M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a real paranoid person but I am a realist and have come to see a need to store some food up for my family's emergency needs. Besides grabbing bulk rice & beans at Sam's Club and adding in extras during our weekly shopping trips we've looked around a lot over the last couple of years online for sources of bulk foods to purchase that we actually like. We tried a few of the major players and came to appreciate Mountain House products as well as the sales that we could get from making larger purchases at a popular online retailer of these products.

Now for the reason of this post....

About a year or so ago we made a rather large bulk order from this company, about 1/2 of it arriving in 6 gal. buckets and the remainder in boxes. This shipment came via freight (a tractor trailer delivered it) to our house and to my surprise the pallets were wrapped in shrink wrap only. Now I have the driver and all my neighbors fully aware that I just ordered a years worth of food stores!! I contacted the company directly after getting the goods inside the house as I had made it clear before hand that I wanted my goods packed and delivered unmarked with advertising as much as possible. They agreed but we obviously have different ideas of what this means.

Fast forward to today, we're currently in the middle of a move to a new house and have to vacate our present one next week. We're moving all of the household goods into storage and guess what is giving me more grief than anything else? Yup, you guessed it, the labeled food preps!

We've got something like 25 - 6 gal. buckets and 50 boxes labeled with giant beaming advertising as to what's in them. We've got movers, neighbors, family, friends, storage facility workers & customers that will all see what we have if we don't cover up labels somehow. This is a giant pain in the ass to have to deal with in the middle of a move.

My point in all this is to share with the members my situation so that you can avoid this should you happen to go down the same road. If you purchase storage buckets online through these companies I'd suggest not buying those that come labeled with their company advertising. Big white buckets with giant green and black lettering stacked up deep really sends a message when it's seen - not good opsec.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Dry wall boxes work for putting the buckets in for you?
Yeah, if spray painting or something similar won't do the trick, boxes for the pails are all I can think of to give you op sec. Label the boxes "books" or "clothing" (depending on the weight), tape them shut, and if you're using movers (and if you can), maybe put some actual books or magazines or clothing right under the lids. If necessary, pad the sides with newspaper or towels, clothing, etc (two birds with one stone there) so the buckets won't shift around inside in a non-booklike manner. Even though boxes are more normal things to move, you obviously will also have to paint over or repack all your labelled emergency boxes- maybe you can rent something for all this. It may be of comfort to reflect that doing all this will also give your supplies better op sec once they're stored in the new location.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My business sells between 10-20k boxes of food service(restaurants and national distributors) sales a day. Boxes cost between .47-$1.12 ea depending on size. By law they have to list the company name and address, product, storage instructions, and count or weight on each box. The costs to change the boxes in a packing line are considerable as well.
The only way your request works for a large company is to bring your own packaging to their warehouse and wait for each seperate item to to go through the packaging line and then they will throw your unmarked containers on at the end. Easier for both, which is what they did, is to let you repackage once you accept delivery.
If their boxes are like mine, their is information on all six panels. It would cost you more in time and materials than to go buy unmarked new boxes. You could also buy boxes with heavier paper so you can stack them higher. Those stronger boxes will also last longer. If all goes as most hope, and there is no need, you will have to repackage in a year or so anyways when the boxes begin to get brittle.
The buckets sound like an easy fix. If you have young kids, make a family project out of it and have some fun.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Yep, if folks saw all that here in Wyoming, it would definitely Label you...

As A MORMAN !!!

GI5

(no big deal to anyone...)

CAVman in WYoming

5,445 Posts
If you think the food label advertising is troublesome... you should see what happens when you have products shipped to you from military gear and firearm dealers... your UPS delivery guy suddenly has "sticky fingers" and keeps your packages/items for himself.

Vendors should know better... discretion is of the utmost importance. Always.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yep, if folks saw all that here in Wyoming, it would definitely Label you...

As A MORMAN !!!

(no big deal to anyone...)

CAVman in WYoming
Must be nice...;)

If you think the food label advertising is troublesome... you should see what happens when you have products shipped to you from military gear and firearm dealers... your UPS delivery guy suddenly has "sticky fingers" and keeps your packages/items for himself.
...so I'm not in a Mormon-heavy area, but at least something like THAT does not tend to happen here (helps that it's a small-town kind of place where I know the UPS guy)...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
As for the boxes I'd just empty them and open up both ends. Once you do that cut down one of the corners and turn it inside out and tape up the bottom and corner and fill it back up again. I've done it for shipping items in the past instead of buying new boxes. Another thing I've done when moving is to go to local restaurants and asked them if they could save the french fry boxes for me to do this, decent size and fairly sturdy.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
After some thought........ I would simply get on with my move. There is high dollar / valuable commodities moving on the roads every day. Most go unnoticed.

A large percentage of the population would not even take time to read a label on a bucket that is being shipped. When the SHTF, 98% of the population is going to raid the grocery stores. A very, very small percentage even know where the giant food storage warehouses are even located.

When the $heeple go into a panic mode they will only remember what they have seen for the past few days.

Hobo

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,706 Posts
I used to have every thing shipped to where I worked and then I took it home, would this work for you? you could take it home a little at a time.

Casey

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
After some thought........ I would simply get on with my move. There is high dollar / valuable commodities moving on the roads every day. Most go unnoticed.

A large percentage of the population would not even take time to read a label on a bucket that is being shipped. When the SHTF, 98% of the population is going to raid the grocery stores. A very, very small percentage even know where the giant food storage warehouses are even located.

When the $heeple go into a panic mode they will only remember what they have seen for the past few days.

Hobo
ICONLOL Prior to enlisting I worked for Sysco which was located about an hour away and said at that time to be(along with the LA warehouse) the largest food industry distribution facility in the country. Since then they've moved the location to about twenty minutes from me and I'd say easily tripled in size. I've met folks who live down the street from them(½ a mile or so) and said they have no idea what exactly what Sysco does for business. All they seem to know about it is there are trucks coming and going all day long, and that they happy they moved in because the company built a highway on/off ramp when they put the facility in.

Edit: Here it is from Google Earth viewing at 2500ft during the building a few years ago.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I ship it to my office or my brothers. Then it goes in the truck with a tarp over it to get it home.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I just go about my move, but document everyone who gets a look at my stuff, then after I'm settled in at the new place, I go around and kill everyone on that list. I don't like attention being drawn to my stuff. I've moved so much that most people are trained to not eyeball my stuff anymore.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Not intending to 'poke' anybody here...

But each time someone posts...the same thought comes to me---

If 'OpSec with (JUST) Food Storage' is a real concern to a guy...

Maybe you have much bigger issues at hand!

But probably you already knew that!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm thinking you going to have your hands full with family and friends coming to your place if the balloon goes up. Neighbors and service contractors will be the least of your problems. That is why the M 14 has a 20 rd magazine instead of 8 rds.The only situation I would see as an issue is if the Government made food hoarding illegal and someone turned you in for the reward. Remember to them you are a job or service, most people are far to distracted with themselves or their phones to think about being observant or planning for the future

1 - 15 of 15 Posts