M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is getting a lot of attention quickly, this could mean there are many that are concerned. If that is the case, why don't we do something about it, something like letting the people that make Opt Rods hear our voices.

To complain is not going to have an affect, or is that effect? The solution, or one of them is, to suggest to people like Ron Smith we would like to see an Opt Rod made differently... I would like to have a Rod that has an oversize Tab as well as an slightly oversize tube.. This way, both could be worked down to fit my particular Rifles and Rod Guides. Others may have suggestions that could be build in as well.. This to me sounds like a very good way to SELL A LOY OF RODS rather than dealing with unhappy customers... Maybe if we send a Dairy Queen gift cert. to Ron we can get positive results.. . GI2

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Art, I see two major things against that.

The first is people are going to complain the special op rods are out of spec and that will lead to people complaining that all SEI op rods are bad. It wouldn't matter if SEI found a way to put an atomic powered neon sign that had a half life of 25 years on the special op rods proclaiming "HAS TO BE GUNSMITH FITTED," the "word" on the internet would be those op rods are junk.

Second, it costs more money to make them and there would not be near the numbers of people who want them, making them more difficult to sell. That would further drive the cost up. Combine that with the first item mentioned and I would not do it if I were SEI or anyone else.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
As an example on their initial production run, Chris at 7.62mm thought it was a good idea to make the op rod channel tighter than spec on the earliest receivers - so all the worn op rods could still be fitted and used. He thought he was doing shooters and builders a favor and all he got was grief on it.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oversize tabs

Art, I see two major things against that.

The first is people are going to complain the special op rods are out of spec and that will lead to people complaining that all SEI op rods are bad. It wouldn't matter if SEI found a way to put an atomic powered neon sign that had a half life of 25 years on the special op rods proclaiming "HAS TO BE GUNSMITH FITTED," the "word" on the internet would be those op rods are junk.

Second, it costs more money to make them and there would not be near the numbers of people who want them, making them more difficult to sell. That would further drive the cost up. Combine that with the first item mentioned and I would not do it if I were SEI or anyone else.

Hello Gus, Hope it is warmer there than here, I have a Dog under each arm..

Your comments are well received, I have notice people do complain more often than they read the instructions, I'm famous for doing so..

Maybe somebody else will offer a suggestion or two, improvement starts with an idea. There was a time when Opt Rods became scarce, this was in the late 1970's, also Bolts, the commercial people made cast copies, not very good, but they kept things going. I silver soddered one up and it lasted over a year, several thousand rounds down range 103. Mike Gringer made me a present of a slightly used GI rod when he heard about my troubles. Good man, we all miss him..

Starting a discussion on this subject is my small way to start people thinking, who knows what may result. "Wonder what's under that Fig leaf"? Stay well. Art

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Hi Art!

I agree, but think that rather the manufacturers allow the purchaser to select between the options of a "standard grade" that is drop in and a "select grade" that requires hand fitting. That could be the best of both worlds. I concur with Gunny Fisher that it could also open a can of worms regardless of how well the differentiation was made. This same principle could apply to some other parts as well.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
576 Posts
This my perspective from the average joe! The M14 is a completely different weapon than the space guns produced of today IE the big names or tier one so to speak. There must be an understanding when stepping into this platform one has to gain a lot of knowledge and respect for such a finely engineered machine.

Thank you Art & Gus and the rest of the gurus for such pricise schooling!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.