M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello all, I have just purchased a new M21. I am looking to mount a scope. I see that there ae many mounts out there at many price ranges. I am looking for a quality mount, Who makes a great mount?
Thank you

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
A lot of companies do... And people always recommend their favorite one. I personally recommend the Sadlak Airborne mount if you plan to mount the scope and it stays in place. However if you are the indecisive sort you may want to check out the Bassett low picatinny mount that allows you to remove or install it with minimal effect to your zero. If I had to use a scope mount it'd be the Sadlak since if I'm going to scope it, it's going to be scoped and that's that. No need to go back and forth.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
He is right, it is like asking what is the best color of paint, you will get many answers....He is also right , in my opinion about the fixed scope rig and the removable. I chose an Arms # 18 mount though,... and Arms #22 Throw Lever for my next purchase. I had the Promag copy of it and liked it ok, and even made it into an Airborne mount by cutting out the middle Picatinny Rails. On my new one I will do the same and also skeletonize it further...thinking about the Jolly Roger and an Ivory inlay in the background on the left side....heh heh heh DI5

·
Registered
335 Posts
I used a Sadlak steel mount on my M1A M21 and it works great but should have gone with a Basset mount instead. Would have been a lot less trouble and much less expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the displeasure of going through several scope mount types before finally finding one that suit my need. The first mount that I had was a Springfield Armory 3rd Generation snope mount with the two screw knobs. It worked OK, but would come lose after a few shots and zero would go away like a fart in the wind. The second mounting system I had was an Arms #18 mount. I liked that mount system, but the catch with it, I found, was that it sits too low on the reciever and I couldnt find the correct highth in scope rings to account for the distance between the rear sight and the scope. The third scope mount system I tried was a UTG front rail system. The UTG is a great rail system, though the screws seem to be made of a rather soft metal, locktite would be needed to ensure a tight fit. Also, the UTG rail wont work on a Medium weight or Heavy barrel. The fourth, and final, scope mount system I have is the Sadlak scope mount. I was lucky enough to find one at an army surplus store near me for $20. Yeah you read that right, $20. perfect condition and painted desert tan. Still had the rear dovetail mount and all the screws minus the screw that goes into the M1A reciever, but that was an easy fix. Ive found that the Sadlak gives me the best accuracy. Coupled with an Osprey Int. scope on some Arms #22 throw lever scope rings, its a winning combo. I do plan on getting a ART scope eventually which will be mounted on the Sadlak mount. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A lot of companies do... And people always recommend their favorite one. I personally recommend the Sadlak Airborne mount if you plan to mount the scope and it stays in place. However if you are the indecisive sort you may want to check out the Bassett low picatinny mount that allows you to remove or install it with minimal effect to your zero. If I had to use a scope mount it'd be the Sadlak since if I'm going to scope it, it's going to be scoped and that's that. No need to go back and forth.
I like the Bassett low picatinny mount.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went with the sadlak steel mount and i love it, i lovr that it has the channel so i can still use my irons. i mounted a nightforce 2.5 x10

·
Registered
424 Posts
I found my mount was also contingent on the scope I choose. I hate to turkey neck it for eye relief and some of the shorter scopes don't bring the rear ocular past the rifle heel on standard mounts. If you choose a shorter scope with a short front and a longer space in the rear for ring placement, you won't be able to slide it back far enough for natural eye relief when mounting. This was a slight issue with my USO SN-3 scope, but was solved with LRB's/Sadlak's M25 extended rail.

However, for your rifle, I have to second No Expert's recommendation on the Sadlak Airborn mount, and if you have the money their Titanium mount, but if you're going to use a shorter than standard 12 inch long scope, a great choice is the GDI M14 Mount:
http://www.gdiengineering.com/products/g1-0sm-optical-sight-mount-275.html
I mounted this on my SEI M14 and it's rock solid and puts the Leupold Mark 4 Med range rear ocular well back behind the heel. It's a bitch to mount but well worth the time because it has never shifted zero after 1000 rounds of heavy use of hitting and rolling, prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing position changes, not to mention being knocked around on my cartridge belt when slung.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've also used the Springfield third generation mount. I had the same results as others have had. My next mount is the Sadlak steel mount, very good mount. I use it on my loaded.

On my standard I picked up a Bassett machine low mount. I still don't see how this mount can hold, but it does.Take it off put it back on, no loss of zero. Only the one 3/8ths bolt, a great engineering feat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts