M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to install a GI oprod onto my SA. seems like it hits the bottom of the barrel. any ideas where to remove metal to make it fit?

thanks, shot

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guys its binding to the point i have to snap it into the rail, then pry it out to remove. it impedes function by not letting the rod fall free if pulled all the way back.
i have to remove from the oprod to insure the fit of the original.
shot

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dig, i have the two SA's from my other rifles. they both go on wothout any trouble. the GI op rod fits fine on the loaded, with a SA barrel. theres a flat on the bottom of that barrel. i'de rather not touch the barrel, so its a lil off and check, then a lil more.

shot

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the barrel is a winchester,GI, std contour. and when the rod is in place its perfectly lined up with the gas cyl/piston. movement of the rod is fine untill it contacts the base of the barrel.
i really dont want to take any off the bottom of the barrel so as to keep it in its original configuration. i'm worried if i do, the SA rod may not work properly, like jump the rail or something.
after some filing/polishing the rod fits and doesnt bind, however the amount of metal left at the top where it rides under the barrel is very thin. worries me that the guide may split it?

one more cup of joe and i'm off to the local gun show to see if any are out there.
we'll keep you posted

shot

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks tom but i already went to work on the oprod and got it to fit. runout is fine and seems to line up correctly.

went to a gunshow this morn and found a used TRW oprod for $50.00 with a brand new spring. well this one doesnt hit the bottom of the barrel but had to be fitted to the rail. line up to the gas cyl is off just a litttle.

maybe someday ill run into another winchester rod and pick it up, just to see. who knows?

dont know if i got anywhere or if i ruined a good rod but im learning fast as i go.

the plot thickens !

shot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.