M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Noob question here. Is the m14's action/operation hard on optics. My brother burned through 2 optics (reticle disappeared) on his SCAR 17s before he finally bought a Trijicon. With the m14/m1a having a similar recoil impulse IMO; will this be an issue? I intend to buy either an aimpoint 9000, or saving for a trijicon VCOG.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello All,
Noob question here. Is the m14's action/operation hard on optics. My brother burned through 2 optics (reticle disappeared) on his SCAR 17s before he finally bought a Trijicon. With the m14/m1a having a similar recoil impulse IMO; will this be an issue? I intend to buy either an aimpoint 9000, or saving for a trijicon VCOG.
M14 isn’t too hard on optics.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My personal experience says YES, the M1a is hard on scopes. I personally went through three scopes (2 Vortex and one Burris) until I finally put on a Leopold. I would think that either the VCOG or Aimpoint would work just fine for you.

Reactions: RJBowzer

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My advice is to buy QUALITY optics; then it isn't such an issue. Years ago, I had to send one bargain brand scope back three times under warranty that I had mounted on my M1A. They finally stopped honoring the warranty on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My advice is to buy QUALITY optics; then it isn't such an issue.
Yeah, my friend always told me the optic price should be equal to or greater than the rifle. Since I got a Bula, I think a Trijicon or Aimpoint would be a proper fit.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Cheap optics only seem to work out for wall hangers and safe queens over the long haul. As they say, buy once , cry once and go for the quality optics if you expect it to work when you need it. Deciding on the power you need for your application should the determining factor.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Conventional wisdom says that the M14 is hard on optics. I personally would not put an optic that costs less than $800.00 MSRP on it. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
509 Posts
7.62 Gas guns recoil in both directions. Many hunting scopes and wannabe tactical scopes aren't designed for that. The big difference is the way the lenses and erector tube are supported.
I am having issues with a Mark 4 M1 as I write this. My Schmidt Bender, NF or Swarvoski has never failed maintaining 0. In addition, prior to my Mark 4, my Leupolds were excellent. In fairness, L provides great CS.

·
"Death From Above"
11,533 Posts
Most optics these days will either list or the manufacturer will tell you what caliber the scope can handle. I recently picked up 2 steiner scopes and they claim they are good up to 50bmg. its not like I am building a 20mm anytime soon. I don't know if they just say this or if they actually tested the scopes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, my friend always told me the optic price should be equal to or greater than the rifle. Since I got a Bula, I think a Trijicon or Aimpoint would be a proper fit.
That is pretty much what I have gone by, even if I have to buy one then build the funds for the other. Trijicon Accupoint would be a great optic.

Funny thing about recoil, I understand the worst case is a high powered spring pellet gun. The recoil hard in both directions. I have a RWS Diana 54 I had to stake the scope rails.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How about US Optics?

They have started coming out with lines of scopes that are more affordable, as has NF.

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,695 Posts
I got a (deleted) made in japan bushnell 10x40. (Made hits on 500 yard steel) Only cost 300$ and is built like a tank. Keep in mind its fixed and made in japan. Good luck finding that on any cheap optics today.

·
Registered
820 Posts
SWFA scopes have a good rep for being durable.

I have the middle-of-the-road ($300) 10X and 12X fixed SS models, but there are higher-end variable models available as well.

If your budget permits (sounds like it does), NF is going to be hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Not bad. Never thought of driving nails with one of mine. Heck, that's better than the tack driver we used to make fun of.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts