M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my m14 apart today for some tinkering. Noticed this right away.

Shot a message to Bula defense. I’ll let you guys know what they say. They’ve taken care of me pretty well in the past so I’m not too worried about it. Rifle has a fairly low round count of about 400 total rounds shot since 2018 when I bought the rifle.

In the mean time is there anything that can be done with this oprod to make it operational again? Or is it junk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
That's interesting. The only oprod, USGI or commercial, that I have ever seen separate was a Mercury Tool & Machine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it immediately stood out to me as something not being right lol

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I am quite sure they will take care of you as well. I had an issue sent them a quick email with a picture and I had a call tag before the end of the day. This was a couple years ago but I’m sure nothing has changed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am quite sure they will take care of you as well. I had an issue sent them a quick email with a picture and I had a call tag before the end of the day. This was a couple years ago but I’m sure nothing has changed.
Yeah I had a trigger spring guide snap on this rifle back on 2019. I made a ticket and ended up getting a call from the head armorer at Bula. We determined it was an issue with heat treatment that caused the failure. They had a replacement in the mail that day. I’m sure they’ll take care of me without issue

·
Registered
39 Posts
That’s interesting. Is that crack where the tube is attached to the forging? Would that normally be welded?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I’m pretty sure that the tube is normally welded to the forging. The weld must have broken loose. The tube can basically be pulled back and forth now.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I had one of mine break like that and they replaced it. I had replaced it with a GI one and have never bothered to install the new Bula one

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Took my m14 apart today for some tinkering. Noticed this right away.

Shot a message to Bula defense. I’ll let you guys know what they say. They’ve taken care of me pretty well in the past so I’m not too worried about it. Rifle has a fairly low round count of about 400 total rounds shot since 2018 when I bought the rifle.

In the mean time is there anything that can be done with this oprod to make it operational again? Or is it junk?

Your op rod is junk. The machine operator brazed it without cleaning, degreasing and drying. If you separate the tube, you'll see voids in the weld left from the oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased a new op rod from Bula over a year ago.
At the union connecting the 2 separate pieces it was unfinished and rough appearing.
I had it tested, came back not welded but brazed, was advised not to use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe I am over simplifying it, but isn’t this joint loaded entirely in compression. Brazed joints can be quite strong, but I suppose the vibration is what killed it.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I noticed that, but wasn’t sure what I was looking at. In that case, this op rod was held together by nothing (friction?) for 400 rounds? That would be hard to believe.
If you used a press fit yes it would hold together for a while.

The original pieces were flash welded together. With these materials, brazing, either furnace or torch, is not recommended.

It could be fixed by completely separating the pieces, cleaning up the mating surfaces, and welding it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This not a brazed joint. It is a welded joint. Brazing uses silicon bronze or phosphors bronze as a filler. There is no evidence of bronze in the weld zone. If it were brazed it would also show up in the phosphating process since copper alloys do not phosphate. The weld did not fail due to oil, dirt or water contamination. If this was the case there would porosity in weld zone from the surface down into the base metal. This weld failed due to lack of weld penetration into the base metal of the forging and the tube extension. The only op-rod I have ever seen that was braze or silver soldered was the a replacement piston head on an M1 Garand op-rod.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On a second look it also looks like this tube had some other quality issues as well. There may have been some stress risers machined into the inside of the tube extension during the manufacturing process. Very similar to a tubing cutter in reverse. put enough force on it, it will brake on the cut line. Billybob defense strikes again.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This not a brazed joint. It is a welded joint. Brazing uses silicon bronze or phosphors bronze as a filler. There is no evidence of bronze in the weld zone. If it were brazed it would also show up in the phosphating process since copper alloys do not phosphate. The weld did not fail due to oil, dirt or water contamination. If this was the case there would porosity in weld zone from the surface down into the base metal. This weld failed due to lack of weld penetration into the base metal of the forging and the tube extension. The only op-rod I have ever seen that was braze or silver soldered was the a replacement piston head on an M1 Garand op-rod.
This guy still doesn't get it. 😂😂😂😂

1 - 20 of 36 Posts