions from guys who actually had optics on their rifles.

1. Magnified, "scout" scope forward mounted of receiver
2. Electronic dot sight forward mounted
3. Magnified scope mounted on receiver
4. Electronic dot sight mounted on receiver
5. Some other set-up

As far as what I plan to use my rifle for, I figure some shots within 50 yards as well as shots out to 200 yards might be called for. Mostly just paper & other targets, but I would like the option to be able to use it hunting for mule deer & elk in the timber (gotta love that quick follow-up shot!).

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Good question .... :wink:

Though I do not own one of these I really could'nt say which is the better set up but I think most here that own that style weapon have the "forward" scopes/mounts ...

You could have left your thread in The Firing Line Forum as it may get a bit more visiblity there ... Saw where you had removed your Poll which was okay too ...

I am sure others will respond with their thoughts ...

Good Luck ..

Six

G

·
Scout Optics

I have botha Bush Carbine and a Scout.
The scout has the M-2 dot sight. Great sight, supper out to 200 yds. Great for second follow up shots or the quick snap shot.
The Bush Carbine has a Springfield 6x Scope on a ARMS mount. Can't beat it out to about 600 yds. See guys shoot great with M-14's carrying a 6x scope.
Figure what the heck if I can't hit it with a 308 and 6x scope time to call in the big boys.
HooYaaaa

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2X simmons handgun scope mounted on my M1A standard. Though not an actual "scout" rifle, playing around with it in the house and back yard, I've gotten REAL comfortable with the rig. I will zero & fire it Saturday, I'll let you know how it does. No batteries, no worries.

CC

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Scout scope and mount

I'm also running the AimPoint CompML2 secured by an ARMS 22M68 mount and ring.
It's everything ergobob said it is :D

I would like to try a Leupold Scout Scope and see what a little magnification will do for me.
I'm waiting on the new illuminated version. Until then, I use the great irons for precision work.

I really like the forward mount :mrgreen:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well, I'm going to the range today with an Eotech sitting on a Smith Enterprise receiver mount that I finally (after a year :roll:) mounted on my M1A bush rifle.

I'll let you know...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am pleased!!
It took about 5 shots to get it on paper
5 more to get it on target.
The Smith mount is rock solid on the receiver and the Eotech worked like a champ
I also put a Hakko BED 35 on my SU-16 and boy, what a difference that made.
Another SU-16 shooter tried mine out and said he would order one that night
I am truly impressed by how fast and accurate these holo sights are

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.