M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest, and I enjoy seeing other fellow "gunny" peoples stuff.

But, everytime I see one of these "Show me your stuff" threads all I can think is OPSEC.

For the most part, all of us can be found quite simply by a few minutes on Google, via Your "On site" Name and Location.

I was just looking at the "Show me your reloading room" thread and was able to locate , quite readily, numerous peoples probable addresses.

I am a honest person... but sadly the world is full of bad people.

I strongly suggest members use names that can not be traced easily back to you and do not give out your location.

Make sure there is nothing visible in your photos that can be used to identify your location. Nothing ,no zip codes on packages ,area codes, etc. or such.

Just food for thought.

Just for securities sake, please review your info and adjust as you see fit.

Again just my 2 cents.

Mods, I picked this specific forum because most reloading rooms photos are at the members home addresses.

If this thread is improper... please lock or delete.

Thank You.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree Foosh, COMSEC (I think internet posting would be communications vs operational issues)

I still like to post the reloading room pictures, but as you mentioned over the past few years I have started to refrain from posting pictures of every new gun I might acquire.

Of late I also have stopped discussing the exact amount of ammo and powder and primers and brass I have hand. I have realized that at this point in time there is nothing to be gained by sharing that info online. Other that possibly feeding information to some anti gun nut, that might give it to the media.

I mean really the media eats that's crap up, like that waste of human perv that was shot in NYC... he had .32 pistol(I have several but...I'm not sure a .32 even counts as a gun :) and he had get this twenty...yes 2-0 rounds of ammo in his pocket, a whole 20 rounds, and media thinks that is a lot??

Could you imagine what the media would say about most of our ammo inventories they will paint everyone one of us as some kind of nut case for having 10's of thousands of rounds of ammo on hand. So lets not feed the beast.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My sentiments exactly. Isn't this a strange new world, when we have to hide our faces to talk about our favorite subject? Can anyone say "Warsaw, Poland, 1943"?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Do cellphone pics have inbedded gps information?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10mmShooter your verbiage is much better.

Very correct about the media.... they will say anything to you, just to get you to read, watch and listen to them. Right or wrong doesn't matter to them.... just better ratings.

My true concern that prompted this thread is theft.

Most of us do not share with the public our firearms or reloading info, yet will come on to the internet and share it all with anyone / everyone.

I am not saying we should stop sharing.... just maybe we should think twice before giving to much casual info.

Mods is there a way to share photos anonymously ?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do cellphone pics have inbedded gps information?
Yes....

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/smartphonepix.asp

4. Don't share your location

Smartphone cameras are great for the casual shutterbug. You can snap pictures no matter where you go and post them online.

Of course, if you aren't careful you're also sharing your location with everyone. Smartphones can embed GPS information into photos that anyone can read.

You could turn off GPS when you're taking pictures. To turn it off on your iPhone, go to Settings>>Privacy Location Services. You can turn it off for everything or just for the camera.

On an Android, go to Settings>>Location Services and turn GPS off when you don't need it. For Windows Phone, go to Settings>>Location to turn off Location Services.

Of course, you might forget. To see and remove photo information before posting, grab an app like PixelGarde.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
When I'm driving around I see a lot of guys that have their setup in their garage and the door is up all the time. Maybe not best practice but I'm guessing they're retired and home, have an alarm for when they're not, have neighbors watching, have huge mean dogs, etc. I'm guessing some security measures are in place. I'm guessing many here have security as well.
m14brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts