M14 Forum banner

oprod fit

1038 12
trying to install a GI oprod onto my SA. seems like it hits the bottom of the barrel. any ideas where to remove metal to make it fit?

thanks, shot
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha Shotgun:

Several of my M14 type rifles has the op rod "rub" the bottom of the barrel. It does not impede functionality. I have used grease in that area to make the action smoother.

I have noticed that over time, it will smooth itself out. I wouldn't take metal off the op rod if at all possible. If it is a big problem, then you might try different op rods or see if there is a reason why it is in that condition. But simple contact is normal. The op rod rails are NOT precise like the rails of a tuned 1911. It has some slop to insure full function all the time, normally.

Aloha and Good Luck!

Tom O.

·
Registered
49 Posts
op-rod fit

Is it binding on the barrel or just rubbing lightly. Both my M1As do touch the barrel and have over time made a small shinny line under it and the op rod. I think this is normal. I even changed one rod out for a GI one and it does exactlly the same. as long as its not jamming up on the barrel I think its OK.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guys its binding to the point i have to snap it into the rail, then pry it out to remove. it impedes function by not letting the rod fall free if pulled all the way back.
i have to remove from the oprod to insure the fit of the original.
shot

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dig, i have the two SA's from my other rifles. they both go on wothout any trouble. the GI op rod fits fine on the loaded, with a SA barrel. theres a flat on the bottom of that barrel. i'de rather not touch the barrel, so its a lil off and check, then a lil more.

shot

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Howdy shotgun,

If it works O.K. on another rifle then removing just a little metal from the barrel won't hurt it.

If the same op-rod binds on another rifle then the op-rod could be bent out of spec.

warbird out

·
Banned
572 Posts
What kind of barrel is it rubbing on? is it a heavy? when the oprod is installed and forward is it in line perfectly with the tail of the gas cylinder? if it isn't it will be crooked and will rub somewhere on the barrel. Usualy it is caused by the guide being off but sometimes a misindexed barrel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the barrel is a winchester,GI, std contour. and when the rod is in place its perfectly lined up with the gas cyl/piston. movement of the rod is fine untill it contacts the base of the barrel.
i really dont want to take any off the bottom of the barrel so as to keep it in its original configuration. i'm worried if i do, the SA rod may not work properly, like jump the rail or something.
after some filing/polishing the rod fits and doesnt bind, however the amount of metal left at the top where it rides under the barrel is very thin. worries me that the guide may split it?

one more cup of joe and i'm off to the local gun show to see if any are out there.
we'll keep you posted

shot

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Hey Shotgun,

Just for some background, do you think you can shoot some pics of this op rod problem? If you like, you can send them to me and I can post them for you... it would sure be good to see what you are seeing.

Just a thought.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks tom but i already went to work on the oprod and got it to fit. runout is fine and seems to line up correctly.

went to a gunshow this morn and found a used TRW oprod for $50.00 with a brand new spring. well this one doesnt hit the bottom of the barrel but had to be fitted to the rail. line up to the gas cyl is off just a litttle.

maybe someday ill run into another winchester rod and pick it up, just to see. who knows?

dont know if i got anywhere or if i ruined a good rod but im learning fast as i go.

the plot thickens !

shot

·
Registered
822 Posts
Assemble the bolt and oprod to the barrel group and leave the spring out of the assembly. Rock the assembly back and forth and the bolt should open and close by the mere weight of the oprod and bolt itself. Should be no binding at any place during this travel. Clickity click, clickity clack.

Same same for the M1 Rifle and M1 Carbine.

-- Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.