M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchase a firearm I keep the box/case in my attic and the manuals and reciepts locked up in a fire safe. Many times if you sell a fire it has more value if you have the box. But what about costly optics and accessories. Of course I keep the manual and receipts but is it worth it to keep the boxes and cases. Typically once I mount and plumb a scope or optic it pretty much stays with the firearm in the safe or case. I'm not talking about inexpensive parts like lens covers and such. Most quality part comes in a serial numbered case matching the part. Heck some optics like ACOGs and such come in Pelican cases. Space really isn't an issue. It's not a time consuming matter. And some boxes like the Nightforce boxes just collapse and lay flat. Is it worth keeping the boxes and cases to high dollar items that I'll likely never put the item back in again?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Always a good idea to keep the boxes, manuals, instruction sheets, and packing materials (Styrofoam pieces)for high end optics in case you ever need to ship them out for repair.

Always a plus if you, or whomever inherits your stuff, decides to sell them off at a later date.

Attics are not a good place to store boxes, heat, humidity, bugs,rats, mice, ect, will take their toll over time even if well sealed in plastic bags.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
When I read a 'used' item ad and the seller includes the words, "Original box and paper work" & "Original receipt included" or the like, I think, "There is somebody who takes care of his stuff" and I expect it will be in very good or excellent condition. I don't think I'm alone in my thought process. So yes, there is a value. And - What could it hurt to keep them?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
My personal opinion is it doesn't necessarily add financial value to the gun or item your selling but ads a degree of desirability that may help you sell it, maybe not for more but probably instead of.
Let me give you an example:
If there were 2 exact guns side by side and in the same condition and one had original box and papers and the other didn't and the one without was cheaper, I would choose the cheaper one, I think most would. On the other hand if they were the same price then you would buy the one with all the box and papers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guy. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't batty for keeping empty boxes. On the plus side see them for some reason makes me appreciate them more. A good percentage of the time many of the item remain out of sight in a case or safe, so the only reminder at times is the box. As for storage environment my attic is insulated and climate controlled, my ham shack is up there, it even has a small bathroom and bedroom (that was once a servants quarters at the turn of the century) that my wife uses as a sewing/craft room. There's no bats, rats, or raccoons... there is a cat but she's on our side

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.